• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Physical or Digital anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Physical as I prefer to actually be able to hold what I own. I only buy games digitally if they can only be bought that way or if they have a limited physical release run and I know I wouldn't be able to buy it physically, assuming it's a game I want of course. This goes for books and movies as well.

Digital. Physical media is at least three or four times as expensive as the real price. I mean seriously, discovering Steam exists really opened my eyes on how expensive things are in my country.

I prefer physical objects, including still buying CD's like an old person, but I do own a few digital things just out of convenience and because I didn't particularly care enough to have a physical copy, like Mario Kart which I don't care about "displaying" the box and only bought to occasionally play with friends.

Physical usually, but it depends on what the item in question is.

Physical media, except a few Steam and Nintendo eshop games.

It depends. I'm not a fan of digital books, as they hurt my eyes, so I buy ones that I really like. But I have bought some manga digitally because their physical copies have long been out of print, so I'm starting to warm up to that. I still buy anime DVDs and video games when I can, if I really like them, but if there are no physical copies, then I'll go digital.

I personally prefer physical, particularly if the system can run it directly off the physical media (PS4 and XB1 need not apply). Wasn't that ... y'know, kind of the point of physical media gaming in the first place?

The irony being that I grew up as a PC gamer which has essentially been doing games digitally (i.e. installations) for decades now.

Anyway, that aside, I'm not necessarily against games in digital format, but it really depends on the game and other factors. E.g. does the game have a physical release at all, what is its price point and download size, etc.

I generally prefer to just read physical books in my hands instead of on a monitor, though I have done the latter for books I didn't care to own. For movies, I often find it convenient to just watch movies online that I happen to find available, but if I'd rather own it, then I'd just buy the DVD (or now Blu-ray). I do still buy physical copies of video games for consoles, but GOG.com and Steam have generally made digital copies for PC games the way to go for both easier accessibility and cheaper prices, at least for older games.

Where possible, I buy physical, but I have purchased music digitally in recent months.

Honestly, both because of the positive points mentioned in the previous posts and that it's iffy on one being the only choice.

To back up the physical side though:
1. As nice bonus when it comes to physical books you can read any of your own free of charge or energy during the day. No charger cable or batteries needed.

2. Sometimes things are pull on digital platform for numerous reasons whether legit or not. On the one hand when taking say Pokémon for example. If you got the Indigo League Volume 3 or Orange Island Boxset back in the day, you get some episodes banned from later releases or current streaming services as they can't legally come to our residences and delete them from the DVDs we got back then.

Physical, usually, but may have to move to physical, as some of my sought after games have become very rare, very quickly eg Radiant Historia, Devil Survivor. Actually, Persona 3 Portable was my first digital purchase.

Physical. This way, in case my system breaks I'll at least still have the game (albeit without any DLC), and digital tends to take up a LOT of space.

Physical when possible, for books and video games. Movies/TV I don't really watch much of other than some anime every once in a while on Netflix or Crunchyroll, so I don't count that when it's barely relevant for me lol.

I like being able to look at my collection of games in particular and have everything sorted the way I like. I also HATE using up space on game consoles and needing to buy SD cards or a new HDD. PS4 drives me absolutely nuts with the installs for games I own a disc for, but I still do it because I like knowing that I have that copy no matter what, even if I lost my PS4 or couldn't get into my PSN account one day. I hope that cartridges keep getting cheaper and that - if we can avoid the Bad Future of digital-only - all consoles move to carts with no need for installing some day. And also, since it feels like I often play/replay more of my old games than new ones, that makes it even more important to me to be able to have access to them at any time.

That said, I do get some games digital when that's the only option or buying it physical is ridiculous in cost. I just very much prefer not to have to do that.

As for books... well, I have very sensitive eyes and I have to put on blue light filters on everything at all times of day, and I still get headaches from screens at times. A physical book in my hand isn't going to do that, and there's just something satisfying about physically turning a page and being able to put a cute little bookmark to save your spot. I'm also the type who LOVES to organize shelves and I like to every once in a while go through my manga collection and try to sort it in a better way, which I couldn't do with digital copies.

Generally physical. I do prefer to own the games just in the event of something happening to my system I'd be ready to go again instantly if I were to replace it. Not to mention owning physically let's me share with a friend if they want to try a game out but are unsure if they want to buy it.

Granted as far as my PS4 goes in the last few years I'd swapped to digital due to the system liking to randomly spit the discs out and interrupt gameplay.

My stance on it is honestly a mix / in the middle.

Both of these formats have their share of problems. Physical formats can get corrupted, broken, or stolen. Digital formats can take up a lot of digital space and once the online service ends, you won't be able to redownload it. People cite that problem when they say you "don't actually own digital formats." Especially when you get movie streaming services that decide to take away content you already purchased to make you pay double. (This happened with Hulu and Disney IIRC.)

I myself prefer physical formats. But lately my opinion on that has started to shift. Mainly because I had a freak incident where my first cartridge of BotW had broke and could no longer be read (and after doing some research on it, the Switch cartridges are apparently very flimsy and it's not an isolated problem). But then also because I ended up buying a lot of Switch games digitally anyway. Some because they were digital-only, and some because digital is just more convenient because then you don't have to keep switching cartridges all the time. (After the incident with my first copy of BotW, I've been hesitant about switching my game cartridges.)

I guess I'm leaning more towards digital, but I still say I'm in the middle.

Physical except for books. Then it depends on the book. With books I don't mind reading on my kindle since its not backlit like a PC or Phone. But games and movies I prefer physical, especially games since if something happens to the device it's on, I just use another, with digital you have to get it fixed or get the data off of it somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom