• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review PG08: The Cavern

That was... really bad. The dialogue sounds so stilted and unnatural. And the voice acting isn't good. I couldn't take anything seriously. Also since when can Kyogre fly.

Why does Kyogre have to have such a derpy design? It was animated amazingly... and then you see its face and the epicness just disintegrates.

Also, does anyone else feel that Shelley's voice is really familiar? Like from Pokemon main anime familiar? I felt the same about the pink haired Rocket girl from the Lance/Red Gyarados episode...
PS. Her hair was ridiculous and ruined the design.

And now we have Wingull making seagull sounds. It kinda makes me happy, as I see these things constantly. Somehow, this one doesn't have the same impact as Primal Groudon did even though it was more detailed. Also, the legend music was way more repetitive than it needed to be. Full props, however, on finally portraying how foolish it is to command a force of nature.

Holy shit, Shelly's voice was amazing. Even with the bad human designs and the stilted dialogue, the actress is selling it. But Archie's voice, while not bad, doesn't really fit the character too much. (Then again, this episode really made him seem overly evil for no reason, which goes against his character in ORAS.)

Also, Archie explains that, as long as he has the orb, Kyogre will do his bidding. He then immediately tosses the orb right at Kyogre. What?

You know, I actually played through the Team Aqua/Kyogre climax of Alpha Sapphire early this morning. Yet I do not recall Team Aqua being gobbled up by Kyogre at any point. Peculiar.

Also, why wasn't this "untold story" about young Archie and Shelly meeting Jirachi, as opposed to being another odd recreation/rewrite of a game scene? Not even as a flashback within that? I mean, the idea slides in effortlessly into this scenario - in the games, right after Kyogre awakens, Archie alludes to that meeting, making it the perfect time to show a flashback where in the games, doing so would have been too disruptive.

Last edited:
Utter epicness for Primal Kyogre, I don't think its simplistic design makes it look "derpy" nor had any effect in portraying its powerfulness in this video. Its eyes and movements and the finest animation and sounds and all the feared pokemons all backing up the demonstration of its catastrophic power. Watching this episode makes me really thrilled because who on (Poke)earth will not be quiver if seeing this gigantic ancient beast summoning disaster right at that spot? Who possess the power to stop it? I don't think even the Champion's pokemons can be anything comparable, judging from what we saw in PG03 and PG04. I surely felt the desperation of everyone.

Maxie deserved his ending for awakening it. It just demonstrated the foolishness of any human being trying to force the nature to act according to ones deed, only to be backfired by the very force. Through more of the matter of concern is, I really wanted to know what happen 5 seconds later...... This really needs to be make into a full series!! I wanted to know who and how to stop the ancient beast, and what happened to everything after the incident!!!

You know, I actually played through the Team Aqua/Kyogre climax of Alpha Sapphire early this morning. Yet I do not recall Team Aqua being gobbled up by Kyogre at any point. Peculiar.
According to Courtney's vision in the last episode, Maxie and co. are hit by Groudon's attack. If nothing else, Generations has given both of the leaders equal opportunities to die.

Could the deaths fit in with known game canon? Or are these potential divergent futures?...

"As long as I have the Blue Orb, Kyogre will do my bidding!"
*proceeds to throw blue orb away*

"Kyogre, listen to my demands!"
*kyogre proceeds to not do his bidding*

really archie really

yet another attempt to tell an actual untold story *cougharchie&jirachicough* but instead told us what we know

Last edited:
Could the deaths fit in with known game canon? Or are these potential divergent futures?...
Well Maxie/Archie are both available to your partner at the Battle Resort... so probably an alternate future. Which ever game you play, the "villain" also appears in the Delta Episode after their plan for Groudon/Kyogre fails

So are we to assume Archie/Shelly and Maxie/Tabitha got killed by their respective Primals? Because that's kind of dark considering they weren't exactly selfish villains, just misguided. The only thing I can really give such a change is that it'd more justify Matt/Courtney jumping off the slippery slope as much as they did in the Delta Episode.

As for the episode itself, it's a good episode in its own right, but I will agree it's a missed opportunity. The episode does a great job portraying the power and destruction that the Primals are capable of, and you can feel it through the music, the animation, and even the voice acting overall. It felt like a cataclysm was reborn into the world and everyone was going to suffer greatly from it, including those who thought they could control their power.

However, I do have to agree with The Outrage and Esserise in that they missed a good time to expand on Archie and Shelly's backstory. The Jirachi bit, while only alluded to in the games if you look for it, is supposed to be an important part of their drive to revive Primal Kyogre. It's one of the reasons why I enjoy Team Aqua more then Magma, and it was something I was hoping they'd do if they did do a focus episode on the team. So the fact that it's not even referred to even remotely is a bit disappointing, I can't completely fault the episode as that wasn't the intent to go into the characters, but I will say I wish they did at least give a small flashback to that moment for those two.

It wouldn't as the Team Leaders and their admins are clearly alive after the event and play a role in the Delta Episode in ORAS. Also, as mentioned before, they also appear in the Battle Resort as potential partners (though I'm sure some would argue post game content's continuity). So their deaths would actually rewrite some events if that's the case, making Generations more of a retelling rather then a supplement to the game's canon.

As for the episode itself, it's a good episode in its own right, but I will agree it's a missed opportunity. The episode does a great job portraying the power and destruction that the Primals are capable of, and you can feel it through the music, the animation, and even the voice acting overall. It felt like a cataclysm was reborn into the world and everyone was going to suffer greatly from it, including those who thought they could control their power.

I do agree that it does an exceptional job of illustrating the power of Primal Kyogre.

It's just that, you know, that kind of thing is about as substantial as any generic disaster movie, and this is a generic disaster movie squeezed into six minutes. Personally, I would much rather see something engaging be done with the actual people in the story, rather than be treated to stock characters running futilely from mindless apocalyptic doom.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom