• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Platinum save issue?

Haruka_Rules!

Long live Haruka (May)!
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been brought up before. I bought a used copy of Platinum from GameStop a few weeks ago. I notice it takes longer to save than other Pokemon games. It takes about 10-35 seconds depending on how much it's saving.

Is that normal or do I have a bad copy? I hope there's nothing wrong with my game as I downloaded Acreus to my card and I don't want to lose him.

There are no problems.

If your game FAILS to save...that is when you should be concerned.

Mine does the same thing its just how platinum is

Sorry if this has been brought up before. I bought a used copy of Platinum from GameStop a few weeks ago. I notice it takes longer to save than other Pokemon games. It takes about 10-35 seconds depending on how much it's saving.

Is that normal or do I have a bad copy? I hope there's nothing wrong with my game as I downloaded Acreus to my card and I don't want to lose him.

You won't the amount of time it takes to save depends on how long you've spent doing things in the game

The DS games in general take much longer to save then any of the previous generations. It all depends on how much stuff you've done from when you first turned on the game to when you save.

For some reason, when saving in Platinum, I notice that I always get the "Saving a lot of data" about 90% of the time. That and when I run around Hearthome, it seem to lag a bit. I just assumed that it was my copy, until I heard the issue was with other people copies as well.

It happens after you played a while, or you messed around with your PC. Nothing to worry about. What you should worry about is the darn GTS glitch in some Platinum games. >(

For some reason, when saving in Platinum, I notice that I always get the "Saving a lot of data" about 90% of the time. That and when I run around Hearthome, it seem to lag a bit. I just assumed that it was my copy, until I heard the issue was with other people copies as well.

Saving a lot of data appears after you've used the PC to change your party or move Pokèmon about.

Saving a lot of data appears after you've used the PC to change your party or move Pokèmon about.

Not only. In my old Pearl it always says that because I've played so much, and in platinum it says when I play a lot.

It's true that if you move a Pokemon in a PC box, it takes longer to save. My
Platinum takes about 10-23 seconds to save a file.

the save time depends on what you do, related to the pc boxes, in my opinion. I have noticed that when I made changes to the organization of my pokémon (whether withdraw, deposit or move them between boxes), I find out that the save time is longer and that it says "Saving a lot of data...", apart from that, normal save time. The only thing you should be concerned is with saving errors.

It is normal, as GEN iv uses flash memory, not unreilable ram like in gens 1 and 2.

I think I heard somewhere that unlike the old games, Gen IV doesn't delete the previous save file before saving a new one, so if the save is interrupted it just loads the old file instead of destroying it entirely as could sometimes happen with the old games.

That amount of time isn't bad, it's when it takes two minutes or more to save that you have a problem, that happens in the fake copies.

Mine does that if I've been playing for a few hours without saving.

I've only noticed it happen if I do something with the PC. It's only about 20 seconds so it's not that big of a deal.

I think I heard somewhere that unlike the old games, Gen IV doesn't delete the previous save file before saving a new one, so if the save is interrupted it just loads the old file instead of destroying it entirely as could sometimes happen with the old games.

This is correct, I lost my entire Yellow save file because one save was interrupted.

When "the save file are corrupted" in the old games everything is gone. But in the newer games, "the previous save file will be loaded".

My platinum takes awhile also. It just depends what you did in-game. Lets say you defeat a gym, evolve your pokes, and reach another city. That's a "saving a lot of data" kind of thing. lol

Thanks.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom