• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Play as the Opposite Gender?

Do you always play as the same gender?

• Yes, I never play as the opposite gender.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • No, I sometimes play as the opposite gender.

Votes: 96 75.0%

• Total voters
I usually play as a male, but for my White 2 Nuzlocke (which I succeeded in, planning to have a re-match against the Elite Four in the future), I was a girl named Zelda, as my signature indicates.

In paired versions, I pick one boy and one girl, the exception is X because character customization made it so you don't look the same in all your games. That's why I would pick the girl occasionally. Third versions I always pick the boy.

When I was a little kid I used to play as the female character a lot, typically because the designs for the male character were just abhorrent. Now I usually stick with the males as they've progressively made the designs better.

depends on the game im playing :p

FR: Red
LG: Leaf
Ruby/Emerald: Brendan
Sapphire: May
Diamond: Lucas
Pearl/Platinum: Dawn
HG: Lyra
SS: Ethan
B/W: Hilbert
B2/W2: Rosa
X: Calem
Y: Serena

As a kid I would sometimes play as a girl when I reset a game, just for something different I guess. Now as I'm older I very rarely ever play as the opposite gender.

Since Crystal I've always played as a girl. Even in replays and different versions I still pick the girl option. The reason being I freeze up on the character select screen for a few seconds before I end up settling on "girl" like I'm physically incapable of lying to a computerized professor.

Like I said in the "are you playing as Brendan or May?" thread in the ORAS forum...I would like to play as Brendan in Omega Ruby just for his contest costume. However, given my track record my brain will probably default to May and I'll be stuck with that tacky idol costume forever.

I usually pick the female character on my second playthrough. I'm definitely picking the female character when the third version of XY comes out, because the male outfit customizations are boooooooooring.

I usually play as what ever character I like the design of more. Incidentally, I liked the male character more until Gen V (although it wasn't by much in Gen III). Played as the female in the past 3 games, and for ORAS, I am going to play OR as Brendan, and AS as May because I like the designs equally.

Unless I do a Nuzlocke, I tend to play as the male characters (otherwise it's 50/50 and depends on what kind of character I want, cause I tend to do nuzlockes with the idea I'll turn it into a comic...)

I haven't played XY yet, but if I do I might actually play as the female PC, cause so much more customisation options. Maybe

For ORAS, def as Brendan, as it will be my main game this gen anyway

I play female first and last run-through, but I like to play a male at least once. I don't feel like I've played out the whole game otherwise.

I only play male in certain versions - FireRed, HeartGold, Platinum and Black 2 - and use the default names for the characters in each. I do the same with the female protagonists in Emerald and Black. In my other games - Sapphire, LeafGreen, SoulSilver, Pearl, White and White 2 - I use my actual gender.

I am re-posting to explain the change in my choice in gender. I always play as the same gender as my step-brother. (Note: I will give you his 3DS friend code soon.)

I am a shallow person and play as the person with the best costume.
Or least ridiculous hat, in Brendan's case.

I'm a gal who prefers to play as the male trainer. It begun in the original Ruby and Sapphire because I can't stand May, not only do I find her unattractive appearance wise but she annoys me. I was however the female the first time I played the Gen I remakes (leaf Green) and actually still have that file.
When Diamond and Pearl came out I started my first game with the female character but then fell back into the trend of preferring the male and ever since have kept it.

On my main version, I always play as a female. If I'm lucky enough to get the counterpart version, I play as a male.

I play as either gender for probably an equal amount of time.

But I usually go though a long and tedious habit of restarting the game after playing around a bit until I finally decide on a Gender and a Name and by the time I'm 3/4 of the way through the game, I realise the horrible mistake I have made.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom