• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review PG02: The Chase

Looker + wall breaching Machamp + Hacking Magnimite - "generic male protagonist" = AWESOME!!!

Last edited:
Of all the villain teams out there i have a soft spot for Team Rocket, and Giovanni. Seeing more of their villainous side excites me because I think it brings some more flavor into the franchise. There's so much potential for dark material. I hope they aren't disbanded.

Plus I get massive James Spader ala Blacklist vibes from Giovanni here.

Police arrived too late to arrest Giovanni. While a great scene of drama and world building, it does raises the question as to whether they are aware that a boy from Pallet Town is the catalyst for Team Rocket's defeat. Though it seems that they forgot that Giovanni is suppose to have change his ways, but I guess they want that HeartGold and SoulSilver hook.

Also, I'm not sure that's Looker. He may look like him, but no one mentions his name as far as I can tell.

This was honestly pretty awesome.
Maybe this will show them there is demand for a more "serious" Pokemon series? Not that I have anything against the current Pokemon anime, but I really enjoyed watching this. It's nice to watch a Pokemon mini-series with a different atmosphere.

Very interesting, though this is one reason it's a pity they have to keep the events of the games intact. This would've been great if it involved them fighting TR themselves. I wonder if we'll see Looker being involved in any other team shenanigans? Maybe not, after all, Looker's fate is to wash up in Hoenn...with amnesia, so he can't be involved with the only other team we've never seen him chase. As for the TR remnants in Johto, it would be the same story. By the time they find out about anything, it is already too late. It would be neat to have the story of how he ended up in Hoenn, though. I also like how this ends, almost a complete contradiction of what is said in FR/LG, but we know in the time traveling scenario in HG/SS, he does still want to revive TR, so I think that bridges that more smoothly.

Good this is not related to Origins, I found that Sakaki ending pretty lame. Anyway the animation is just wonderful! I loved every bits of it.

I wonder if Generations will be canon to the game series?

This episode was awesome. I wish this was a little longer, but what can you do?

Just makes me want more, you know?

Also, that clearly is Looker, or at least the man we know as Looker. I think he actually lives up to his JP name of being handsome in this short. He's not that bad looking.

I'm always up for Pokémon used outside of battle. A detail that I really liked was that Magnemite actually appears mechanical, complete with realistic sounds from its rotating magnets/screws.

Team Rocket might not be disbanded? Gen 1 remake or something?
Gen I was remade 12 years ago. And Team Rock was dealt with in Johto games.

Team Rocket might not be disbanded? Gen 1 remake or something?
I'm getting more of a Gen II feel from that line.

This was interesting. Looker as a character wouldn't have been out of place in FRLG, what with Giovanni being a bit of an enigma.

The best of the two this week, can't wait for next week.

Also we don't know the exact placement of the first point in the timeline (Kanto and Hoenn): it's possible this is a pre-amnesia Looker and he recovers by Sinnoh and Johto.

Yes! Looker! Though, yeah, this does raise the question of what Looker's timeline is. So he was always an officer of the law, gets amnesia, and then recovers or maybe his colleagues find him? I hope he's in more of these, he was one of the things I liked the most in Gen 4.

Probably my favourite thing here was using Pokemon to break into the place, for some reason seeing Machamp smash that wall got me most excited when I saw the Generations trailer. And Magneton hacking the door, and Arcanine melting the wall... Actually how does that officer expect to pass through the molten heat, anyway? It's also good to see someone other than Officer Jenny. xD

Looker was not meant to be this much of a looker, it's weird not seeing him look so cartoony. It's taking me time to get used to it, but I'm coming around to the look.

I also like how Arcanine just melted that wall. What were they going to do if people or Pokemon were on the other side of that? Would they have been burned alive?

Other than that, I really liked this. A mature and realistic take on the story that fleshes things out. I'd love to see Generations become a full adaptation, with Looker having his own subplots to flesh things out some more.

This was great. This finally clears up the long standing questions we have had about law enforcement in the Pokemon world. I love how the police use Pokemon in such unique ways. Machamp breaking through a wall is just awesome. Also, it seems quite a few people don't seem to realize that FRLG changed Giovanni's character quite a bit.

Also we don't know the exact placement of the first point in the timeline (Kanto and Hoenn): it's possible this is a pre-amnesia Looker and he recovers by Sinnoh and Johto.
I'm under the assumption that these shorts aren't meant to be placed in any game-established timeline. Red being anywhere other than Kanto and Johto tells me this.

I kinda don't get what Arcanine melting the wall was meant to achieve, you wouldn't catch me climbing through that hot mess until long after it had cooled :p Machamp's method seems much better for a fast SWAT team approach. Magnemite busting the electronic lock was awesome, love the little magnets.

Also the Team Rocket not disbanded thing seems like it's just hinting towards another episode being focused around TR another week. Probably them in Johto I guess, since this was just Giovanni disappearing from Viridian and we know he and TR show up in Johto.

I still don't see this as Red, it looks more like "Generic male protagonist." So it could still be in the in-game timeline.

HGSS Giovanni was shown in a different scene in the trailer than the ending of this short. So there will be another short about him.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom