• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Play as the Opposite Gender?

Do you always play as the same gender?

• Yes, I never play as the opposite gender.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • No, I sometimes play as the opposite gender.

Votes: 96 75.0%

• Total voters
I switch around, but during old replays I usually play as the male protagonist. Jeans, jackets and t-shirts are my usual wardrobe... a lot of the male protagonists' designs have those, so I guess they resemble what I'd look like in the Pokemon world more than the females, who wear shortsleeves, dresses and skirts. Female designs just look kind of strange to me, while the other gender looks more ordinary. Also, you wouldn't catch me wearing a dress or skirt anywhere.

However, in Pokemon Black and White, I've never used the female character at all. It's mostly because I like the male's design a whole lot more, and partially because I want to make those already-weird moments like the Ferris Wheel a little less creepy. Weird fanart cannot be unseen... :uhoh:

Last edited:
I played through Crystal as...well...Crystal. I fully intend on my first ORAS playthrough being with May. As far as character customization goes, I think there are more options.

I like the male protagonists, they are more interesting. But there are some exceptions, like the protagonists in Black and White. Hilda and Rose are much more beautiful!

I'm always a boy. I'll probably be a boy in most runs I do. Why? Because I'm a boy!

I play as a female for my main games (Ex. Diamond, Y) and third versions (Ex. Platinum), but when I play the other version (Ex. Pearl, X), I choose to be a boy. I like to see the minor differences, particularly when the other gendered protagonist is in the game, and it would be pretty boring going through the game again with the same character.

I like the male protagonists, they are more interesting. But there are some exceptions, like the protagonists in Black and White. Hilda and Rose are much more beautiful!

Honestly, if I was worried about which ones were more "interesting", I'd always pick the girl. The boys don't have a whole lot of variety in their appearances, they always have short, dark hair and plain looking outfits.

I had to be male in Red and Silver. When Crystal was released, I could finally play as a girl and been doing that ever since.

My hubby played as male for the first two Gens, then switched to female during Sapphire. He finds the girls cuter. Heck, he almost always runs with a fully female Pokemon team too.

I almost always play as my own gender. The only exception that I can remember is when I played through Hoenn has the opposite, but that's it. However, do plan on using the opposite gender during my next X play-through.

It's not a big deal which I play as, but I do play as my actual gender first most of the time unless I don't like the design, like in Heart Gold I played as Ethan cause I don't care for Lyra's design :s

If I buy both versions though, I use a different gender in each

Honestly, if I was worried about which ones were more "interesting", I'd always pick the girl. The boys don't have a whole lot of variety in their appearances, they always have short, dark hair and plain looking outfits.

I prefer the clean style of the male protagonists. The girls wear some extravagant outfits. I like Brendan's look in particular, his white hat is nice. *¬*

I always play as my real gender for main first playthroughs. I've only ever chosen to play as a male in when I had a second cartridge/version of the game or in a rom. I like to change it up a bit and see the differences between the genders, even if there are very few. It makes replays less boring.

I play as my own gender (male) the first time and then as a girl on a secondary playthrough. The only exception to that is going to be ORAS because May is probably my favorite protagonist.

I play as a female for my main games (Ex. Diamond, Y) and third versions (Ex. Platinum), but when I play the other version (Ex. Pearl, X), I choose to be a boy. I like to see the minor differences, particularly when the other gendered protagonist is in the game, and it would be pretty boring going through the game again with the same character.

I always play as my real gender for main first playthroughs. I've only ever chosen to play as a male in when I had a second cartridge/version of the game or in a rom. I like to change it up a bit and see the differences between the genders, even if there are very few. It makes replays less boring.

I swear, are you guys sisters? Haha.

I usually play through as male for my main walk-through and in replays. The only time I haven't is when I played Ruby (because May is awesome and Brendan looked like a derp who wanted to overheat himself) and recently Serena since I landed a free X version through a deal. Plus, with the new gender I force myself to use completely different Pokemon than usual to truly make it a different character (no Froakie, Fletchling, etc for me T~T).

I usually play through as male for my main walk-through and in replays. The only time I haven't is when I played Ruby (because May is awesome and Brendan looked like a derp who wanted to overheat himself) and recently Serena since I landed a free X version through a deal. Plus, with the new gender I force myself to use completely different Pokemon than usual to truly make it a different character (no Froakie, Fletchling, etc for me T~T).

Actually, yes.

Actually, yes.

Haha.

Yes.

That explains so much! Wowwwwww!

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom