• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pikachu/Eevee Starter Status

Who is your favorite Kanto Starter?

• Bulbasaur

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Charmander

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Pikachu

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Eevee

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

Envoy

Formerly GTT
Reaction score
As of Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, Kanto becomes the Pokemon Region with the most Starter Pokemon available to the Player in a Main Series Game (or Main Series Adjacent if you don't think they're Main Series.)

I mean, sure, we had Pokemon Yellow, but that was always seen as a one-off thing. Yes, this is a remake of Pokemon Yellow, but it also marks the second time Pikachu is available as a Starter Pokemon. Pikachu has always been the unofficial "fourth" Kanto Starter. FRLG even included a Pikachu poster in its credits scene alongside Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise. Now, with LGPE being the second Kanto game to have Pikachu as a Starter, it adds a bit more legitimacy to the idea of Pikachu being a fourth Starter. At this point, Pikachu has been a Starter in a Main Series Game almost as many times as the traditional Three. Pikachu was a Starter in Gen I through Yellow and LGPE could consider it an equivalent to FRLG. The only Generation Pikachu hasn't been a viable Starter the same way the other three have is as a secondary Starter in XY. I mean, technically, its not included with the others in the post-game of HGSS but that's because it was in Viridian Forest anyway. It should also be noted that Pikachu is available as a secret Starter choice in Pokemon Go. So, does LGPE finally legitimize Pikachu as a Starter Pokemon? Albeit a special one? Or is it still just an exception? Should Pikachu be included in every conversation about the Kanto Starters? Should we think of Pikachu alongside Squirtle, Bulba, and Char from now on? Or, even if we shouldn't, do we anyway?

As for Eevee, ever since Yellow, it's sort of been implied that lacking any other choices, Eevee is the perfect Kanto Starter....substitute. Instead of giving your Rival access to any of the traditional Starters in Yellow, they gave him an Eevee. Which, at the time, felt like a random (albeit fitting) choice. Ever since then, Eevee or its evolutions have been considered the go-to non-Starter Starters. Espeon and Umbreon were your Starters in Colosseum, Eevee was your Starter in XD, and --alongside Eevee being your Rival's Starter in Yellow, Eevee has always felt like it was Starter adjacent. A bit more so than Pikachu, even. So, does LGPE solidify Eevee as an official Kanto Starter? Or is this still another exception?

Basically, should we refer to the group as the Kanto Quintet from now on? Instead of the Kanto Trio? Should Game Freak endeavor to include Pikachu and Eevee alongside Bulba, Char, and Squirtle whenever they're distributing Kanto Starters moving forward?

Will this perhaps be the start of a new trend wherein a given region has more than three Starters at a time?

Should Game Freak endeavor to include Pikachu and Eevee alongside Bulba, Char, and Squirtle whenever they're distributing Kanto Starters moving forward?
Man, I hope not. Starter distributions are typically done because the Pokemon aren't obtainable anywhere else in the game. I'd much prefer Pikachu and Eevee to remain catchable in the wild, or at least be given out separately from the original trio so that I don't have to pass up four Pokemon and get only one.
Will this perhaps be the start of a new trend wherein a given region has more than three Starters at a time?
I don't think it's very likely. It's only happened in Yellow and LGPE, which are remakes of Yellow, so it's still pretty near a one-time thing. (Plus, those games didn't really have more than three starters-even though the trio of starters in the original game is obtainable, they're not offered as a choice of starter Pokemon) And Pikachu and Eevee aren't allowed to evolve in LGPE, which would be pretty unfortunate for any future fourth or fifth starters.

I think of them as a duo separate from the trio. If you can't choose from all five, then they aren't really a set.

Your last question depends on there being LGPE sequels, although they could move onto Suicune-tier legendaries (which would mean leaving one member of each trio in the cold). I'm pretty sure that the interactions and customization will be limited to the starters, so picking cute ones is ideal for that.

If you could evolve Eevee, then I'd vote for it... I'll go with my boi Squirtle then.

Considering that Mega Evolutions are confirmed to be here, I'm assuming that the more standard held items may be showing up. If this includes the Light Ball, well...

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom