• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Personality & Development: Meowth: Reviewing the characterization of anime Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Personality & Development: Meowth: Reviewing the characterization of anime Pokémon

The closest Personality & Development will ever come to subjecting a human character. Bulbanews columnist Thomas Smithurst explores the connotations of the actions done by a much loved character across the entire world.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Personality & Development: Meowth: Reviewing the characterization of anime Pokémo

There's a grammatical error near the bottom, should be "than" not "then" =P

I was a little disappointed that Giovanni's Persian wasn't mentioned since, in the original series at least, that damned cat always seemed to be Meowth's number one rival!

Still, a very interesting article. The stuff about Meowth's relationship with Giovanni was the best bit in my opinion.

Re: Personality & Development: Meowth: Reviewing the characterization of anime Pokémo

I knew this would be an interesting read when I saw the title. :) Especially the "Nyasu's way of falling in love" part was fun.

I sorta wish this would've been written after the BW episode that airs in August, which seems to involve Nyasu getting fired and possibly getting some character development. Hopefully that episode will bring out new things about the kitty. Anyway, for a big Nyasu fan like me it was a good article to read. (I wish you would've mentioned Inuko Inuyama in the voice actors, though! I adore her so much.)

(I wish you would've mentioned Inuko Inuyama in the voice actors, though! I adore her so much.)

Very much agreed on this. She's the one who makes the character.

The article had a bunch of inaccuracies, but it did it's job well enough for those that don't follow the anime.

Very much agreed on this. She's the one who makes the character.

The article had a bunch of inaccuracies, but it did it's job well enough for those that don't follow the anime.

What inaccuracies are they then?

What inaccuracies are they then?

Whether or not the writers purposely created a thick personality for Meowth

We already know from Shudo's blogs a lot of thought was put behind the making of his character. It would have been nice if that was mentioned.

Although Meowth is a famous villain, he is not at all a good criminal.

That should be in past tense since he is now.

Like Jessie and James, Meowth stays loyal to Team Rocket, despite the organization not giving him fulfillment in his life.

It does give him fulfillment though.

Still to this day, Meowth has always believed Giovanni values him and strives to please him, apparently accomplishing such before Best Wishes series.

I don't know why apparently is here since DP191 explained their promotion.

Their relationship can be seen as childish due to the constant bickering and the fall-outs between them.

This is no longer true.

If Meowth was ever to actually leave the anime’s main cast and begin appearing as infrequently as Misty and Tracey, uproar would surely begin amongst fans

This seems pretty doubtful.

for Meowth is definitely one of the most loved characters Japan has ever produced and may even be more popular than Pikachu.

None of this is true.

Then there's the complaint I already mentioned about ignoring his original VA.

It also feels like the article jumps around too much with pre BW and BW stuff mixed together.

We already know from Shudo's blogs a lot of thought was put behind the making of his character. It would have been nice if that was mentioned.

That part was edited by Trom, I think he misuderstood what I originally said

That should be in past tense since he is now.

Yes, you are right
It does give him fulfillment though.

Not achieved fuffilment

This is no longer true.

There relationship is still most likely the same, even if we don't see it, the only reason we saw them acting more serious at the start of BW is because they had a greater Decision lattitude in their jobs, probaly could have mentioned that it the column but it would have had little relavance to what I was talking about

This seems pretty doubtful.

What's doubtful, the fact Meowth may leave, have you heared what BW045 will be about. No one expected the trio to stop appearing every ep, that was pretty doubtful
None of this is true.

Then there's the complaint I already mentioned about ignoring his original VA.

It also feels like the article jumps around too much with pre BW and BW stuff mixed together.

Meowth is an adored character, your own opinion may say otherwise but it dose not change others

And these articles don't follow the time line, they talk about each personality trait and w/e, one by one

Meowth is an adored character, your own opinion may say otherwise but it dose not change others
It also doesn't mean the claim you make, that it may be more adored than Pikachu to be factually true like you present it.

Also, what exactly do you mean by "achieved fulfillment"?

There relationship is still most likely the same, even if we don't see it,

But there's absolutely no reason to believe they still fight at all.

What's doubtful, the fact Meowth may leave, have you heared what BW045 will be about. No one expected the trio to stop appearing every ep, that was pretty doubtful

They are not dumping a main character 45 episodes into the series. It's not even close to the same thing as them not appearing in every episode.

But my point was that it's doubtful many people would care if he left.

Like Psystrike alluded to, saying "Meowth is definitely one of the most loved characters Japan has ever produced" is just plain ridiculous. He's not even close to being on a list of top anime characters. There's also no way he's more popular than Pikachu.

And these articles don't follow the time line, they talk about each personality trait and w/e, one by one

I know, but it still felt a bit confusing to read.

But my point was that it's doubtful many people would care if he left.
Perhaps its just a few loud individuals, but from what I can see in the anime forum, people seem to be willing towards the idea that Team Rocket left after this saga. Personally would have preferred it back when Jesse had a goal (though Meowth and James really took a back seat to her interests at that time). Even in the Sinnoh league, they showed what awesome entrepreneurs they could be if they put their mind to it.

Perhaps its just a few loud individuals, but from what I can see in the anime forum, people seem to be willing towards the idea that Team Rocket left after this saga. Personally would have preferred it back when Jesse had a goal (though Meowth and James really took a back seat to her interests at that time). Even in the Sinnoh league, they showed what awesome entrepreneurs they could be if they put their mind to it.

I originally mentioned Jessie and James being talented at other things like Meowth, but Trom took it out

I removed that section because I felt it was off-topic to the discussion about Meowth.

Loved the article, a great analysis of a unexpectedly-complex character.
I'd like to see a Personality and Development: Team Rocket's Wobbufett sometime in the future, imo :p

From a psychological point of view, here are some issues I had with this article:

To start with, he mentions Meowth's frequent romantic endeavors are the results of "testosterone hormones." For one, testosterone only increases an interest in sexual activity, and does not promote the act in any way. For two, the "excuse" that males have such a strong interest in sexual activity is the result of hormones was a theory proposed in the 1970s, and has long since been proven false. The amount of hormones a teenager has is only half what he will have as a mid-twenty year old, despite that sexual activity decreases with age. For whatever reason, hormones being related to sexual behavior has become a common misconception.

A much more logical reason that Meowth falls in love so frequently can easily be explains biologically. In the production of offspring, females have a lot to loose: gestation period, pain of delivery, and caring of young are only some of the examples of the many things that females need to worry about when producing an offspring. However, males (at least from a simply biologically point of view) only need a few seconds to donate sperm in order to pass on his genes. Basically, males have very little to loose when it comes to relationships and copulation. For this reason, males fall in love faster than females, and will also stay in love longer. Females have a lot more to worry about when entering a relationship, and this is why females are usually second to fall in love, and are actually the first to fall out of love when a relationship is not going so well.

Secondly, I felt the similarly excuse for Meowth's interest in Meowzie needed further elaboration. In the 1970s, a longevity study was conducted to see what exactly was the deciding factors as to whether or not couples would stay together. They studied the couples over the course of years, and here is what they found: Things like whether they did or did not have sex, or were living together had completely no effect on their relationship status. That is, these factors could not predict if a couple would remain together. What they did fine was that similarity was a huge deciding factor in couples relationship longevity. Couples who's physical attractiveness, beliefs, intelligence, GPA, and age were similar stayed together longer then those who did not have these similarities.

Anyway, being a psychology major myself, I thought those things should have been mentioned. I did enjoy the analysis of Meowth's determination to learn to walk and talk as a human as a form of compensation. Actually, I've enjoyed all the character analysis articles so far, but I just thought I'd post with some information that l learned from last semester's Personality and Adjustment class. :3

I apologize for the length of this post. :0

I don't feel that it was necessary to mention a possible 'Oedipus Complex' - I don't see that it's relevant in any way to Meowth, and if you're going to mention it, at least elaborate on why you've mentioned it.

Other than that, I thought it was a pretty good article.

I don't feel that it was necessary to mention a possible 'Oedipus Complex' - I don't see that it's relevant in any way to Meowth, and if you're going to mention it, at least elaborate on why you've mentioned it.

Other than that, I thought it was a pretty good article.

Nice article, but I highly doubt Meowth is even more popular than pikachu even if I would rather it being that way. Still im a little surprised there was no mention of giovanni's persian. Lets hope we get to see more of him now that Team Rocket as an organization is getting a bigger role in the series.

If Meowth was ever to actually leave the anime’s main cast and begin appearing as infrequently as Misty and Tracey, uproar would surely begin amongst fans

LOL, this always makes me laugh. 20+ year old adults who would whine over any character leaving do not even make up 5% of the shows current viewing population. The anime is not aimed at 20+ year old adults who grew up with the original seasons. New kids come in watching every saga, and its been like this for 10 years.

This is why the writers dropped Misty 10 years ago and recently Brock, and the show is continuing on without them as if they were never there in the first place.

If Meowth (TR as a whole) leave, it wouldn't matter because new kids will replace today's viewing population when the next gen begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom