• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Play as the Opposite Gender?

Do you always play as the same gender?

• Yes, I never play as the opposite gender.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • No, I sometimes play as the opposite gender.

Votes: 96 75.0%

• Total voters
In my current playthrough of Pokémon Y, I'm playing as a female character. Why? Because the character customisation has a lot more options.

I just finished playing X as a girl. She was pretty cool and I like her look that put together.

I've considered it, but I ultimately decided against it. There's not really any major differences in the characters, other than the outfits they have (or the clothes they can buy in X/Y), so no reason for me to play a male character when I'm actually a female other than for funsies.

I have friend that plays as the opposite gender, but I myself have never tried it

I used to in Gens 2 and 3 (and in the original Gen 1 games, but to be fair all girls did.) Starting with Crystal I always played as a girl first, then on subsequent playthroughs I'd switch things up and pick the opposite gender. Since Gen 4 I've stuck with the female PCs (lack of interest in restarting due to other games clamoring for my attention.)

I've always played as my own gender in the main games (although I've thought about playing as the opposite gender and I might do that at some point) but in pokémon ranger (the first one) I always choose the female character (Solana).

I'd never picked the female protagonist until Black 2, when I was forced to pick Rosa because Nate looks like a complete tool in that hat. Actually, it's more because he looks too much like Hilbert, but the hat thing doesn't help.

The default look for Calem is also far too similar to Hilbert, but I picked him over Serena because customisation is finally a thing.

Since then, I've played as May in an Emerald re-run. I might play as Dawn or Kris at some point, but I know I'll never play Leaf or Lyra. Not sure about Hilda.

Since I end up playing both versions, I tend to pick a male in one playthrough, and a female in another. I like playing as both. Especially in X/Y, where the trainer customisation was more extensive for the female PC.

Lately I've been playing as the opposite gender much more, maybe because I just like to be hawt.
That's a joke.

I'm only really playing as a girl occasionally (Platinum, Black and Y) since those are the only female designs I really like.

I don't like playing as the opposite gender when I have the option to play as mine. I've been that way for quite some time. Although for reasons I don't understand, my first playthrough of Ruby I played as the guy. I have always played as the girl since.

Since I have gotten into role playing,I've played as the opposite gender on White,Black2 and Y.Though,I'm going back to a girl and being myself in OR,like I did on Fire Emblem:Awakening on my main file.

I usually choose male, but in X, I chose female because I thought the female character looked better than the male. It felt weird at first, but I got used to it. Also don't regret it because the female character is far more customizable.

I pick the male character more often than not, but I picked the female character once.

I usually play as my gender, I feel more comfortable. Also I like more the female characters the male ones usually have a more plain design.

I've only ever gone with the opposite gender once, which was when I played through Platinum as Dawn and made a team similar to hers in the anime. Otherwise, it just feels weird (and even then, I'd always hide the screen from my folks when battles would start, cause I still felt weird about it). I'm considering doing it again though, just for the heck of it.

Pokemon was one of the first games I played with a female character. Now it feels weird to play as male ones in any game.

I played as the opposite gender in the Sinnoh games because I didn't like Lucas' design. I'm probably going to play as a girl when I get Alpha Sapphire.

I play as both but I usually chose the female character first, even though I'm male. Although this gen I played as the male first.

I switch hit, although I usually play as a girl... My first few Emerald playthroughs (including the first one I beat Wallace in) I was always playing as a boy... I'm pretty sure my first time playing as a girl was in Diamond

I have all the Pokemon games, so usually I do one (or two) females to one male per generation/set of games. HGSS and XY are the exceptions. All those trainers are female. But XY is because I needed to have a dark-skinned trainer and a light-skinned one...

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom