• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Review PG01: The Adventure

Arcalargo

god of the Longbow!
Reaction score
A dude and his 'chu. I liked this, it's a short and sweet introduction to the series. I'm pretty excited for ep2.

LavenderCase

Uncompromising Worth
Reaction score
Pikachu was adorable. Loved seeing bits of each region. Poor Nosepass didn't stand a chance in that one part.

Shadao

Pikachu's Global Adventure
Reaction score
First off, the Pokémon Trainer we see is not Red (Origins) as this Red has a Bulbasaur for his starter.

So it's nice seeing the the montage of various regions across the generations and while it is strange to see Pikachu fight all these Pokémon alone while Red is only seen at the beginning and end, it is nice they didn't put Red everywhere as I fear they would do.

However, it raises the question as to why choose Red for Kalos if the rest of the short deliberately made Pikachu's trainer ambiguous in the regions between.

Oh, and that squeaky non-Ikue Otani voice is a bit annoying to me.

Jukain

Aka: Sceptile
Reaction score
The perils of being Red's Pikachu. Immediate thought: the intro was a bit longer than it should've been, I almost thought this was going to be like watching a Let's Play. Second, I will mirror a lot of peoples' concerns about Red being portrayed as the person behind ALL pokemon adventures, but I don't entirely believe that's the point here. The point here is you have a pokemon you love and that's been through all of your adventures since the beginning. That's what this is. This is what Pokemon is.

GhostLucario

Ghost maniac
Reaction score
Nice animation and I was glad to see things from other regions not just Kanto. But I see Gen I pandering continues. I don't see the point of having Red in Kalos. Why not Serena or Calem?
Also the Pikachu's voice was annoying.
The other WTF thing was Complete Zygarde in Terminus Cave. It just made me salty there was never a Z game. Oh well, better get that last minute promotion before it's too late.

novalysis

Reaction score
Nice animation and I was glad to see things from other regions not just Kanto. But I see Gen I pandering continues. I don't see the point of having Red in Kalos. Why not Serena or Calem?

I think the idea is that when you start from generation one as a child and play through all the way to generation Seven, behind every protagonist you play is the Spirit of Red, the very first protagonist you played. Of course, if you started in Gen 2 or 3 or 4....

Reaction score
Part of me took a little bit to let go from what was established in PokeAni, cuz i was so used to it. I'm not hating on anything, just... something that crossed my mind.

Anyway, this episode was pretty cool, seeing Red's travels to the 6 regions we know and love, with his Pikachu, and I see people were relieved that pretty much anything related to Red only happened in this episode. That's good to hear.

Gengarzilla

"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
I'll probably be okay if this is all we get for Red. As a guy who truly started in Gen IV, it was mildly frustrating to see that player avatar just cut n' pasted everywhere.

I can't really fault this in another way though. The Pikachu sounded like an attempt to blend the main anime's Pokéspeak with the more animal cries of Origins, which I can appreciate. I'm also glad to see that this isn't the Red from Origins. I didn't like him.

KrspaceT

Reaction score
The Intro was too long, and the head of that Pikachu bothers me, but I liked it overall. Part 2 was better, but it isn't a bad start. I do appreciate how Pikachu was shown to get stronger over time.

Also, I heard someone say they saw Silver in the video

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Reaction score
Huh, they turned that pond in Ecruteak into a river, that's an interesting detail. There wasn't as much Red as I'd assume; I like the ambiguity though - there's room to assume that the Pikachu in Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh belongs to any one of those regions' PCs.

Poor Nosepass didn't stand a chance in that one part.
Probopass.

The other WTF thing was Complete Zygarde in Terminus Cave. It just made me salty there was never a Z game. Oh well, better get that last minute promotion before it's too late.
Z will be Gen VII of course.

Pesky

The Flame Pokémon
Reaction score
Huh, they turned that pond in Ecruteak into a river, that's an interesting detail.
It could not be that specific pond, but a canal connected to it. After all, you have to apply some serious scale theory with games like Pokemon. We see the bare basics required to give an idea what the city is like, it's up to us then to expand it in our minds.

LavenderCase

Uncompromising Worth
Reaction score
Huh, they turned that pond in Ecruteak into a river, that's an interesting detail. There wasn't as much Red as I'd assume; I like the ambiguity though - there's room to assume that the Pikachu in Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh belongs to any one of those regions' PCs.

Probopass.

Z will be Gen VII of course.

Ah! Thanks for the correction!

DasManiac

The Charming Fool
Reaction score
It could not be that specific pond, but a canal connected to it. After all, you have to apply some serious scale theory with games like Pokemon. We see the bare basics required to give an idea what the city is like, it's up to us then to expand it in our minds.

Given that Ecruteak is based off Kyoto, it certainly looks like they took inspiration from there to realize the city in this.

Silktree

Not Dead
Reaction score
Hopefully people will stop complaining about Red pandering when his content was condensed into a single short that was really about Pikachu. Generations is not about any player character.

garrison-san

someone in the dark
Reaction score
Wow, Pikachu sounded really distressed throughout all of that (though I like that they made his voice more authentically rodent-like).

Neo Blaze

*bang*
Reaction score
Pronouns
He / Him
Hopefully people will stop complaining about Red pandering when his content was condensed into a single short that was really about Pikachu. Generations is not about any player character.
He's going to appear again though since the trailer showed him about to battle Blue. Although we can definitely say he is not the central character. And that's good in my opinion. It leaves room for other, more interesting stories.

Anyone noticed yet how Red has a Bulbasaur while Blue was shown to own a Blastoise in the trailer? That goes against the traditional 'rival has Starter that is strong against player character's Starter'.

Muur

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Was some cool battles there.

He's going to appear again though since the trailer showed him about to battle Blue. Although we can definitely say he is not the central character. And that's good in my opinion. It leaves room for other, more interesting stories.

Anyone noticed yet how Red has a Bulbasaur while Blue was shown to own a Blastoise in the trailer? That goes against the traditional 'rival has Starter that is strong against player character's Starter'.

Red also has Pikachu as a main lol, poor Blue

Silktree

Not Dead
Reaction score
I am not sure I would even consider the first short canon to the rest of the series. I doubt that Red will use Venusaur against Blue's Blastoise.

Although we can definitely say he is not the central character. And that's good in my opinion. It leaves room for other, more interesting stories.
That was obvious from the get-go.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.