• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Planned multiplayer in overworld?

pokefan548

Dance the Mamushka
Reaction score
I've found that there are several features that are completely irrelevant to the singleplayer game. Examples include the saving animation, split hot springs, and a few other bits scattered around the landscape. I think that at one time, 2 players may have been able to enter the overworld at the same time, but for whatever reason it was removed. I talked to a friend about it and they said they thought it may still be in development, and may be introduced later, and thus the landscape was braced for this change. Feel free to contribute your evidence or speculation.

I have a feeling that Game Freak may want to do this in a future game but perhaps the technology isn't there yet or they don't think that's really suitable for the 3DS. I have a feeling that when we start getting crossplay Pokemon games (which based on Nintendo's statements about next gen could possibly happen on the next handheld), we'll see something like this.

Can you explain your reasonings? I don't see what the saving animation has to do with the idea that 2 players may have been able to play at once on the overworld. The hot springs just seemed to me to have been supposed to resemble actual hot springs that are separate for male and female (even though I can enter both). And what are these "other bits scattered around the landscape"? I'm confused~

I dunno, maybe I'm reading too much into things, it just seems like you wouldn't need a visual que to signify a manual save in a singleplayer game, and I'm not sure about the hot springs. As for the other bits, it's mostly stuff I see, go "hmmmm" and walk off forgetting about it 3 encounters later.

It's there because in the Japanese version, the Save function is known as Report. So your character is writing their report.

If I were to find something weird about the hot springs, its that the Gentleman in the PC said it's Pokemon only--yet they gender segregated it.

I think you're looking too deep into it, but I'd LOVE if this became a thing.

Didn't they have this in Black and White? I don't know how interactive it was, because I didn't know anyone else with the game to try it, but I'm certain it was there.

Didn't they have this in Black and White? I don't know how interactive it was, because I didn't know anyone else with the game to try it, but I'm certain it was there.
The X-Tranceiver was one thing, and I think the Hi-link was also part of multi-playing.

I'd love to see this feature in the future. The berry blending mini-game should be brought back so we can do it with friends (over wifi as well), and also, multiplayer contests. But then I'm afraid that this may eventually lead to something mmorpg-esque, something I really don't want to see in pokemon games.

@The Outrage;
Then where should I take my Metagross

It was basically limited to gimmicks. You couldn't say, battle trainers together or anything like that, it basically amounted to completing missions.

Nope. That isn't Pokemon. All multiplayer can be divided into two type: PvE and PvP. Obviously, we already have PvP in battling--that's about as far as the concept goes. And how would PvE even work? The regions are too linear and have no randomly generated content, so exploring with friends isn't an option. Pokemon doesn't have the concept of dungeons or even co-op that other multiplayers have. The closest there is is tag battles in the battle facility. Open world multiplayer just won't work in Pokemon.

Nope. That isn't Pokemon. All multiplayer can be divided into two type: PvE and PvP. Obviously, we already have PvP in battling--that's about as far as the concept goes. And how would PvE even work? The regions are too linear and have no randomly generated content, so exploring with friends isn't an option. Pokemon doesn't have the concept of dungeons or even co-op that other multiplayers have. The closest there is is tag battles in the battle facility. Open world multiplayer just won't work in Pokemon.

I agree. I have a hard time imagining this concept to play out in a main series Pokemon title. For a potential spin of Pokemon title, perhaps, but not a main series title.

Ah yes... I remember the days of Entralink in Black and White when i would bring my DS to a convention to check who else is playing it. I would go connect to their game and act like a random NPC just standing there.
And then slowly stalk them until they notice.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom