• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Play as the Opposite Gender?

Do you always play as the same gender?

• Yes, I never play as the opposite gender.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • No, I sometimes play as the opposite gender.

Votes: 96 75.0%

• Total voters
I'm male and almost always play as the male character. Only time I can remember playing as the female character is when I played through FireRed several times in a row to get Raikou, Entei and Suicune. It dulled the monotony a bit.

I'm a male and play as the male characters, though I may pick the female character sometimes during replays out of boredom.

For me, it depends, if the protagonist is a guy, I will choose the guy character. But if it is a switch protagonist(just like the X/Y version), I'll choose either of the gender.

However, for the recent version, there's a change outfit and I appreciate that features so I will now choose a guy character so I can freely choose the outfit that I can wear.

Male first, female second. Its what I do with every game. Though in Pokemon the differences are significantly less pronounced than say, Skyrim.

when I first played Pokemon I always picked the male and named myself Ash cause I liked the anime. Then I started to play as females cause again of the anime.
In X, for the first time in forever I picked Male again, but not only that I choose my name. I regret choosing my name though.

Before Gen. VI. I chose females when the option became available with Crystal. I guess it was a fresh change. And by the time Gen. V came around I decided to play a guy to switch it up but I favoured the female main character's design so I opted to choose the female PC. I played a guy in XY because, well, they have more options now due to customisation.

Normally I always choose the female character when playing these games. I like to name the character after myself and pretend I am in her shoes. Generation VI is the first generation that I started playing as a male character (I'm not including RBY or GS since no choice to play as a female character is given), and probably for the shallowest of reasons. I hated the female character's clothes and I liked what was offered to the male character. I gave him the masculine form of my name and went from there.

On Pokemon Battle Revolution, I remember having female and male passes with different looks and clothes.

Whenever I've played a Pokemon game, I've honestly just picked the protagonist who LOOKS cooler, regardless of gender.

It depends really, if I hate the appearance of the female character I'll play as the male. But I usually play as the opposite gender for sequels such as B2/W2.
Except for Platinum as I loved Dawn's appearance in it.

Sometimes I play as a female. My most recent play-throughs:

Ruby - Male
Sapphire - Female
Emerald - Female
FireRed - Male

Platinum - Female, then Male
HeartGold - Male
SoulSilver - Female

White - Male
White 2 - Male

X - Male

By default, I play as the male character since I'm a male. Since Pokemon games are paired, however, I started to use the female character on the other game to make my playthrough a little more interesting. While I doubt there are any real substantive changes in gameplay, it's nice to see different sprites and animations.

In Pokemon I always play male. Other than this and Animal Crossing I always play a female character.

It usually depends on which ever gender I think has the better design in that particular game, such as Dawn for Diamond/Pearl or Brendan for Ruby/Sapphire. However, I often choose male by default for my first run-through of the game, then pick as previously mentioned in my more serious, thought-out run.

Usually I pick the male protagonist in my main runthroughs, and if I pick up the second game in the pairing I pick the female protagonist. In Crystal, however, I almost always choose Kris 'cause she's my favorite player character.

First playthrough I'll play as my own gender, but second playthrough I pick the opposite gender. It's fun alternating after that.

I usually play as a male character but I have no problem dealing with the gurls duh.

I tried to play as a female in HGSbut just felt so weird and swapped back to boy. (Using an Action Replay you can change the gender mid game)
I didn't see it as a sex change, more as going in drag, it just felt weird and I switched back to the boy soon after.

I've always wondered what fans who identify as (Genderless, 3rd gender, neutral, unknown gender) play as in Pokemon games. Do they go with what God gave them, ie biological, or do they have other reasons like, she looks better than him etc. Something I've always wondered.

Must admit, am jealous/annoyed that girls get so much more customisation, but then I suppose that reflects real life.

On the initial playthrough I play as myself. On replays I sometimes play as either one of the canon PCs or another character altogether. If I have both versions of dual-version games, I choose one to be my main and have me and in the other I play as the opposite gender. For example, I plan to get both versions of ORAS eventually. I'll play as Gabriel (myself) in Alpha Sapphire and probably May in Omega Ruby.

I almost always play as the girl, but I've been the guy in Pearl and my first Y run, and I plan to play as Brendan in Alpha Sapphire when I get it.

I never consider my player characters to be representations of myself, but rather their own people. And I feel like I have too many female characters, so I'm playing as the male more often to slowly bring the male/female ratio back into balance.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom