• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Play Pokemon (X/Y/OR/AS) in English

in which language have you played 6th gen game

• English

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Spanish

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • French

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • German

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Italian

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Japanese

• Korean

• Total voters

Jyo

"Fun tough work taking care of our Eevees." *Purr*
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone interested, at least I am - in the 6th gen games X/Y/OR/AS - before starting the game we are given the option of choosing to play the game in 7 different languages:
20160120_122417_zpsmkjqfbgx.jpg

I'm one of the few that is interested in languages other than the 2 I already speak (English and Spanish) - of course just for fun. I learned a couple of expressions along the way.

A couple of questions came to mind:
1 - Have you played the game in a language other than yours?
or if you haven't, willing to try a different language?

2 - opinions on the 7 chosen languages

3 - when you play a language, any theme for Player/Pokemon nicknames

4 - would you like this feature to be available in all future generations, again any reason why?

optional:
5 - let's say there was a contest for the next available language(s) being added in the next generation, and a lucky winner was choosen, for this scenario say it was you, if you could add anywhere between 1 and 5 additional languages - which ones would you choose?
any reason?

---to answer my questions---

My first playthrough I played it in English (Y version), after I had completed it I played my X version in Spanish.
By now, after buying multiple copies of X and Y, I tried all the various languages.
Fun and challenging

Fun, kind of disappointed in a few things, at least for me
Spanish was the Iberian dialect and not the Latin American dialect I speak
Japanese, no Kanji, at least in my North American copies of the games don't have them
Korean, needing to know how to read and write it for nicknames or player names

For me it does. I keep a nicknames similar to the language of the game, unless it's English
For example: When I play a game in Spanish, I give my player and Pokemon nicknames a Spanish type name

4 - would you like this feature to be available in all future generations, again any reason why?
I love playing them in variety of ways including language, I hope they keep it in all future generations.
I wish they would add more

optional:
5 - 5 additional languages - which ones would you choose?
any reason?

I really like the 5 Scandinavian languages, even want to learn one of them.
So for me I would love to play the game in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Faroese, and Icelandic.

*searched for something similar, couldn't find one*

Last edited:
Don't have much of a choice as the Dutch language isn't available ;) Even if it was, I would still play it in English as I don't care much for my own language. I'm planning to play in it German sometime, to improve my German language skills a bit.

Like Rockapheller said, these are the most common languages I guess, so probably a good choice.

The nicknames wouldn't change depending on the language I play it in. If I do play it in German, I wouldn't go for German names only.

Yes, mostly because it means the whole of Europe gets the same game and you can switch languages. I once accidentally bought a French Silver on a flee market, would've been nice if it was already possible to switch languages back then as I can't read a word of French D:

I don't have any preferences for aditional languages.

yes. i have played them in Spanish & English.

iirc they are the languages of the primary regions GameFreak releases for. otherwise i don't care.

i use nicknames very rarely. in the case that i do, they're usually history-related.

i don't see why to exclude it, especially if it were to, hypothetically, speed up Western releases.

I've never played in another language. I'm currently learning a bit of German, so maybe one day in the future I'll start a file in German. I tend to be more interested in the names of Pokemon in other languages.

I really like that they did this for the games. Makes it feel like it really is a worldwide thing. Sad that it's just not possible to include each and every language, but they did hit the most common, I'd say.

The language options does raise some questions for me, though. Kalos is based on France. I play it in English, and there are tons of French titles and expressions. So... What happens if you play in French? Would it just feel more like home? Similar thoughts came up when they had the foreign trainers in Unova, I myself being "Unovan."

Played X and OR in Japanese. My first language is Spanish so I guess playing Y and the previous games in English counts?

I think it's fine but I didn't realise that it was Spanish from Spain for that option. Maybe they should put an option for both Spain Spanish and Latinoamerica Spanish? Also I can't remember if it was American or Japanese copy but there is an option for kanji vs no kanji. It's right after language choice.

I've always put nicknames from random languages, although the most common are English and Spanish of course but I don't change it based on the language I'm playing in. Although obviously I put katakana for loan word names when playing in Japanese.

Yes because it's good reading practise.

I was very happy to see they had the game in different languages, not so much when I learned you couldn't change it once you started a file. I wish we had the option of changing it later on. As for answers...

Since English isn't my first language, I guess technically I've played all of them in a language other than my own

I tried playing in Spanish once, but I went back to English because I found the translation unbearable. After 5 generations of playing in English, playing in Spanish felt weird. I don't know if other Spanish-speaking players have this same issue but I felt the translation was weird, sort of unnatural, I don't know how to describe it. And since I'm too used to the names of moves and abilities in English, I had to constantly look them up to see what they were. Same with the French version, I was so used to the English names that trying to re-learn the names of Pokemon, moves and abilities was too much.
fun fact- the Spanish version keeps all the Pokemon's English names, the French one doesn't. That gave me a headache.

I don't understand why they chose Italian over Portuguese, I mean there are more native Portuguese speakers than Italian. Or are videogames not a thing in places like Brazil? Other than that they chose the most common American/European/Asian languages.

I don't nickname my Pokemon.

I really don't see why they would take it away. Not everyone in the world speaks English/Japanese and I do know some people prefer to play games in their language. But I do hope in the future we will have the option of changing languages through the game.

optional:
5 - let's say there was a contest for the next available language(s) being added in the next generation, and a lucky winner was choosen, for this scenario say it was you, if you could add anywhere between 1 and 5 additional languages - which ones would you choose?
any reason? Portuguese (I still don't know why it's not in the games but I digress) maybe Russian? or Chinese? I don't know, probably the countries where those languages are spoken don't have a large videogame market. I just find it odd that they weren't included, a lot of people worldwide have those as their first language.

yes, in english. my mother language is spanish. but I enjoy playing it in english

I think it's cool. and an open window for people who want to play it in other languages even they buy it in other country

at the beginning I didn't like put nicknames. but I started to nick them a few years ago. and i like it. then I don't remember the real names XD

yeahhh. I remind everyone who is learning a new language to try to play in other languages! it's fun and a way to motivate yourself

1. Never, and I couldn't even dare to play it like that due to my lack of language skills.

2. They're good actually. Except I wish for more (say 3-4 languages)

3. IDK, mostly I never change it anyway.

4. Yes, it helps people who doesn't use English as his/her first language.

1/ I've played all of my physical cartdridges in french, and I'm not going back unless it's a cartdridge with only one language set. Then it's gonna be English.

2/ It's nice to have the option, even if you can't change it later on unless you restart.

3/ Nope, I just go with whatever names is fitting for me. =p

4/ If it helps people learning other languages, I'd be happy to see that. But I can do without to be honest.

1. Usually have been playing in my native language English and have started on my second language Spanish.

2. Would like it if Spanish used its own Pokémon names, very few of the English ones translate well into Spanish.

3. Don't usually nickname Pokémon unless I have a brilliant theme, so no.

4. Yes, it helps me learn languages.

5. Portuguese, Dutch, Irish, Danish, and Lenape. First two since then all the official languages in the Americas would be included. Third one is since I'm from Coal Region PA where there is a lot of Irish heritage. Fourth one is since Denmark is a cool cat country. And fifth because why the hell not, it would be cool to play Pokémon in an obscure Native American language that was used by the first people to inhabit Coal Region PA.

I got used to this after a while heh :/ and not only in Pokémon.

Nope, I played both Y and OR in spanish for convenience sake.
And I wouldn't mind doing it in a second playthrough, but since I am not willing to restart my saves I never did it.

Nothing much to say but that they are between the most spoken/known languges to get a wider audience, didn't like much the spanish they used. And I am sure they are gonna bring more languages, in fact Sun and Moon was revealed to bring traditional and simplified chinese.

Name is my real one or a username related. I always put nicknames to my pokés, but they are connected to randoms ideas and not a particular theme.

I am really happy I am given the choice of language, after the region lock I was forced to play White/White2 in english and I thought it'd be like that from there on. So definitely yes, the more languages the better to reach more people.

any reason?
Russian, I love the language and languages with diferent alphabets are really cool.

Nope.

Not really. I'm only fluent in English, and even after having already played the games before, I'd probably still get lost somehow if played in another language:/

Good, I'd say. Nice to have such a large variety.

Only ever played in English, but if I did another language I guess the names would change to reflect that.

Yes, because it's nice to have the option to play in another language if you want to, without necessary getting a specific version (like buying a French copy to play in French).

Remember, if you aren't sure what to do, ask for help setting the language.

1. No, I've only played in English, although I've considered testing my Spanish by playing through that.
2. I don't have an opinion on each language specifically, but I do think it's cool for people to decide what language they want to use.
3. Even if I played in another language, I'd probably be lame and just use Jacen.
4. Yes, as I said, it's cool to have different languages to choose from.

Fun, kind of disappointed in a few things, at least for me
Japanese, no Kanji, at least in my North American copies of the games don't have them
Korean, needing to know how to read and write it for nicknames or player names

optional:
5 - 5 additional languages - which ones would you choose?
any reason?

I really like the 5 Scandinavian languages, even want to learn one of them.
So for me I would love to play the game in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Faroese, and Icelandic.

*searched for something similar, couldn't find one*
about what you said about the latin american... that it happen as well with the new games?
what about in english?

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom