• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pikachu, the mascot Pokémon

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
1bafdf8659a4f99183b21beb280c6b3255551711_00.gif

we all know Pikachu as the series mascot - a lot of people think it's cute! but what about you guys? like it or no? do you think it's a good mascot for the series, or would you change it to something else?

Pikachu is okay, I'd say I sorta like it because it's cute (though I vastly prefer both Raichu forms).

As for if it is a good mascot, I guess so.

I'm quite fond of Pikachu honestly. I think the general design is good and it was one of my first Pokémon when I played Red so it'll always appreciate that.

As mascot I think it was a good choice considering how things were at the time.
*Firstly, it wasn't a starter, a version exclusive, or any other "locked" option; every player could get one if they search long enough.
*It was the first rare encounter that was rare in both versions instead of common in one and rare in the other.
*It's going to stand out for first time players; it has a less standard design than the other wild Pokémon you encounter and uses electricity, which looks flashier than the other early game wild Pokémon attacks.

Now, Eevee would have been another good choice, I think. Pikachu has the advantage of being available much earleir though, and honestly in the alternate universe where Eevee is mascot I'm pretty sure lots of people would hate it instead.

I'm fine with Japanese Mickey Mouse. It has a simple yet effective design, can be made to look cute or tough depending on the artist's fancy and was as prior mentioned is obtainable in all versions of Gen 1.

The other thing is that the Pokémon Company don't shove it in your face too much game-wise. Compared to say Digimon which as much as I love the Agumon Evolution line, they pander with him WAY too much where in virtually every medium he or one of his Evolutions is plot important in some fashion for the past twenty years. I groan slightly every time he shows up. :(

I originally liked Emolga getting into Pokemon, but Pikachu was a better fit for me.

I think he's an ideal mascot, nothing speaks Pokemon than seeing that bright cheerful face on practically every logo or advertisement. I feel that Pikachu's overall appearance and design is great, and his sounds and behaviors make him ten times more adorable.

The only thing I really do dislike is the fact that many people hate on Pokemon for various reasons, sometimes unknown. You may become annoyed by the appearance, or maybe the sound of a certain Pokemon, so that leads you feel some dislike towards them. I respect everyone's decision on the Pokemon they choose to like and dislike, but actually hating on it and those who like the Pokemon is something I strongly dislike.

i don't mind it, kinda. in fact, i'd go as far as to say that i kinda like pikachu, all things considered. it is the mascot, so it's understandable that it has the exposure that it does. other than that, i don't have any particular strong feelings about it. i like raichu/alolan raichu slightly more in terms of design, though.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom