• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.
  • AussieEevee trains in the Bellsprout Tower on his journey through Johto. Watch as he ascends to the next level here.

Play as the Opposite Gender?

Do you always play as the same gender?

• Yes, I never play as the opposite gender.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • No, I sometimes play as the opposite gender.

Votes: 96 75.0%

• Total voters
The Possibly Fake
Reaction score
In my current playthrough of Pokémon Y, I'm playing as a female character. Why? Because the character customisation has a lot more options.

The Greatest Pokémon Ranger
Reaction score
I just finished playing X as a girl. She was pretty cool and I like her look that put together.

the plasma pokemon
Reaction score
I've considered it, but I ultimately decided against it. There's not really any major differences in the characters, other than the outfits they have (or the clothes they can buy in X/Y), so no reason for me to play a male character when I'm actually a female other than for funsies.

Reaction score
I have friend that plays as the opposite gender, but I myself have never tried it

Reaction score
I used to in Gens 2 and 3 (and in the original Gen 1 games, but to be fair all girls did.) Starting with Crystal I always played as a girl first, then on subsequent playthroughs I'd switch things up and pick the opposite gender. Since Gen 4 I've stuck with the female PCs (lack of interest in restarting due to other games clamoring for my attention.)

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I've always played as my own gender in the main games (although I've thought about playing as the opposite gender and I might do that at some point) but in pokémon ranger (the first one) I always choose the female character (Solana).

Reaction score
I'd never picked the female protagonist until Black 2, when I was forced to pick Rosa because Nate looks like a complete tool in that hat. Actually, it's more because he looks too much like Hilbert, but the hat thing doesn't help.

The default look for Calem is also far too similar to Hilbert, but I picked him over Serena because customisation is finally a thing.

Since then, I've played as May in an Emerald re-run. I might play as Dawn or Kris at some point, but I know I'll never play Leaf or Lyra. Not sure about Hilda.

#1 Wooloo Fan
Reaction score
Since I end up playing both versions, I tend to pick a male in one playthrough, and a female in another. I like playing as both. Especially in X/Y, where the trainer customisation was more extensive for the female PC.

Ey b0ss
Reaction score
Lately I've been playing as the opposite gender much more, maybe because I just like to be hawt.
That's a joke.

I'm only really playing as a girl occasionally (Platinum, Black and Y) since those are the only female designs I really like.

Praise Euterpe
Reaction score
I don't like playing as the opposite gender when I have the option to play as mine. I've been that way for quite some time. Although for reasons I don't understand, my first playthrough of Ruby I played as the guy. I have always played as the girl since.

Wham!
Reaction score
Since I have gotten into role playing,I've played as the opposite gender on White,Black2 and Y.Though,I'm going back to a girl and being myself in OR,like I did on Fire Emblem:Awakening on my main file.

Collecting Events
Reaction score
I usually choose male, but in X, I chose female because I thought the female character looked better than the male. It felt weird at first, but I got used to it. Also don't regret it because the female character is far more customizable.

Sir RTA fan of Wikia
Reaction score
I pick the male character more often than not, but I picked the female character once.

Lil' Mr. Saturn
Reaction score
I usually play as my gender, I feel more comfortable. Also I like more the female characters the male ones usually have a more plain design.

Let's-a Go Eevee
Reaction score
I've only ever gone with the opposite gender once, which was when I played through Platinum as Dawn and made a team similar to hers in the anime. Otherwise, it just feels weird (and even then, I'd always hide the screen from my folks when battles would start, cause I still felt weird about it). I'm considering doing it again though, just for the heck of it.

Reaction score
Pokemon was one of the first games I played with a female character. Now it feels weird to play as male ones in any game.

SAEV DEH WHALEZ!
Reaction score
I played as the opposite gender in the Sinnoh games because I didn't like Lucas' design. I'm probably going to play as a girl when I get Alpha Sapphire.

Reaction score
I play as both but I usually chose the female character first, even though I'm male. Although this gen I played as the male first.

And her name is John Sena!
Reaction score
I switch hit, although I usually play as a girl... My first few Emerald playthroughs (including the first one I beat Wallace in) I was always playing as a boy... I'm pretty sure my first time playing as a girl was in Diamond

Reaction score
I have all the Pokemon games, so usually I do one (or two) females to one male per generation/set of games. HGSS and XY are the exceptions. All those trainers are female. But XY is because I needed to have a dark-skinned trainer and a light-skinned one...