• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review PG01: The Adventure

I am not sure I would even consider the first short canon to the rest of the series. I doubt that Red will use Venusaur against Blue's Blastoise.
It's too early to say it's not canon to the rest of the series. There is literally nothing to prove that it isn't. For all we know this was just a general overview of Red's adventures while Red's future appearances in these shorts are meant to take place inbetween the events in the first short.
That was obvious from the get-go.
Not that obvious in my opinion. He was implied to have a big role in the trailer (although nearly all his scenes were from the first short, but there was no way to know that) and Red has been a main and central character in many stories of the Pokémon franchise. In fact, many people around here thought the series was mainly going to follow Red on his journeys while showing other stories inbetween.

Last edited:
Is no one else going to mention the horrible new design of Pikachu? It looks awful!
I was going to.

Well, maybe not horrible but I definitely prefer it's other designs (and voice. It wasn't terrible but Ikue Otani does a great job).

As a whole, the short wasn't bad but it wasn't great. The old gameboy intro was fun, but did feel like it went on a bit too long.

I was going to.

Well, maybe not horrible but I definitely prefer it's other designs (and voice. It wasn't terrible but Ikue Otani does a great job).

As a whole, the short wasn't bad but it wasn't great. The old gameboy intro was fun, but did feel like it went on a bit too long.

Absolutely went on too long, I had to come out of the video (on my phone) and go through the link again just to make sure I had clicked the right link and not some lets play as someone else said.

Solid start to the series. I like the montage format as it shows how far Pikachu's come since the Kanto days. I also like his new voice and design; it's a lot more mouse-like. My only complaint is, as others have said, the Game Boy intro, while clever, went on a bit too long.

Is no one else going to mention the horrible new design of Pikachu? It looks awful!
I was trying not to. But, yeah, really put me off. Some media have had different designs than the official art, putting their own unique spin on how Pokemon look, but here it was just Pikachu. Everything else was normal so why did they change the face of... well, the face of the franchise.

And the squeaking got a bit annoying. It just sounded... emotionless, like it's the same squeak no matter what situation its in. We've seen Pokemon Origins and even the animated trailers for Black 2 and White 2, where Pokemon didn't actually say their names so they wanted to do something mouse-like, and I can appreciate that, but I don't think this was the correct choice.

.....it's based on the current design used in promotional art. don't know where you are getting the "new" part from.
pikachu-9.png

It was quite great honestly, I really liked seeing Pikachu going through region and battling a Pokèmon, only for a Legendary to show up. The animation was suburb; why can't this be Sun and Moon's art style/animation instead?

It's too early to say it's not canon to the rest of the series. There is literally nothing to prove that it isn't. For all we know this was just a general overview of Red's adventures while Red's future appearances in these shorts are meant to take place inbetween the events in the first short.

I agree with the second part of your post, but I think the fact that we're seeing Red with a Bulbasaur here but Blue with a Blastoise in the trailer is a good indication that this episode might stand apart from the rest. Sure it's not proven just yet, but I mean, that's a pretty noticeable mismatch. Blue set the standard for choosing the Starter with type advantage over yours.

I honestly thought they were going to just jump into giving us an actual story instead of an introductory montage. But it was kinda neat seeing Pikachu battling different Pokes in the different regions. It was just weird hearing the peeping & squeaking noises coming from him when it seems like the past couple of years TPC seems to be wanting to use its anime voice in even the games now.
Still, I like the montage intro. It was nice.

One thing I've noticed is how the music changes depending on which region is being focused on. And there are all the Wild Battle music across the generations (though correct me if I'm wrong). That's a nice touch.

I think they're now moving towards Pikachu's third phase. First it was fat Pikachu, then skinny pikachu, and now Pikachu with the round head...(we've seen it in other promotional art, I just never thought that's how they'd render it in an anime)

Maybe because Red was the original protagonist, before we ever had a female option.

Kind of a human mascot for the franchise, if you will.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom