• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review PG02: The Chase

Regarding Looker's personality, it is possible that he became less serious in later games due to his amnesia in ORAS. Maybe he never remembered that he'd been looking for Giovanni.
I don't know...I'm going with the "alternate character interpretation" perspective with this one. These shorts, like Origins is somewhat targeting older audiences and TPC probably assumes we want a more serious tone--to the detriment of characterization we actually do enjoy...

These are supposed to be untold stories, but obviously with some artistic liberty given that Red appears everywhere and seems to be playing the role of "generic protagonist" (hence never seeing his face)

This was very much the superior of the two episodes so far. I actually could focus on what was happening since it wasn't changing every like 20 seconds. It's a shame the anime isn't more like this. I'd have never stopped watching if it was!

Also. Looker and Giovanni. ♥♥♥ You two are added to the list of my favorite Pokemon dudes.

I thought the police were also carrying guns. I liked this episode. Also the tease to the Johto games.

I know the popular thing to do right now is to shit on the upcoming Sun & Moon series for its art style but can we talk about the art in this episode for a minute? Because I think the way that both Looker and Giovanni are drawn, with all these extra lines added to their faces that make them look twenty years older than they should, combined with the somewhat awkward way everyone's mouths are drawn is suuuuuper ugly.

This was a really neat snapshot into one of the potential stories we didn't live through in-game. I love both Giovanni and Looker so it warmed the cockles of my heart to see them pitted against each other in earnest.

My main complaint is that the voice acting was simply horrible. Ah well, you can't have everything I suppose.

I think those of you getting very het up about canonicity are a little confused about the Pokemon franchise. It's always been a world where we see the same stories play out slightly differently, with similar but different characters (often bearing the same name) involved. Game, remake, anime, variant anime, manga, alternate manga... These are all just potential routes for the same story. It's not worth the heartache to get too invested in untangling one from another.
I think the way that both Looker and Giovanni are drawn, with all these extra lines added to their faces that make them look twenty years older than they should, combined with the somewhat awkward way everyone's mouths are drawn is suuuuuper ugly.
What age do you think they should look? Personally I find this art style engaging and suited to the format of these little shorts.

Flaming and Baiting
My main complaint is that the voice acting was simply horrible.

I suppose it needs to be in Japanese for you to love it, eh? Too bad Earth has more than one language and one civilization on it, huh?

Needless to say, I thought the voice acting was great. And since this came out in English first, it's the original. The Japanese one will be a dub. And I can't overstate enough how proud that makes me.

Personally I find this art style engaging and suited to the format of these little shorts.

This, I definitely agree with, though. And besides, art style doesn't mean everything for a show. Did people like Rocky and Bullwinkle because of its animation style? No, its animation was horribly cheap. People looked past that and enjoyed it for its characters and writing.

I suppose it needs to be in Japanese for you to love it, eh? Too bad Earth has more than one language and one civilization on it, huh?
Where did she even imply that? All she said was that she thought the acting was bad.

And is there a problem if she did prefer the performances of the voice actors in Japan? Is there really a need to be condescending about it?

And is there a problem if she did prefer the performances of the voice actors in Japan? Is there really a need to be condescending about it?

Not really. But I do disagree with the notion that only Japanese actors are good actors, whether in Japanese cartoons or in general. There are good and bad actors all over the world. However, I can admit my response was a bit harsh.

Last edited:
What age do you think they should look?

I think the characters should look more or less the same age as what we've seen the in literally everything else. You don't think these characters look too old?

handsome.png

sakaki.png

I liked the art style of The Origin but the style used in these shorts just isn't doing it for me :/

Not really. But I do disagree with the notion that only Japanese actors are good actors, whether in Japanese cartoons or in general..
And none of that was ever brought up by her in this thread. Whether she prefers Japanese voice acting or not, that's a completely separate issue and her own preference that's she free to have. It's also highly probable that she likes English voice actors and just happened to not like these particular ones for Generations. She never went into specifics.

There was literally no reason to bring out the Japanophile card or whatever; that's more than just a bit harsh, it's completely and pointlessly disrespectful.

I think the characters should look more or less the same age as what we've seen the in literally everything else. You don't think these characters look too old?
I'll give you Handsome looking older than he usually does, but I think Sakaki looks as old as he does in every other piece of media. There's slightly more chisel to him here though, but not that much, I don't think. Not enough to make his design look jarring in comparison to what I'm used to, in any case. Add any more lines though, and yes, I think he would look way older.

Last edited:
You don't think these characters look too old?
Honestly, no. To me Handsome has always been a salt and pepper sexy cop and Sakaki likewise well into his middle age. But horses for courses I suppose!

As for @Ryu Taylor, thanks for facilitating a hearty and well needed laugh mate, I owe you one.

Anime episodes, to me, are a progress of transition. I watch the Japanese raw first to see the episode itself, don't watch it again until subs are available, then wait for the dub if it's a decent enough episode. All this does is cut out the first two steps. I really don't care which language these shorts are originally in.

I honestly thought the voice acting in this was good. Some moments could have been done better, but this was a nice way to spend a few minutes. We all just have our own perceptions.

Love the Magnemite hack XD! Also, Machamp as part of the SWAT looks amazing. Gives more info on how law enforcement works in the pokemon world. It's always nice to see interesting new ways to get help from pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom