• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review PG04: The Lake of Rage

Like we needed confirmation of how awesome Dragonite is... on the other hand, it's showing just how powerful Pokemon truly can be when not considered a childish cartoon. Too bad this didn't come out early for a specific youtube channel that garners shady research tactics to end battles once and for all

The best part about this is the music. Finally, G/S/C TR theme and the Champion theme. And also Ethan, though it would've been better to actually see him help Lance. I suppose the intent is from his (and your) perspective. I am uncertain how many more G/S/C antics I want to see. Well, I know we will be seeing the beasts. This alone, though, is just the sort of stuff I wanted to see. Here's to more.

Better episode then last week, it had better pacing and it didn't feel like it was trying to stuff too much into it. There's still a couple things I felt could've been better, but nothing that I felt dragged it down completely.

I mean like years ago... Pokemon usually gets the short stick on Death Battle lol

The only episode I really remember is Mega Charizard X vs. Wargreymon, and lets be honest, the former wouldn't be able to do crap to the latter due to the power differential.

The only episode I really remember is Mega Charizard X vs. Wargreymon, and lets be honest, the former wouldn't be able to do crap to the latter due to the power differential.
Pikachu vs Blanka is what I'm mostly talking about... Pokemon vs Digimon was a mismatch from the start, but there were some things in that match that left me puzzled. That's the only match though that I've sworn to never watch again, not because of the brutality but because of the concept and argument made at the end of the video.

Do those Rocket Grunts all suffer from gait abnormalities? Or was that just a badly animated swagger?
Yeah, the movements and animation of this episode was off a lot of the time. It felt like a bad Flash animation. But I'm not too fussed since the character designs are waaaay better than last week's.

Other highlights of this episode include:
  • Lance commanding Dragonite to "break through," followed by 10 seconds of Dragonite walking VERY slowly before it does anything, all while Lance stands perfectly still.
  • The random focus on that Grunt's Magnemite, which is actually pretty cute.
  • Gyarados charging its attack, which seems to appear beside its mouth, rather than coming from inside?
  • Genuinely good backgrounds.
  • Petrel looking horrible.
  • Lance commanding Dragonite, and Dragonite again walking slowly towards the enemy before doing something.
  • Petrel's movements while being electrocuted.
  • Game-based music, which really added a lot to the atmosphere. I love when they base music from the games.
  • Lance freeing the Electrode instead of battling them, which didn't really made a lot of sense in the games. Nice change.
Overall, a good episode. It was a massive improvement over the last one. Though I'm questioning why they're shadowing the player characters' faces in this series. We already know what they look like. Is it to help us disassociate ourselves from them, or the opposite? Because they're not even doing anything to really show personality. I'm guessing it's just a stylistic choice?

Last edited:
The grunts were first shown as normal working people enjoying time off in the break room. lol. But then when they walked out to face Lance they looked very...odd. They also walked very odd.

This series continues the over-the-top cheesiness of the last episode. I don't know why. I just feel like it's taking itself far too seriously. Dragonite's serious face and very stiff movements when it walked did not help.

I guess that maybe it just isn't possible to really make a Pokemon anime be non-cheesy. lol

Dragonite was my favorite character in this episode. He was a legitimate badass. That is all.

Well no, I also wanted to say that I like that they actually had Ethan show up, even though we never saw his face.

What the hell was even that walk from Team Rocket? Like really?

Nice to see Dragonite being a badass. Lance was there, too. And Ethan. Surprised to see Petrel, however. So these episodes would be about HGSS Johto, then?

I like how the Sturdy ability was portrayed with he Grunt's Magnemite. It was pretty subtle, yet effective.

Gee. If every Elite Four and Champion member was as proactive as Lance, evil Pokemon organizations wouldn't be a thing.

These Generation shorts are pretty awesome. I love what I'm seeing and am looking forward to next week.

The animation is still really low quality, but at least it gave us that ridiculous scene with the Rocket Grunts approaching Lance. In terms of its story...like the previous one, it barely showcased an untold story. If anything, it tried to rewrite canon by having Lance be the one to beat Petrel, drive off Team Rocket from the base, and stop the signal....so yeah not really an "untold" story so much as a "retold" one. Only PG02 seems to have tried to add onto the canon we already knew, but this was still much better than PG03.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom