• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review PG15: The King Returns

Well, this one was at least somewhat interesting. The script was totally phoned in*, and Ghetsis had an unfortunately cliché Deep Bad Guy Voice (I've always imagined his voice as being more raspy and higher in pitch), but the aesthetic choices for the Splicers/Absofusion were neat.

I'll give them credit for the twist inversion ending. It works better for this format than having Nate/Rosa would (whereas I think the games function better without Hildabert), and makes logistical sense (if Reshiram could sense how Kyurem was feeling and could relay that to N, then presumably, Zekrom could do the same for Hildabert, albeit less directly). And it sets up a pretty killer rematch prospect: Hilbert & Zekrom vs. Ghetsis & White Kyurem.

So, while I do think this is a superior scenario to what we have in B2W2, that feels unfair - there's no way that B2W2 could have made this work.

Also, I'll have to dock them a point for using my least-favorite of the Gen V protagonists, when the alternative would have been the coolest of them.

* EDIT: Although I guess I can't fairly knock it for the script, since they seem to have entirely given up on doing anything but slightly-modified game scene recreations. If they're just going to put scenes from the games to the screen then, well, you're going to get game dialogue.

Last edited:
N and Ghetsis' voices were so wrong for them. And again the dialogue came off as clunky and preachy. Although I love the fact that Hilbert and Zekrom came in to save N. So it's got that going for it. But it only like 30 seconds out of a 5 minute video. I'm bummed how bad the Unova episodes were.

Onto Kalos I guess. At least you can't make XY's story worse than it already is.

Now that was a role reversal, except it was more like "W2's protag not existing, N needed rescuing, and Hilbert comes into save the day" instead of "W2's protag needed rescuing, N saves the day, and W1's protag being somewhere else."

Interesting. I wish it was Hilda, but alas, it was not meant to be. :(

Loved it, loved it.

The script was a little wooden and the voices were generic, but they largely kept true to the characters and intent. I don't mind N sounding so weird though, since he was raised to be a king and was probably taught to be formal, fancy and stiff. Plus a lot of the dialogue was actually very similar to what was used during this scene in the game, which really shows their commitment to this episode.

The animation was beautiful, and this time all the humans looked good. They've been improving a lot in this regard lately.

Being an unabashed Gen V shill, I can say that I liked all the episodes we got. It's sad that we didn't get expansions on known concepts like we did in the Eusine episodes, and there are so, so many things that they could have covered with the episodes they did have, but this was still amazing.

Interestingly, I just noticed that we can see Ghetsis's right arm in this.

They MUST have a reason for favoring White 2. I just can't figure it out, though. Also, HILBERT RETURNS!!!!!!

They MUST have a reason for favoring White 2.

Well it is the better one

My guess would be because it pairs N with Reshiram, which at this point is the more recognizable pairing due to the mainstream anime.

They MUST have a reason for favoring White 2. I just can't figure it out, though. Also, HILBERT RETURNS!!!!!!
They used the Black/Black 2 version of Opelucid last episode, it's probably a balance thing. One episode uses one version canon, other episode uses the other version.

They did that in Hoenn too so it's not too strange.

I still think that Black Version pairing N with Zekrom makes more sense than White pairing him with Reshiram, though.

Last edited:
This is basically what would have happened if Game Freak had released Gray instead of B2W2, as was the original plan. Actually, they wanted two third versions... I assume that if Black and White are ever remade (in like 10 years), we'll get something like this for the post-game (B2W2 really didn't add all that much story-wise). I like it better than adding another protagonist who lacks a bond with N.

I guess that the production staff just don't like Lucas, huh?

Last edited:
In thinking about it, this episode is actually very savvy in its repositioning of the characters - because the Generations shorts cannot have speaking protagonists and have consistently made a practice of reallocating that role to the supporting characters as a workaround, it makes a lot of sense to have the confrontation be between Ghetsis and N (people who actually know each other and have something to discuss, unlike Ghetsis and Kid-From-Podunk-Unova 2.0), and to have Hilbert be the surprise savior, since he doesn't need to talk in order to fill that role. He can be the PG02 Red and it still does exactly what it needs to do, which is be a surprise appearance of a character that means something to us.

For the games, it pretty much had to be N coming back to clean up his mess, but they weren't going to have us play as Hildabert again. That'd have been too awkward, and they weren't going to have Hildabert appear to save us either, since they don't like to make old protagonists talk. Besides, what would they even say? "Hey Ghetsis, how's it going? Still an asshole? Cool, well I'm gonna' KO your dragon now."? There's just not much worth saying between them; not nearly as much as between Ghetsis and N. And having them both show up would, in my opinion, be too much. It starts to feel more like Ghetsis just invited all of his enemies to a party.

Which is why it's extremely clever to make N the focal point here. It retains the part of the scene that actually has emotional weight, and having Unfortunately-Not-Hilda take N's place retains the necessary narrative function of keeping N from freezing to death, but also adds in a double-whammy of emotion because we finally get that reunion. But it's only possible because in this format, Nate/Rosa, fine chaps though they are, would have been only one step above plot devices like the rest of the protagonists in this series.

(Also, I want to clarify on my previous note that while I think the design choices for the Splicers/Absofusion process in this are interesting, I still don't prefer them to the games' portrayal. Although, I wonder if the square, almost digital-looking lights around Kyurem are meant to be a reference to Gen V's "digital breakdown" evolution sequence.)

I assume that if Black and White are ever remade (in like 10 years), we'll get something like this for the post-game (B2W2 really didn't add all that much story-wise).

I could see them doing that - the only really "substantial" things from B2W2 are the new/revamped locations and the Team Plasma revival. Stuff like Cheren being a Gym Leader and what-have-you can be handled like Wallace was in ORAS.

But, I can't picture the in-game version of this event playing out as we just saw - it would essentially have be the B2W2 climax but with Hildabert standing where Nate/Rosa were, and with N coming to their rescue. Which I think would feel a bit damp on an emotional level, with this supposedly being their "big reunion," when potentially, one could have seen their first farewell only a few hours ago, if one had continued playing right after beating the main game.

The only way I can think to get around that would be to do a DLC event some months or even a year later, adding in the B2W2 stuff and having us play through it as Hildabert. I think there needs to be actual time between the events in order to put distance between us and N, so that his return has impact, or else it's not even worth doing.

Last edited:
That was another super badass episode, was great seeing the legends go at it and I marked out when Herbert showed up at the end! would've been way more badass had the other protag shown up to help N in game, shame it didn't happen that way, though I would've had it as Hilda helping N in game/this.

The only way I can think to get around that would be to do a DLC event some months or even a year later, adding in the B2W2 stuff and having us play through it as Hildabert. I think there needs to be actual time between the events in order to put distance between us and N, so that his return has impact, or else it's not even worth doing.
To be honest, it wouldn't have much emotional impact for players of B2W2 or viewers of this short. They'd have to do something different, probably involving the original dragon.

Last edited:
To be honest, it wouldn't have much emotional impact for players of B2W2 or viewers of this short. They'd have to do something different, probably involving the original dragon.

That's true. And logically, the Original Dragon would be the thing to do in remakes, wouldn't it? (Much as I'd rather they not.)

I wonder if there's a satisfying way to rewrite BW's ending so that N doesn't leave Unova. I mean, as it is, he may as well not have in the grand scheme of things. And I think it'd at least make sense for him to want to help repair the damage caused by Team Plasma, like his followers, rather than skipping off to another region. I also think it'd be nice to see him acknowledge that there were people who legitimately believed in his cause.

Of course, BW may be the story that's potentially the most affected by being in the Mega universe. If it were me, I'd consider rewriting things so that Ghetsis doesn't come back in the post-game (it doesn't really matter whether he's successfully apprehended or not; either's fine), and instead, Colress takes on the role as the primary antagonist, for real this time. Having read about the great accomplishments that were brought about by the bond between the twin heroes and the Original Dragon, his goal would be to recreate it, and in the course of this, he could steal N's dragon - leading to a confrontation with him at the Giant Chasm and, as Ghetsis did in B2W2, you face against his Black/White Kyurem... except this time, after the DNA Splicers were stolen from Opelucid, Drayden entrusted you with the Mega Stone for Reshiram/Zekrom, in acknowledgement of how the bond between the two of you has grown since N's Castle. You defeat BW Kyurem using Mega Reshiram/Mega Zekrom (this allows them to put new forms on both covers, where the OD would be incapable of such, and it satiates my anti-OD bias), which causes Colress to see the potential of Mega Evolution first-hand, and confirms his theory about the power of the bond without needing to recreate the OD. Satisfied, he abandons that goal, and you return N's dragon to N. This alleviates the problem of N giving his dragon away, and my personal gripe with Nate/Rosa being able to shatter BW Kyurem with standard Pokémon after BW talked up Reshiram/Zekrom as being this super-fearsome entity that regular Pokémon couldn't stand up to. And although SM would be quite old by this point, it also ties into the mention of the Mega Ring in those games.

Edit: Ooooh, coming back to this, I really love the prospect of N having his Pokémon stolen from him. And presumably it wouldn't have even been in a Poké Ball at the time - that could offer quite a lot of room to explore some interesting reactions from his character.

Last edited:
After reading everyone's replies to this thread, I'll probably come back after I've watched it again. For some reason, it was my least favourite outside of episode one... I think I need to rewatch it so that I can fully enjoy it. The volume on my tablet is quite low so that may have something to do with it.

Do you know what I really like about this episode? The MUSIC!!!

Being a father(?)-son(?) reunion yet at the same time crime atonement for N and punishment visit upon Ghetsis, additionally being the Final Big Battle, that is really a clever BGM choice to bring out the subtle sentiments behind the characters.

Well of course, the roles and dialogues between the two obviously contribute to this situational sentiments (Though to be honest the dialogue was a bit cliche......). This situation is possible only between N and Ghetsis due to their relationship. If follow the game plot script faithfully as like it was in B2W2 with the protagonist and Ghetsis, all these subtle sentiments will just fade to thin air. That's why this plot rewrite is much much MUCH better, not only it is more logical, but it will become more emotional.

Also again, great work in the animation. The movements of the Tao Dragons are just cool to watch!

If follow the game plot script faithfully as like it was in B2W2 with the protagonist and Ghetsis, all these subtle sentiments will just fade to thin air. That's why this plot rewrite is much much MUCH better, not only it is more logical, but it will become more emotional.
But Ghetsis and N's interaction is pretty much straight from the games. The difference here is that the exchange happens before Ghetsis is defeated, and it is Hilbert who saves the day.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom