• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Play as the Opposite Gender?

Do you always play as the same gender?

• Yes, I never play as the opposite gender.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • No, I sometimes play as the opposite gender.

Votes: 96 75.0%

• Total voters
Though I mostly use the male PC, I've used the female PC occasionally as well (mostly when I did a Nuzlocke I wanted to make a comic off and wanted to make the main character female)

I usually play as the famale, as others have said, it feels more personal to me. Also I just think the famales generally look more appealing in terms of character design and recently, customisation.

If I'm playing a Pokemon game for the first time, I would always play as female. When I'm replaying a title, I would sometimes play as a male character.

I'm replaying Black and I'm playing as Hilbert. First play-through, I was Hilda.

I've just started playing Pokémon Black 2, and I'm playing as the opposite (Rosa).

I've always played as a boy because -
1) There wasn't a choice when I started playing Pokemon
2) I end up with it due to my *insanely mash button to get through boring introduction* technique

It never bothered me because I'm only interested in my babies (the Pokemon) anyway

P.S I always have the same name, too (the devastatingly original "Me") :D

I voted for "Yes, I never play as the opposite gender."

While I did play as a boy (always named myself "Gary," because I liked him better than Ash:awww:) in the games I grew up with, that was only because I had no other option. I'll always play as a girl in any game that gives me the choice, no matter what.

Would love to change my vote if I could. I started playing a Wonderlocke as the female player character. Since it's not my main game, I figured why not.

I always wondered why do most people find it strange and even ridicule someone playing as character of the opposite gender.
When I pick female, I do so because I prefer to look at the female body :p But when the male is good looking too, I pick male.

I always wondered why do most people find it strange and even ridicule someone playing as character of the opposite gender.
When I pick female, I do so because I prefer to look at the female body :p But when the male is good looking too, I pick male.

Same here, I usually pick females cause of a better design or to go with the anime. They everyone says I'm weird when I do >.>

Of course! :3 I have a Pokemon story, alright, and they tie in with my games. So for every region, I have a protagonist. Female or male. For example, in the upcoming ORAS games, Kaleb, my guy from Hoenn, will be my main lead with OR, and in my AS game I'm using a male (named Nick), too. o3o. I love playing as the different genders, it's fun. ;D
So, in short: Yes, I do. :3

I tend toward the female PC, but pick the male if I don't like the female's character design, which was true in Gen II and its remakes (that bulb hat is so stupid-looking), and Platinum (because I didn't like Dawn's winter getup).

I wonder if you'll get to pick skintone in ORAS...

I just pick who I think has a better design. The only exception is Crystal version for which I will always pick the female Trainer.

However if I own both games I will choose the opposite gender for the other version.

For me I was always upset when I would play a Pokemon game and I couldn't be a girl. granted I was a protagonist going on a journey but in my eyes it was me on the Pokemon journey so I should be me and I am a girl. Lol! So for me when crystal came out with the option of being a boy or a girl that was a monumental moment for me. Cuz I could finally be a girl! (Even though I could make my skin darker so I could be a dark skinned it girl.)

I feel like I'm the same character over and over when I play as the boy all the time, so in paired versions I pick the boy in my main one and the girl next, and in third versions as the boy. However, with character customization it's possible to have two boy characters that look completely different, although I still did pick a girl in X Version.

I always prefer the male avatar when I'm playing a Pokemon game. In second, and sometimes third, playthroughs I usually play as a female for both a change of scenery and the ability to roleplay.

The only versions that I play as the opposite sex are X and Y. I preferred the female's wardrobe over the male's.

Seeing as how May's new model kinda creeps me out, I'll be playing as Brendan in both OR and AS, which I don't mind at all because his outfit looks much better to me anyway :p

I always play as the character who's design I like the most, and when I do a second playthrough I pick the gender I haven't played as yet.

I've played as the girl in FireRed, Diamond, SoulSilver, White 2 and Y. Played as the boy in Emerald and Black.

And I will play as May in Omega Ruby (though I'll probably won't play as Brendan in a second playthrough cause I really don't like his design).

I get both games and play as both characters with different teams. I swap after each save to create the illusion that the protagonists are traveling companions.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom