• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review PG07: The Vision

Also... I'm glad they didn't end up sticking Red in these scenarios like I originally feared, BUT why are they only animating the male protagonists? =/
I've been wondering about that too. The whole "male is default" thing is pretty annoying, especially since aside from Red there aren't any canonical protagonists in the games. I still think there's a chance that May will be the one taking on Aqua in the next episode, but I'm not optimistic about it. Here's hoping that the series at least does the major female NPCs in Gens. 4-6 justice.

Courtney was really weird in this episode. I guess that's how she normally is though, haha. I don't really understand why she didn't warn Team Magma about the vision she had, but then again, that vision was probably more of a hint for the viewer about how things would go for Team Magma than anything else.

Why does Camerupt sound like a horse, instead of, you know, a horse designed by committee? Couldn't they have gone with something closer to the kind of noises that a camel actually makes?

Aside from that, it was enjoyable.

Last edited:
Pretty epic episode. I love how the vision was animated.

At first I was confused why they made Courtney sound cutesy, but she soon became the Courtney we're all familiar with. Oh, and Camerupt sounding like a horse is hilarious.

I thought Rei Ayanami had joined Team Magma when she turned...

Argh. This episode is really bugging me now. I mean, it's good, but it gets the characters all wrong. As mentioned, Tabitha was the one who had doubts about the plan; it was kind of a big thing in the games, because when Maxie meets Groudon, Tabitha tries to warm him and Maxie refuses to listen, thinking that Tabitha just wants to take over the team (which Maxie had held suspicions about due to Tabitha's ambition). It was Courtney who remained staunchly loyal to Maxie, to the point that she went completely off-rails in the Delta Episode and tried to annihilate the world with the Mossdeep rocket. I wouldn't really expect her to be having visions of doubt at all; she's a zealot.

So I'm a little confused by what they're trying to do with the portray of these characters here.

That was like boring and nonsensical...did Courtney always have psychic powers or was it just to make her more interesting?

Plus she's meant to look, sound and act weird and unnatural, which makes her perfect for this series.
Oh that was intentional? Never mind about the above comment then

I guess its like how Scream Queens can be considered good if we assume the bad writing and acting is intentional

Argh. This episode is really bugging me now. I mean, it's good, but it gets the characters all wrong. As mentioned, Tabitha was the one who had doubts about the plan; it was kind of a big thing in the games, because when Maxie meets Groudon, Tabitha tries to warm him and Maxie refuses to listen, thinking that Tabitha just wants to take over the team (which Maxie had held suspicions about due to Tabitha's ambition). It was Courtney who remained staunchly loyal to Maxie, to the point that she went completely off-rails in the Delta Episode and tried to annihilate the world with the Mossdeep rocket. I wouldn't really expect her to be having visions of doubt at all; she's a zealot.

So I'm a little confused by what they're trying to do with the portray of these characters here.
To be fair, she had that vision and still proceeded to battle so...

Last edited:
That was like boring and nonsensical...did Courtney always have psychic powers or was it just to make her more interesting?
There was a thread on /vp/ that pointed out how similar Courtney looked to the Gen III female Psychics, and pointed out how there were no female Psychics in ORAS. This lead some to think that she may be based on them, or that the series is making a reference to that... or something.

It's an interesting idea, but I would have loved it if they actually made some sort of backstory to it. Otherwise, it was really random and meant nothing in the long run.

I guess its like how Scream Queens can be considered good if we assume the bad writing and acting is intentional
Actually no. It's very much bad intentionally, but it's still a bad show. It can never be considered good, especially after the first season finale. The show is carried by Chanel #1 delivering deliciously brutal insults to the other, less entertaining characters.

Also, re: the vision. It seemed like something Courtney didn't really understand fully, so I doubt it would have much rocked her faith in Maxie. If anything, it looked like a vision telling her that Maxie should just be careful when confronting Groudon.

Last edited:
It's an interesting idea, but I would have loved it if they actually made some sort of backstory to it. Otherwise, it was really random and meant nothing in the long run.
That's what I'm annoyed by in Generations. I had initially assumed the series would be giving us insights on in-game cliff-hangers (e.g., where did Hilbert/Hilda go? Where did N end up when he looked for them?) but so far has mostly showed us stuff we already knew/can infer (Blue's league challenge; Lake of range; the Legendary Beast's history) or introduced random details that will never get followed up on/out-of-character (e.g., Courtney's visions; Blue not liking Oak). The only thing that was technically "new" is their shoehorning Looker into random episodes that didn't really need him.

Honestly, the two episodes Looker was in (PG02, PG05) could have been combined into a single episode since they both revolved around Giovanni leaving. We didn't need an extended cameo of Looker breaking through the gym when that could have been shown in the first 30 seconds, and the rest dedicated to Giovanni and Silver.

Honestly, if PG is going to stray from canon by adding random details, they could at least do it in a more satisfying fashion.

Anyway, I'm hoping we get some Team Aqua focus since I find them to be more interesting given that Alpha Sapphire suggested that Shelly and Archie met Jirachi in the past (and that Archie's present goals were directly related to that). If there's no Aqua episode, then they really missed a good plot point in favor of giving Courtney psychic powers that will never be touched on again.

That's what I'm annoyed by in Generations. I had initially assumed the series would be giving us insights on in-game cliff-hangers (e.g., where did Hilbert/Hilda go? Where did N end up when he looked for them?) but so far has mostly showed us stuff we already knew/can infer (Blue's league challenge; Lake of range; the Legendary Beast's history) or introduced random details that will never get followed up on/out-of-character (e.g., Courtney's visions; Blue not liking Oak). The only thing that was technically "new" is their shoehorning Looker into random episodes that didn't really need him.

Honestly, the two episodes Looker was in (PG02, PG05) could have been combined into a single episode since they both revolved around Giovanni leaving. We didn't need an extended cameo of Looker breaking through the gym when that could have been shown in the first 30 seconds, and the rest dedicated to Giovanni and Silver.

Honestly, if PG is going to stray from canon by adding random details, they could at least do it in a more satisfying fashion.

Anyway, I'm hoping we get some Team Aqua focus since I find them to be more interesting given that Alpha Sapphire suggested that Shelly and Archie met Jirachi in the past (and that Archie's present goals were directly related to that). If there's no Aqua episode, then they really missed a good plot point in favor of giving Courtney psychic powers that will never be touched on again.

Friendly pointing-out-a-slip, you quoted me instead of @Karamazov

Female protagonists already got so much screentime being in the main cast in the anime. Now let the male protagonists take just 4 minutes of time. I don't why you guys are complaining about it. I don't want to see May in generations after seeing her for more than 100 episodes in the main series.
The episode was better than the previous ones. Really liked it.

I'm still not 100% sure that this is canon with the games. I think it is loosely based on the game cannon but they are applying artistic license where they can to keep things moving/adding interesting details. I'm not sure who wrote the scripts/story boards for these but they may not have been given much to work with in terms of time or assets.

While it's true that Tabitha was the one with doubts there was no good way to show that in 4 min or so and still let his personality shine. The same thing with the vision, the writer wanted to show where this was all going but didn't have a good way to do it that integrated well with what was happening already. It really all does come back to the short run time.

I'm still not 100% sure that this is canon with the games. I think it is loosely based on the game cannon but they are applying artistic license where they can to keep things moving/adding interesting details. I'm not sure who wrote the scripts/story boards for these but they may not have been given much to work with in terms of time or assets.

While it's true that Tabitha was the one with doubts there was no good way to show that in 4 min or so and still let his personality shine. The same thing with the vision, the writer wanted to show where this was all going but didn't have a good way to do it that integrated well with what was happening already. It really all does come back to the short run time.

Well that just makes it sound like they should have picked a different scenario...

Well that just makes it sound like they should have picked a different scenario...

It's true they should have but I don't think the writers and story-boarders picked the scenarios I think they might have been told what to write about. That is very often they way it works. Still, this is just speculation on my part.

I still very much like this episode by the way I just don't think it matches the game cannon.

With this series sometimes we get duds in regards to voice performances and sometimes we get pretty stellar ones. Tabitha is one of the latter in my opinion. An incredible fit and definitely one of my favorites. Almost makes the deviation of his character reasonable since otherwise we wouldn't have heard him be so smug. Courtney took me a repeat viewing to really appreciate since I had initially imagined to her to be quite monotone and robotic. She had a pretty good psychotic girl performance. I liked Maxie too. He was a bit subdued but nice and low commanding voice. Also hats off to that horse for doing the best camel he could do!

but so far has mostly showed us stuff we already knew/can infer (Blue's league challenge; Lake of range; the Legendary Beast's history) or introduced random details that will never get followed up on/out-of-character (e.g., Courtney's visions; Blue not liking Oak).
Hey, they disproved the Eeveelution theory and gave Eusine a follow-up story from where things ended in HGSS while sensibly providing deeper characterization than the games did. Don't put that episode in the same basket as the rest.

If they use Lucas instead of Dawn in the Sinnoh episodes, then it'll be obvious they're using only male protagonists. Until then, it's still too early to tell.
It would be good if they used a female character as the main protagonist, even thou I am male, I feel like the females should have screentime too, it's fair

I enjoyed the episode, but I do have one question, who voiced Courtney? I really like how she was characterized, Tabitha was okay, but Maxie I don't know, I couldn't even hear what he was saying, but I wander how they'll do Team Aqua, and if they do, hope they use May, I just think it's a good idea, as we've only seen male protagonists so far (although there was none in the original Red, Blue, Gold, Silver, Yellow and Green games, but the remakes had Lyra (HGSS) and Leaf (FRLG), plus, Kris appeared in Crystal, just hope after the shorts end, they'll think about making this an actual Pokemon Web Show for Pokemon fans who don't like the way the main anime series is going, for a change, I want one

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom