• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pikachu's fluctuating strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Gray-

17 username changes :D
Reaction score
Ok, Ash's pokemonbeat the 8th gym and then he goes to a new region, and poof, it goes from like level 100 to level 1 again.
I just never understood this...

Re: Ash's Pikachu?

Since this is dealing exclusively with the anime...I'm going to move it there.

his pokemon is the master but is now rare to see in combat

Early in Sinnoh, I joked to myself that it's a different Pikachu that knows the same moves.

Considering how generally poor his record has been throughout this region, however, I'm starting to think I actually stumbled upon something...

Well, you see, when Ash goes to a new region he has to convert his cash over to the local coin, which means for a time he can't purchase Pikachu's special pokemon food, plot-o's. Which means Pikachu will get really weak for a while until it can build up enough plot power to become a beast again.

Well, you see, when Ash goes to a new region he has to convert his cash over to the local coin, which means for a time he can't purchase Pikachu's special pokemon food, plot-o's. Which means Pikachu will get really weak for a while until it can build up enough plot power to become a beast again.

It makes a disturbing amounts of sense, in some ways.
*Ash has lost more this region than others=less money.
*Pikachu STILL hasn't recovered it's power.
*No money=no plot-o's.
*No plot-o's=no repowerment.

The only flaw I can find is that Pikachu often gets weaker before the League--since by that time Ash is usually on a winning streak, he should be able to afford plenty of plot-o's, but it doesn't seem to work out that way.

Unless...
...unless...

...unless ALL the league trainers use plot-0's!

Ryuutakesh!, you've blown the lid clean off this.

Of course, we all know plot-o's is merely a street name to cover up the real product...

Well, of course the League trainers do. See, Ash spends all his money on them early on. The good trainers save up their money and spend it all at the league. See?

Ash's Pikachu is doomed by the power of resets.

A lot of people point out that Pikachu beat Regice and is therefore super powerful, but I tend to ignore that because it was such a bullshit victory. That wasn't a showcase of how powerful Pikachu had become; it was simply terrible, terrible writing.

A lot of people point out that Pikachu beat Regice and is therefore super powerful, but I tend to ignore that because it was such a bullshit victory. That wasn't a showcase of how powerful Pikachu had become; it was simply terrible, terrible writing.

Yeah, especially since Paul later got thrashed by all the Regi's so easily, one would figure Ash would be better than Paul, but then the full battle basically **** on Ash.

I do wonder, though, why people think Pikachu is so "uber," especially these days. When it's up against a non Rocket-Dan opponent, it fares just about as well as any other pokemon.

Agreed, Pikachu defeating regice is the exception more than it is the norm. People are making too much out of this victory.

Pikachu is good, not exceptional. period.

True, like any pokemon, Pika's power is driven by the plot. If they want him to win, he'll win. When they want him to lose, he loses, no matter if he's beaten a stronger pokemon in the past or not. With how much Pika has struggled lately, it would seem as if Pika has reached the limits of its abilities, which makes the fact the ol' Thunderstone is gone even more tragic, as if there was a time Pika needed to evolve, now is the time. Unfortunately, this will never happen, but imagine if he WAS a Raichu. Err...on second thought, yeah, the writers just like to make him lose once once in a while so that he doesn't seem invincible. It wouldn't matter if he evolved, they would still cause inexplicable losses just for the sake of doing so.

That quote is forever in my signature because that's something people need to remember.

I really have to disagree just for the fact it's pretty stupid to think legendary Pokemon are unbeatable. Whether you meant that or not doesn't matter, but we shouldn't say Pikachu's win over Regice was bullshit just simply because it (Regice) being a legendary Pokemon somehow means no matter what a win over one will would be bullshit.

Now you can bring up recover/rest, but the way they portray that in the anime is really bullshit in itself. How is a Pokemon ever supposed to beat something like a rest/recover user if all of a sudden it gets full health every single time.

That wasn't a true test of skill, Brandon was just delaying the battle so it would work in his favor. Encasing Pikachu in ice, and then recovering may be a decent show of skill when you win, but also showed Brandon has no balls in that battle, it's that in itself why Brandon should have lost not won. Ash doesn't rely much on cheap tactics like this preferring that if a Pokemon goes down its because the opponent itself was strong enough to take it down as it is.

It's clearly obvious that without rest Regice would have done shit to Pikachu and Pikachu would ultimately win no matter what Brandon pulled out of his ass, it's only because he abused rest, and Pikachu's one hit ko with a move it didn't use prior (its strongest attack) that somehow Ash didn't deserve to beat Brandon because of a cheap tactic showing how weak Brandon really was with Regice at the time since he just obtained it (like Ash's Gible losing to Barry's Empoleon).

Fast forward to Brandon's battle with Paul, when did he have Regice use rest? Not once, because the time Ash won to the time Brandon came back, Brandon actually had trained Regice so it wouldn't have to rely on such a cheap tactic, and Regice's true power could be unleashed in full, and the unlucky victim was Paul. There is no doubt in my mind that if Brandon and Ash were to have 1 on 1 rematch Pikachu vs Regice (at least at the time Brandon returned) Pikachu would lose.

Seriously imagine all the Pokemon (trained under Ash) imagine how different the battle would've gone down if they had some health recovering move. You think Gible still would've lost to Empoleon if it had some recover move? Or would Ash delaying Barry's win be enough to turn the tide?

I actually think its pretty funny that his power is reset at the end of every region. At least my brother stays interested lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom