• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pikachu's volt tackle

Keshav

Reaction score
I was pretty much disappointed when this move was replaced with Electro ball while they could have just kept it as in anime, there were pokemon with more than 4 moves. This awesome move defeated Tobias's latios and many others. It only had a brief appearance in BW and then woosh, it's gone!
So guys what do you think about this? Should that move be kept? What role could've played in XY series?
Discuss it here!

I think the move should have been kept. Electro Ball doesn't seem useful to me.

I think it definitely should have stuck around. Electro Ball is often used as a weaker version of Thunderbolt. Volt Tackle was much more appropriate since it's unique to Pikachu and it's a proper "finisher" so to speak.

it was idiotic to replace volt tackle with something far weaker and less special

They definitely haven't handled Electro Ball as well as they should, but I'm certain that it's not inferior to Volt Tackle. It's more of a missed opportunity than a complete downgrade if you ask me.

Just look at how Electro Ball works in the games. If they'd actually used that mechanic in the anime, it would have been great in conjunction with Static (I argue that this actually came into play against Roxie's Garbodor). Heck, that Pikachu is pretty fast on his own in a good day.

Going to have to agree with @Gengarzilla here. While I really love Volt Tackle, I think Electro Ball is pretty good, too. It has been used rather creatively a few times, and if the writers could give us more moments like those, I think more people would appreciate the move.

On the other hand, I did find it pretty weird to give up on Volt Tackle considering it is the signature move of the Pikachu line. Perhaps they didn't want to have to deal with the recoil damage?

I really would have liked Volt Tackle to stick around. Now Pikachu doesn't have a physical electric attack, and I find that sad. Volt Tackle was used to perfection, and it was seen when Pikachu was down and used his bravery and determination to win. Now, Electro Ball is just another projectile move and isn't used to often. I'd rather have Thunder or Discharge than Electro Ball to be honest. But I'd like his Pikachu to have an updated moveset. Iron Tail, Volt Tackle, Thunderbolt, Thunder/Discharge, Quick Attack, Electro Ball, Dig and several other minor moves such as Hidden Power could be used well in his moveset. Hidden Power could unlock Pikachu's potential an maybe give him a Fire-Type move or something. But overall, I'd rather have Volt Tackle stay. It was amazing when he defeated Latios, and it's iconic.

Replacing Volt Tackle with Electro Ball was one of BW's many many mistakes. I think everyone agreed that the DP moveset was nicely rounded to give Pikachu nice coverage, and then it gets replaced with a move that is essentially Thunderbolt in ball form. Next time Pikachu gets a new move, this is the one it should replace (although, knowing our luck, we'll end up getting Iron Tail replaced with Tail Whip).

Basically what everyone else said. I get that they were trying to promote a new Gen 5 move, but they ditched the Pikachu line's signature move for yet another Special Electric move while not even taking full advantage of its game capabilities?

Charizard forgetting Seismic Toss for Slash was also a downer.

Going to have to agree with @Gengarzilla here. While I really love Volt Tackle, I think Electro Ball is pretty good, too. It has been used rather creatively a few times, and if the writers could give us more moments like those, I think more people would appreciate the move.

On the other hand, I did find it pretty weird to give up on Volt Tackle considering it is the signature move of the Pikachu line. Perhaps they didn't want to have to deal with the recoil damage?
I suppose that's a possibility. We did only see it twice, during the Sinnoh League battle with Paul. Every single other time this recoil wasn't apparent despite being brought up numerous times. Recoil moves were definitely at their most consistent during DP, enough to bring Rock Head into play as a part of some battles.

Actually, I reckon that they'll give Pikachu a Z-Move, which may hopefully take Volt Tackle's place a finisher. That could work.
While they might give him a Z-Move (unless they give it to a starter instead, judging by the pattern so far that's likely) at least it won't replace any of his current moves. As much as I'm bitter that Pikachu forgot Volt Tackle for Electro Ball, I'd hate to see it go for what is basically Thunderbolt on steroids.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom