• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Physicists invalidate scientific law

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Physicists break law of nature

They are literally breaking the laws of physics to produce a substance that supposedly existed before the universe did. HOW IS THAT NOT DANGEROUS!?!?!?

Nature was not meant to be abused, to be mistreated, to be altered, to be challenged, to be controlled. Say what you will about Avatar, but it had a good point. You mess with nature and it will screw you over. Our actions with our environment has resulted in a global heating event. Now we're messing with atomic explosions from the event that possibly created the universe. Yeah, that sounds perfectly safe. And I don't care how secure they say everything is. Nature cannot be controlled. Can we manipulate weather? Yeah, on a REALLY minor scale.

Man created these "laws" that are being broken, not nature. The "law" they they broke is nothing more than an idea thoguht up by man to try an explain nature. It originated as a hypothesis, then a theory, and then a law. Like every other "law". A "law" of nature is just a theory so widely considered the truth that it's usually accepted as that.

Us breaking this "law" just means we were wrong about it. It does NOT mean we are blowing shit up.

Whatever. I still think these are forces that ought not be tampered with.

It took decades for the effects of global warming to be realized.

Time is a concept created by humans. The universe doesn't care if something happened 365 human days ago. If something is going to happen it will happen when it happens.

Do I need to say Red Herring again?

Time is not a concept, Einstein proved that it aswell as space exist, the idea that time is merely a human subjective concept was around with Kant, Leibniz and the other modern philosophers.

I'm not even going to explain further.

Whatever. I still think these are forces that ought not be tampered with.

They are not forces, you seem to have the idea that they are meddling in black magic or witchcraft.

This has lead to what seems to be the creation of quark-gluon plasma, something scientists have been theorizing about for some time now and could could potentially tell us much more about our universe than we currently know. This whole event makes me feel like we're actually making some progress and getting closer to discoveries.

I feel as though we should be going full speed ahead into these kinds of things. Mankind cannot move forward if we don't take risks, or study the world around us.

Last edited:

This has lead to what seems to be the creation of quark-gluon plasma, something scientists have been theorizing about for some time now and could could potentially tell us much more about our universe than we currently know. This whole event makes me feel like we're actually making some progress and getting closer to discoveries.

I feel as though we should be going full speed ahead into these kinds of things. Mankind cannot move forward if we don't take risks, or study the world around us.

Are those things, what make up atoms? or are they what make up the things that make up the atoms? This is really confusing stuff.

They are not forces, you seem to have the idea that they are meddling in black magic or witchcraft.

Fine, let me put it into an extremely long detailed sentence that perfectly captures what I meant.

They are messing with something that has been around for all time that has set rules because like everything else in nature, nature itself has order and by messing with this order I feel very uncomfortable because when humans being start tampering with nature bad things happen. Global Warming. The Dust Bowl. Etc.

Or I could have just said they are tampering with forces that ought not be tampered with.

Are those things, what make up atoms? or are they what make up the things that make up the atoms? This is really confusing stuff.

Protons/Neutrons/Electrons make up atoms. Quarks combine to make particles known as hadrons (yes it's really close to being hardon), the most stable of which are Protons and Neutrons.

So basically, they are the things that make up the things that make up atoms.

Also there are several particle accelerator canons designed to collide these hadrons, such as the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) and the RHIC mentioned in the OP (Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider) which was used to make this discovery.

Fine, let me put it into an extremely long detailed sentence that perfectly captures what I meant.

They are messing with something that has been around for all time that has set rules because like everything else in nature, nature itself has order and by messing with this order I feel very uncomfortable because when humans being start tampering with nature bad things happen. Global Warming. The Dust Bowl. Etc.

Or I could have just said they are tampering with forces that ought not be tampered with.

We are not "messing with rules that have been around all of time" here. We broken one single man-made "law", which is nothing more than a glorrified theory.

They are messing with something that has been around for all time that has set rules because like everything else in nature.

No, there are no rules, outside of what we as human beings create.
nature itself has order and by messing with this order

If you say nature has an order, than you would have to submit to the idea that a higher being outside of nature would be able to create order, because without that higher being, nature is chaotic.

I feel very uncomfortable because when humans being start tampering with nature bad things happen. Global Warming. The Dust Bowl. Etc.

You are admitting that your personal fears are getting in the way of seeing this from a rational view point.

There is no tampering. If it can be done, it will be allowed to be done by the mere fact that because it is not impossible.

Exactally, nature has no "rules." The only "laws" or "rules" within nature are ones that man made themselves through power of observation, and simply state what we have observed to be correct. Not some rule nature made. For one of these "laws" or "rules" to be broken simply means that our observations were incorrect.

Look, point is that I don't like this whole thing. And that's fine. You're not going to convince me this is safe in any way. I don't like it. I don't have to like it. I've given my beliefs on the matter. Good day sir.

Parity (the "law" broken here) is not Mother Earth yelling out "THE UNIVERSE SAYS THE LAWS OF PHYSICS MUST REMAIN UNCHANGED WHEN EXPRESSED IN INVERTED COORDINATES! RAAWR YOU BROKE THIS LAW IMMA EAT YOU NAO"

No, that's not what it is. The law of parity mearly states what had been, at the time, thought to be a fact based upon our observations. This law being "broken" means our observations were incorrect, and that they CAN be changed when expressed in inverted coordinates. Nothing in nature was changed through this. This has remained the truth since even before now, we ourselves didn't change this "rule" if you will. We have mearly observed that we were wrong.

Look, point is that I don't like this whole thing. And that's fine. You're not going to convince me this is safe in any way. I don't like it. I don't have to like it. I've given my beliefs on the matter. Good day sir.

This is Soap Box, you have every right to have your own opinions, and I have every right to challenge those opinions in an attempt to discover truth for myself and for you.

Responses such as those reminds me of back when people flipped out over the LHC before they fired it up for the first time, scared it would create a black hole and destroy us all.

Obviously it didn't, and it along with all the other canons of it's sort have lead to plenty of great opportunities to discover more about the universe. I've always been behind the progress of science, back then, and now as well.

Oh I agree with progress with science, but I've always felt mankind should not focus on to broad of areas. There are so many things about our own planet we don't know about and can't figure out that I always felt we should direct our aim there.

That's what this whole project they are doing is aiming for, to learn more about the mysteries about the universe out there we don't fully udnerstand yet. This whole topic is about that, the possible creation of quark-gluon plasma! That could tell us so much we don't even know about our universe yet, what created it, waht caused it to be the way it is now, how it's continuing to shape and change!

Edit: Sorry, misread your post due to dyslexia. I misread what you said as "There are so many things out there from own planet we don't know about and can't figure out that I always felt we should direct our aim there."

Still, though, these discoveries lead to knowledge about the Earth as well, not just the outside universe. Our planet is a part of the universe, and we could learn just as much about it as the rest of the universe.

That's exactly why I'm saying we are focusing to broad. Sure, it's the universe. It's big. It's awesome. Yet, there are more immediate issues at home. Anyone find it funny that we can draw an accurate map of the moon but can't map our ocean floors?

but I've always felt mankind should not focus on to broad of areas. There are so many things about our own planet we don't know about and can't figure out that I always felt we should direct our aim there.

Can you imagine what that sort of thinking would have been like for Aristotle and those ancients? We have the comfort of having too much knowledge that we can see things like that.

map of the moon but can't map our ocean floors

I think we did that once we got satellites

We are not near focusing too broadly. In order to fully understand the Earth, we must also understand the universe that it is a part of. What knowledge of Earth we can achieve solely by focus on Earth is very limited.

Also, we've mapped the ocean floors I'm pretty sure.

Edit: Yeah, 7:51 AM. I'm heading to bed now.

Last edited:

That's exactly why I'm saying we are focusing to broad. Sure, it's the universe. It's big. It's awesome. Yet, there are more immediate issues at home. Anyone find it funny that we can draw an accurate map of the moon but can't map our ocean floors?

What? We've had maps of the ocean floors for decades. Since BEFORE we mapped the moon. Once we COULD map the ocean floors...we did. Discovery even featured a map of the Pacific in a 1969 issue. Indian and Atlantic had been featured in previous years. Arctic came after.

Global warming, the Dust bowl et al happened when human introduced a new process without understanding all its effects on a large scale. If a single scientists had experimented with a car engine, there would be no global warming. It's because there are hundreds of millions of cars, and factories, and power plants that GW is such a threat. The same goes for the dust bowl.

(And let's not even get in your Hiroshima/Nagasaki example - the scientists messing with the law of nature killed nobody; the political and military leader who chose to drop the bomb did.)

This is Soap Box, you have every right to have your own opinions, and I have every right to challenge those opinions in an attempt to discover truth for myself and for you.

Shep, this is Ancora Imparo, which is not the Soap Box and does not operate under Soap Box rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom