• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pikachu's fluctuating strength

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ash's Pikachu?

Ok, Ash's pokemonbeat the 8th gym and then he goes to a new region, and poof, it goes from like level 100 to level 1 again.
I just never understood this...

There is nothing to understand because levels don't exist in the anime.

I do wonder, though, why people think Pikachu is so "uber," especially these days. When it's up against a non Rocket-Dan opponent, it fares just about as well as any other pokemon.

Maybe the reason why Pikachu is "uber" against Team Rocket is because it's battled with them a lot.

pokemon international just tries to make people think pikachu is beast by immediately raising him from level1 to level100

That wasn't a true test of skill, Brandon was just delaying the battle so it would work in his favor. Encasing Pikachu in ice, and then recovering may be a decent show of skill when you win, but also showed Brandon has no balls in that battle, it's that in itself why Brandon should have lost not won. Ash doesn't rely much on cheap tactics like this preferring that if a Pokemon goes down its because the opponent itself was strong enough to take it down as it is.

But all the Regis rely on defensive strategies, at least in the games. All out attacking just ain't their thing. If the same applies to the anime in this case, then Brandon was using the strategy most perfectly suited for Regice. Stalling and recovering and tiring out Pikachu would have worked but Ash had to win the 3rd time at least

There is nothing to understand because levels don't exist in the anime.

Yeah they do, there was that one girl, the bitchface, in a really early episode who talked about levels. School of Hard Knocks, that was it. Giselle. Giselle the bitchface.

Well, you see, when Ash goes to a new region he has to convert his cash over to the local coin, which means for a time he can't purchase Pikachu's special pokemon food, plot-o's. Which means Pikachu will get really weak for a while until it can build up enough plot power to become a beast again.

that makes plenty of since with Ashs money and why pikachu usually loses its 1st few battles in each region of course if it was planned that way

Yeah they do, there was that one girl, the bitchface, in a really early episode who talked about levels. School of Hard Knocks, that was it. Giselle. Giselle the bitchface.

That was 13 years ago. Levels have been scrapped since.

Mentioning it once in the 9th episode of the 1st season isn't much proof that they are USED, they were TALKED about but no proof what-so-ever of being USED.

Comprende? I hope so.

It could just be that the next region is alot stronger than the previous.

Mentioning it once in the 9th episode of the 1st season isn't much proof that they are USED, they were TALKED about but no proof what-so-ever of being USED.

Comprende? I hope so.

Alright, the talking down? You can scrap that. Entirely unwarranted, and very unattractive in a person. You can't blame a guy for thinking it was a proof of concept.

And I could get behind unfamiliarity as a cause, where it not for that handy little talking box he carries around with him that tells him everything he needs to know about every Pokémon he runs into.

The thing that bugs me the most about his fluctuating power level is that Team Rocket chases him solely because he is overpowered. That's it. Their continued existence is a reminder of that fact. So you'd think we would see more examples from, you know, Pikachu reminding us of that.

Fukkin signature'd.

Also Ash's Pikachu is the Son of God, come to us in cute and cuddly form, to relieve us of out sins of forgetting about our old Red&Blue games, abusing the missingno. glitch, forgetting the old ways of the GS Ball, not remembering to love our Pokemon as our children, and our sacrilegious worship of the pretender to the throne, Lucario.

THAT'S why Pikachu wins shit.

A lot of people point out that Pikachu beat Regice and is therefore super powerful, but I tend to ignore that because it was such a bullshit victory. That wasn't a showcase of how powerful Pikachu had become; it was simply terrible, terrible writing.
For reals.
Adding to that, I do find it funny how so many were up in arms after its loss to Elekid, soon after it's victory against Regice, and still are to this very day. I mean, even ignoring how shitty the Regice match was written, it's like...what? There can't be other pokemon in the same weight catagory that are equal to or surpass Pikachu in strength? Is Pikachu the only ickle pokemon allowed to be that powerful or something?

But all the Regis rely on defensive strategies, at least in the games. All out attacking just ain't their thing. If the same applies to the anime in this case, then Brandon was using the strategy most perfectly suited for Regice. Stalling and recovering and tiring out Pikachu would have worked but Ash had to win the 3rd time at least

Yeah, that was practically what Brandon said when battling against Paul, right? Diddn't he said his strategy, his way of battling was to endure all of opponents' attacks?

Electrical sacs in its cheeks?

More like STEROID SACS.

dman_dustin said:
Whether you meant that or not doesn't matter, but we shouldn't say Pikachu's win over Regice was bullshit just simply because it (Regice) being a legendary Pokemon somehow means no matter what a win over one will would be bullshit.

I never once implied that. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Pikachu's victory against Regice was bullshit because it essentially one hit KO'ed the pokemon after being worn down half the episode. Regice used Rest, an exhausted Pikachu Volt Tackled it, and BOOM - Satoshi beat the Battle Frontier. Just like that.

Another thing that bugged me about the battle is that Satoshi never really had to deal with Lock On in his final battle. Now you can argue that Regice had just been caught and therefore wasn't properly trained, but that just seems like a cheap way out to me. Instead of finding a way around the attack and really putting his experience as a trainer to the test, the writers just had Satoshi fight and fight until he came across an opponent who couldn't use that.

If that's not a cheap way out of writing a decent conclusion, I don't know what is.

Pikachu's victory against Regice was bullshit because it essentially one hit KO'ed the pokemon after being worn down half the episode. Regice used Rest, an exhausted Pikachu Volt Tackled it, and BOOM - Satoshi beat the Battle Frontier. Just like that.

Critical Hit, maybe.

That was 13 years ago. Levels have been scrapped since.

Specific levels, yes, but levels in themselves are still referenced. Such as in the Roxanne battle, where Brock told Max that whether Treecko will win against Geodude or not actually depends on it's level, not it's type advantage.

Level as in "level of power" or "level of experience," not level in the numerical way that the games use.

Pikachu's power fluctuates through a proper plot point set up by the evil cunning writers each region with a simple yet effective way. Team Rocket always blows him to hell with a large electric sapping machine that steals all his thunder and powers away each region and thus he has to start training from point one all over again and again, as long as team rocket are around. Its happened 2 times already, and Sinnoh started that way. Its almost fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom