• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Closed Pip's Creative Corner

Creole Conlang Adventures 1
Foreword
As some of you who've read my fanfictions know, I write a lot of Hoenn headcanons. A lot. I also have a worldbuilding for Sootopolis City and its culture—its religion, its cuisine, its history, and its language... kind of. In my head, Sootopolis's language is "a mix of Greek and Japanese", but up until now, I never really thought about what exactly that means.

And then this video came up in my YouTube recommendations, which reignited my special interest in languages (well, that and buying language books at Barnes & Noble) and the motivation to figure out the Torchic Sootopolitan language. And then I found this series on making Creole conlang languages, and now here we are.

So uh... welcome.

But like... what do these words mean????
Sometimes groups of people with different languages interact, and sometimes these groups need to communicate with each other. In order to communicate, these groups will develop a pidgin language, which is a combination of two or more languages with very simplified grammar and vocabulary. Sometimes, though, a pidgin will survive long enough to develop more and more, and once the pidgin has native speakers, it becomes a creole language.

Greek
is a language of the Indo European family. It's the native language of Greece, a country in Southeast Europe. It has about 13.5 million native speakers.

Japanese is a language of the Japonic family (most consider Japanese to be a language isolate, or a part of the very small Japonic family alongside the Ryukyuan languages). It's the native language of Japan, a country in East Asia. It has about 128 million native speakers.

Most languages develop naturally across time. A conlang (constructed language), meanwhile, is deliberately constructed. Conlangs are often seen in fiction, such as Klingon and Elvish.

Creole Conlang Adventures 2
Vowel Power...el
This was the easiest part, lol. I did learn a lot about phonology (the branch of linguistics that focuses on phonetics, which is, like, mouth sounds), so lemme share that.

Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 11.33.51 PM.png

Before you say it, yes this is from Wikipedia. Shut. Shut up. Many Wikipedia articles list sources it's okay GO AWAY ENGLISH TEACHERS—

This is a vowel chart. You probably know the vowels a, e, i, o, and u (and sometimes y but that's English vowels not vowel linguistics so it's not a vowel now), but there's a lot of vocal nuances in how vowels are said across languages, and several languages have more than 5/6 vowel sounds. That doesn't matter now, because the chart we're looking at is:

IMG_2913_50.png

If this looks complicated, don't worry. It's just a fancy way of saying "the vowels are almost the exact same to the point that I'm just going to favour the Greek pronunciations in blue because that would realistically be the simpler and more common pronunciation because reasons."

Consonants are where it gets... complicated.

Last edited:
Creole Conlang Adventures 3
Complicated Consonants (not anymore!)

In contrast to vowels, which are produced with an open vocal tract, consonants are produced with a partially or fully closed vocal tract.

Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 5.22.32 PM.png

One day I will organize this into, like, those charts you see on the phonology Wikipedia articles, but that... is a headache for another time.

Oh also the second column is how each sound is written.

I did remove some sounds from both languages but if I really really need them I can add them later. Sometimes conlangs work on a matter of removing rather than adding.

Torchic organizes a bunch of pokeyman cards 1
So I have time to do stuff again. Let's organize my Pokémon cards.

I have a lot of cards. A. Lot. I had just finished sorting through one binder when I found ANOTHER binder of Pokémon cards. Oof. Some of these cards were from @columboisreal, some of them were from another friend, and some of them were ones I got myself.

Anyway, here are my favourites.

Look at this FAT. BIRD. Look how happy this birby is. The joy and innocence on a summer's day.

I love that stupid smile.

This. This is the thesis of Pokémon. The bonds between humans and Pokémon.​

Shipping Tourney: Wallace Edition (Part One)
So on a whim I made a ship tournament bracket and decided... why not unleash this on you guys
( @sleepwick this is your and your bracket's fault /lh)
IMG_6842.png

Basically basically I will start with the matchups on the left side. 1v1 (or 2v2 I guess lol), wherein you vote for the pairing you prefer more. The one with the most votes by Nov. 6, 6:00 PST (give or take) moves on to the next round.

ROUND ONE (for ease of clarity)
Wallace/Nessa VS Wallace/Clair
Wallace/Archie VS Wallace/Lucy
Wallace/Volo VS Wallace/Grusha
Wallace/Siebold VS Wallace/Diantha
Wallace/Grant VS Wallace Tucker
Wallace/Sabrina VS Wallace/Malva
Wallace/Lance VS Wallace/Cynthia
Wallace/Harley VS Wallace Melli

(Smash announcer: ready? GO!)

Last edited:
I did the grammar basics thing of my creole conlang (Part 3? 4?)
Back
Top Bottom