• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Personality & Development: Misty's Horsea: Reviewing the characterization of anime Po

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Personality & Development: Misty's Horsea: Reviewing the characterization of anime Pokémon

Misty's Horsea could have been one of the most iconic characters in the anime, but as he was unable to maneuver on land and had just six appearances, this Pokémon's personality mainly went unseen.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Personality & Development: Misty's Horsea: Reviewing the characterization of anim

Um...two things, that fourth paragraph...You make it sound like Horsea had a family, and it didn't. It was found alone by Misty in EP019 from being attacked by the Tentacool/Tentacruel. Also, Horsea didn't console anyone, it was Misty who consoled Mikey. Horsea was Pokenapped and used ink to leave a trail of where it was taken to...

Re: Personality & Development: Misty's Horsea: Reviewing the characterization of anim

Keep praising the writers for their hard work creating character personalities - that's all they need to hear to improve. It's like praising a D student in English class and telling them to keep up the good work. :/ Most (not all) Pokemon are simply there as plot devices to move the episodes forward without any actual thought put into their characters long-term. But it's okay, these articles just prove what everyone already knows - the scant evidence used in each of them to prove that some of the Pokemon have personalities is hilarious.

I wish people would give praise to shows that actually deserve it? If you want character personality, look at shows like Evangelion. It's a disservice to real shows to actually try to push that a show like Pokemon has this much thought put into characters that appear for like 15 minutes total over six episodes.

JMO.

Personality? Development? Misty's Pokemon? Never heard those worsd in a single sentence that wasn't a joke.

Um...two things, that fourth paragraph...You make it sound like Horsea had a family, and it didn't. It was found alone by Misty in EP019 from being attacked by the Tentacool/Tentacruel. Also, Horsea didn't console anyone, it was Misty who consoled Mikey. Horsea was Pokenapped and used ink to leave a trail of where it was taken to...

Horsea could have had a family, in the past, in fact every living organism has some form of Mother. Its like with Squirtle and Bulbasaur's articles, everything said about their past was purley speculative, as thats what behaviural psychologists do, they speculate.

Furthmoe Horsea came out of the fountan to be a part of their convosation, considering Horse; can not talk, has no hands, can't give Mikey a tissue and wipe away his tears, Horsea was consoling him to the extent it could, and if he couldn't, Horsea still tryed because he feels that sense of responsibilaty

Keep praising the writers for their hard work creating character personalities - that's all they need to hear to improve. It's like praising a D student in English class and telling them to keep up the good work. :/ Most (not all) Pokemon are simply there as plot devices to move the episodes forward without any actual thought put into their characters long-term. But it's okay, these articles just prove what everyone already knows - the scant evidence used in each of them to prove that some of the Pokemon have personalities is hilarious.

I wish people would give praise to shows that actually deserve it? If you want character personality, look at shows like Evangelion. It's a disservice to real shows to actually try to push that a show like Pokemon has this much thought put into characters that appear for like 15 minutes total over six episodes.

JMO.

Would you rather me continue to always right about Pokemon like Pikachu and Psyduck who have clear perrsonalities? As part of my aim, I need to write about a character who appeared for 15 minites in like 6 episodes.

When you study poetry at school, do you really think all the techniques and meanings you find were intended by the poet? One's creation is inflated by another's imagination. I know that the writer did not intend all of this for Horsea, mabye some of it, but what I do is point out what the character's come across as, and there by inflate the creation

The delivery of your speculations is much improved since the Psyduck installment! It really was more credible when you removed the personal pronouns and the revelation of weaknesses. Much more believable. Great job this time around!

Well played, although most of the pokemon show personality at least in their debut episode. I don't have a clear enough memory to know of Horsea's other appearances, and I'm surprised to see that there is a possible string connecting these seemingly unrelated events. I can only imagine how difficult such an endeavor was. There is only one thing that could be more difficult: the pokemon that never stood out at all. Think Ash's Pidgeotto/Pidgeot or Misty's Goldeen. This shall be the true test of your skills, for the only way I would know it could be done is an analysis of all their actions. If they ever showed a feeling, it was probably only for a minute or two. Or better yet, Staryu or Starmie, who I don't know if they ever showed any feelings at all.

After Goldeen and Zubat, how about making an article about Jesse's Lickitung or Seviper? Those two (specially Lickitung) seem pretty well-developed to me, despite not gaining much screentime.

Would you rather me continue to always right about Pokemon like Pikachu and Psyduck who have clear perrsonalities? As part of my aim, I need to write about a character who appeared for 15 minites in like 6 episodes.

When you study poetry at school, do you really think all the techniques and meanings you find were intended by the poet? One's creation is inflated by another's imagination. I know that the writer did not intend all of this for Horsea, mabye some of it, but what I do is point out what the character's come across as, and there by inflate the creation
Heh, just like people who watch movies and put meaning into everything little thing that the writers never intended. At least you recognize it. :p

I don't think writing about Misty's Horsea / Goldeen / whatever having personalities is very credible. Why don't you write about some of the movie Pokemon, like Lucario or Mewtwo, who obviously had to have personalities to carry their movies?

JMO.

Eh, WPM, no offense, but you did beg a storyboard artist like 4 times to bring Misty back into the anime when you conducted that interview about 2-3 years ago. There's not much room to talk there. Yeah, we know some pokemon on the main cast, especially most of Misty's, have no real personality. But he's just analyzing what could have been.

I'd like to see him analyze a Pokemon from a recent season. Why not do a Pokemon you have tons to write about, like Chimchar?

I'd like to see him analyze a Pokemon from a recent season. Why not do a Pokemon you have tons to write about, like Chimchar?

I won't reveal much, but I do have a structure and Chimchar will definatly get the spotlight, in fact everyone in DP will eventually

After Goldeen and Zubat, how about making an article about Jesse's Lickitung or Seviper? Those two (specially Lickitung) seem pretty well-developed to me, despite not gaining much screentime.

Seviper didn't get much screentime? What?

Seviper was on Jessie's roster for two entire generations, almost 400 episodes, and Seviper outlasted Arbok by about 100 episodes!

Eh, WPM, no offense, but you did beg a storyboard artist like 4 times to bring Misty back into the anime when you conducted that interview about 2-3 years ago. There's not much room to talk there. Yeah, we know some pokemon on the main cast, especially most of Misty's, have no real personality. But he's just analyzing what could have been.

Why do you always say that? First you said I asked him four times why Misty isn't being brought back and now you've changed it to I BEGGED him? I think you're confusing hypothetical musings toward the director to dig into how/why they make their decisions with "this is what WPM wants." The point of asking questions isn't to get a yes/no, it's to find out the decision-making processes these people make. Asking "Well, why don't you ditch Brock and have Misty instead?" /=/ I want Misty back and you should ditch Brock. It means, "Why did you pick one over the other - what was your reasoning?" And that is of course how we got the famous girl-eye-candy response.

And this has nothing to do with the topic at all so I don't know why you would bring it up.

Please stay on topic, everyone.

What you've written so far is good, and I liked this article too. Though I don't think you'll have such an easy time finding any remarkable character traits out of Ash's bird Pokemon. I can't remember anything regarding character from them.

Ash's main four Pokémon in Kanto- Pikachu, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Charizard- definitely had personalities. Misty's Psyduck and Togepi did too. I don't think most of the gang's other Pokémon had much personality though.

The thing that really annoys me with this column is that at times it reads in a very condescending way - I remember in one of the earlier ones it said something like it was written "for people who don't think as much about it as I do", and there have been a few times where words have been defined in brackets - if you need to explain the meaning of ordinary words then you're using the wrong ones for your audience.

This particular episode is awful. I can kind of understand trying to apply sociological or psychological theories to the characters, but conjuring a history for Horsea to fit a particular theory is stretching it way too far. I appreciate it's an opinion piece, but Horsea's involvement in the Tentacool/cruel affair could just as easily have come from an inflated sense of self worth than its responsibilities as a child, and creating such a story makes it sound like a fan fiction written by someone who has done a sociology A-level (or whatever the equivalent is) and imagines themselves as the next Freud.

Basically it's trying too hard. I like the idea, I want to like what I read, but character development has to exist within the series, otherwise it defeats the object of considering it at all. Pokémon such as Horsea show little personality, never mind development of it. Stick with characters with genuine character, and cut down the pseudo-science babble and the column will be worth reading.

Didn't misty's horsea evolve into seadra? are you going to do an analysis about him then? or am i wrong about the evolution thing?

Misty's Horsea never evolved.

Seviper didn't get much screentime? What?

Seviper was on Jessie's roster for two entire generations, almost 400 episodes, and Seviper outlasted Arbok by about 100 episodes!

Well, he (I think it's "he") was kept with Jesse for a long time, but was mainly used in battle and his personality was shown only a few times. Plus, I was refering mainly to Lickitung.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom