• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Personality & Development: Misty's Psyduck: Reviewing the characterization of anime P

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Personality & Development: Misty's Psyduck: Reviewing the characterization of anime Pokémon

After the first four Personality & Development columns, the very first column on a Pokémon owned by Misty and the first not to have an introductory episode dedicated to himself.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Personality & Development: Misty's Psyduck: Reviewing the characterization of ani

I wonder if any of the PokéCentre staff are trained to help with mental illness in the Pokémon themselves?

Re: Personality & Development: Misty's Psyduck: Reviewing the characterization of ani

LOL, this guy thinks Goldeen and Horsea have personality? Wow, I'll really be interested in reading those columns. He'll have to do quite a lot of convincing.

Now, a lot of people say that the Pokémon not belonging to Ash have an unnotable personality; of course I disagree,

Where did he get this from? When people are saying this they're only talking about most of Misty/Brock's Pokemon in Kanto, not the pokemon the main cast had from AG/DP/BW.

Of course given this is a nostalgia column, I wouldn't expect him to tackle any of the pokemon after the Kanto arc, or even Johto arc. These are turning out to be nothing more than, "Let's glorify the Pokemon of Kanto" columns, rather than analyzing Pokemon that actually have GOOD personalities on the main cast.

Hey, let's do Brock's Zubat next! What a wonderful personality Zubat had!

LOL, this guy thinks Goldeen and Horsea have personality? Wow, I'll really be interested in reading those columns. He'll have to do quite a lot of convincing.

Where did he get this from? When people are saying this they're only talking about most of Misty/Brock's Pokemon in Kanto, not the pokemon the main cast had from AG/DP/BW.

Of course given this is a nostalgia column, I wouldn't expect him to tackle any of the pokemon after the Kanto arc, or even Johto arc. These are turning out to be nothing more than, "Let's glorify the Pokemon of Kanto" columns, rather than analyzing Pokemon that actually have GOOD personalities on the main cast.

Hey, let's do Brock's Zubat next! What a wonderful personality Zubat had!

Challenge accepted !

I believe that even if misty's Psyduck was the comic relief we shouldn't forget that he also was the unorthodox powerhouse of misty's team. Sure he had to wait until his headache would explode for him to manifest his powers but when it finally did he could blast anything away like in the episode Ligths, Camera Quacktion!, which his feast of stregth won him wigglytuff heart, or in the very least sympathy. In any case I enjoy this column and I would like to see Team Rocket's pokemon featured in the future.

In any case I enjoy this column and I would like to see Team Rocket's pokemon featured in the future.

James' Victreebell! Would Meowth count because of how he's portrayed as a human?

Yeah Victrebel would be nice or maybe cacnea. The only pokemon of team rocket that I think it would be difficult would be Lickitung but only because he got so little screen time, In any case it would be nice to see one of him as well ^^.

Hey man, I'm a fan of your analyses, but I've got a nitpick... Some of the things you say are superfluous or sound a tad unprofessional. When openly saying something like "I don't know about that," you lose credibility. In general it is better to leave those things out. Also, to build on your credibility, removing personal pronouns does wonders. It makes your essay sound less like an opinion and more like a fact. I know that this is not necessarily an article for a scientific journal, but changing/removing just a few words really changes the tone of the essay and has much more of an impact and lasting effect on the audience. Keep up the work though! I do enjoy these articles!

Hello!
I like this analysis a lot,since I aways loved Misty's Psy <3
The only thing thats bothers me is you called togepi a she,but in my opinion is a he, but thats doesn't matter
Don't you guys feel sorry for psyduck,aways with a headache,poor guy TTOTT

I enjoy reading the Personality and Development articles and would love to see one done on Misty's Togepi at some point, if you are up to it! :)

Here's Togepi: Joyless baby Pokemon.
I suppose you can discuss its metronome powers.

Last edited:

There was a lack of development in this column...

Here's Togepi: Joyless baby Pokemon.
I suppose you can discuss its metronome powers.

There is no need to be so cynical. If you don't like the column, then you don't have to read or comment on it.

There were a lot of Pokemon i didn't like, Psyduck especially. He was one of those characters who weren't always useful in a battle, and probably the only one amongst every main character's pokemon. While everyone else would display some "wow factors" that made them interesting, Psyduck was mostly a "one-schtick ducky". I'd say the same for Meowth, but he's been around so long that I don't expect much from him anyway. Wobbuffett? He's like Psyduck, only he really is useless in battle unless provoked, but I still get pissed knowing that he replaced Lickitung.

Two Pokémon I did not like were Psyduck and Togepi. The only reason though, is because they offered some Deus ex Machina moments; which is one of my most despised tropes (Chaste Hero is a close second, as it is unbelievable that Max is more knowledgeable than Ash). Though Psyduck was pretty cool and I do admit he did experience a bit of character development, I'm probably being a little hard on him.

Togepi on the other hand, was just horrid. It used metronome at just the perfect times, and every time it would be an attack that would save the protagonist's asses.

Psyduck is fun and all, and I like these articles, but why haven't Mewtwo and Meowth gotten their own articles yet? Even though they talk and have human thoughts, they're still Pokemon!

Though if those two are disqualified for some reason, we need the dirt on Giovanni's Persian. :cool:

Psyduck is fun and all, and I like these articles, but why haven't Mewtwo and Meowth gotten their own articles yet? Even though they talk and have human thoughts, they're still Pokemon!

Though if those two are disqualified for some reason, we need the dirt on Giovanni's Persian. :cool:

But the only thing persian has ever done is cause jealousy for meowth. He barely gets any screen time, then again perhaps in Black and white will see Giovanni finally using him for battle.

But the only thing persian has ever done is cause jealousy for meowth. He barely gets any screen time, then again perhaps in Black and white will see Giovanni finally using him for battle.

I was kidding around :spin:

There was a lack of development in this column...
I agree. After the 3 minutes it took me to read it, I thought, "That's it?" The only thing I got from it was, Psyduck isn't stupid or ignorant, it's just retarded.

Last edited:

This was a pretty good read. Never before have I recognized the depth of the anime characters and their Pokemon, that article really opened my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom