• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review PG01: The Adventure

A dude and his 'chu. I liked this, it's a short and sweet introduction to the series. I'm pretty excited for ep2.

Pikachu was adorable. Loved seeing bits of each region. Poor Nosepass didn't stand a chance in that one part.

First off, the Pokémon Trainer we see is not Red (Origins) as this Red has a Bulbasaur for his starter.

So it's nice seeing the the montage of various regions across the generations and while it is strange to see Pikachu fight all these Pokémon alone while Red is only seen at the beginning and end, it is nice they didn't put Red everywhere as I fear they would do.

However, it raises the question as to why choose Red for Kalos if the rest of the short deliberately made Pikachu's trainer ambiguous in the regions between.

Oh, and that squeaky non-Ikue Otani voice is a bit annoying to me.

The perils of being Red's Pikachu. Immediate thought: the intro was a bit longer than it should've been, I almost thought this was going to be like watching a Let's Play. Second, I will mirror a lot of peoples' concerns about Red being portrayed as the person behind ALL pokemon adventures, but I don't entirely believe that's the point here. The point here is you have a pokemon you love and that's been through all of your adventures since the beginning. That's what this is. This is what Pokemon is.

Nice animation and I was glad to see things from other regions not just Kanto. But I see Gen I pandering continues. I don't see the point of having Red in Kalos. Why not Serena or Calem?
Also the Pikachu's voice was annoying.
The other WTF thing was Complete Zygarde in Terminus Cave. It just made me salty there was never a Z game. Oh well, better get that last minute promotion before it's too late.

Nice animation and I was glad to see things from other regions not just Kanto. But I see Gen I pandering continues. I don't see the point of having Red in Kalos. Why not Serena or Calem?

I think the idea is that when you start from generation one as a child and play through all the way to generation Seven, behind every protagonist you play is the Spirit of Red, the very first protagonist you played. Of course, if you started in Gen 2 or 3 or 4....

Part of me took a little bit to let go from what was established in PokeAni, cuz i was so used to it. I'm not hating on anything, just... something that crossed my mind.

Anyway, this episode was pretty cool, seeing Red's travels to the 6 regions we know and love, with his Pikachu, and I see people were relieved that pretty much anything related to Red only happened in this episode. That's good to hear.

I'll probably be okay if this is all we get for Red. As a guy who truly started in Gen IV, it was mildly frustrating to see that player avatar just cut n' pasted everywhere.

I can't really fault this in another way though. The Pikachu sounded like an attempt to blend the main anime's Pokéspeak with the more animal cries of Origins, which I can appreciate. I'm also glad to see that this isn't the Red from Origins. I didn't like him.

The Intro was too long, and the head of that Pikachu bothers me, but I liked it overall. Part 2 was better, but it isn't a bad start. I do appreciate how Pikachu was shown to get stronger over time.

Also, I heard someone say they saw Silver in the video

Huh, they turned that pond in Ecruteak into a river, that's an interesting detail. There wasn't as much Red as I'd assume; I like the ambiguity though - there's room to assume that the Pikachu in Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh belongs to any one of those regions' PCs.

Poor Nosepass didn't stand a chance in that one part.
Probopass.

The other WTF thing was Complete Zygarde in Terminus Cave. It just made me salty there was never a Z game. Oh well, better get that last minute promotion before it's too late.
Z will be Gen VII of course.

Huh, they turned that pond in Ecruteak into a river, that's an interesting detail.
It could not be that specific pond, but a canal connected to it. After all, you have to apply some serious scale theory with games like Pokemon. We see the bare basics required to give an idea what the city is like, it's up to us then to expand it in our minds.

Huh, they turned that pond in Ecruteak into a river, that's an interesting detail. There wasn't as much Red as I'd assume; I like the ambiguity though - there's room to assume that the Pikachu in Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh belongs to any one of those regions' PCs.

Probopass.

Z will be Gen VII of course.

Ah! Thanks for the correction!

It could not be that specific pond, but a canal connected to it. After all, you have to apply some serious scale theory with games like Pokemon. We see the bare basics required to give an idea what the city is like, it's up to us then to expand it in our minds.

Given that Ecruteak is based off Kyoto, it certainly looks like they took inspiration from there to realize the city in this.

Wow, Pikachu sounded really distressed throughout all of that (though I like that they made his voice more authentically rodent-like).

Hopefully people will stop complaining about Red pandering when his content was condensed into a single short that was really about Pikachu. Generations is not about any player character.
He's going to appear again though since the trailer showed him about to battle Blue. Although we can definitely say he is not the central character. And that's good in my opinion. It leaves room for other, more interesting stories.

Anyone noticed yet how Red has a Bulbasaur while Blue was shown to own a Blastoise in the trailer? That goes against the traditional 'rival has Starter that is strong against player character's Starter'.

Was some cool battles there.

He's going to appear again though since the trailer showed him about to battle Blue. Although we can definitely say he is not the central character. And that's good in my opinion. It leaves room for other, more interesting stories.

Anyone noticed yet how Red has a Bulbasaur while Blue was shown to own a Blastoise in the trailer? That goes against the traditional 'rival has Starter that is strong against player character's Starter'.

Red also has Pikachu as a main lol, poor Blue

I am not sure I would even consider the first short canon to the rest of the series. I doubt that Red will use Venusaur against Blue's Blastoise.

Although we can definitely say he is not the central character. And that's good in my opinion. It leaves room for other, more interesting stories.
That was obvious from the get-go.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom