• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Playable characters' personalities?

MissingNo. 1

Reaction score
So far, the only scoop of a playable character's personality we got was Red's. We know that Red is a quiet young man who only responds with "yes" and "no" and he is obviously not afraid to just walk into a crime organization's hideout because he knows that he needs to save the day. And based on the same dialogue that Blue gives to Leaf (if she was chosen in the remakes), we can assume that she's similar to Red. However, have any of us received any insight on what the other playable characters are like? We know nothing about Ethan, Kris and Lyra. They might be like Red since they never talk either but then again all playable characters are like that. Also, some of the Kanto characters mention that they remind them of Red from three years ago, which could hint that they too are silent protagonists with no clear personality. Brendan/May, on the other hand, may be different because we see what they are like when they are not the playable characters. But then again, it is possible that their personalities shift depending on whether they are the playable character or not. So does anyone have any theories or proof that back up a playable character's personality?

It's mostly fanon. Red's lack of dialogue and the fact that he stands alone on top of a mountain in the Johto games have made many fans portray him as an untalkative stoic.

Some of the player characters' personalities are interpreted by their looks. I've read that many fans think that Hilbert is a generally nice guy while Hilda is a tough, mature tomboy. Don't know much about the others, though.

Red didn't seem all that quiet until GSC/HGSS, Blue in FR/LG said he was a chatty gossip, and he did seem a bit talkative as evidenced by Copycat girl.

Blue in FR/LG said he was a chatty gossip
Actually, this is what makes me think of him being quieter.

We all know how Blue is, so I figure Red could be contrast to him, being quieter and more reserved.

Not super-mute stoic like in some fanart, but certainly not a person who talks much. The waiter does call him "strong and silent" and I doubt he's being anything but sincere with that. Blue on the other hand messes around pretty often, so calling him a "chatty gossip" to me seems more fitting sarcastically.

Not being too outspoken and valuing bonding through actions seems fitting too with him being closer to Pokémon in general than Blue. But again, not to the extreme seen in fanart. Just enough to make Blue the popular jock full of himself and Red the quieter underdog.

HAHA from day one when I first battled him in Gold, I kind of had this headcanon that Red is silent and hiding on Mt. Silver because he is traumatized from of all the glitches we put him though. That aside, I think I agree with that idea about Hilbert and Hilda. Hilbert seems quite a bit more laid back to me.

Well, the player's character doesn't actually have a personality. They're suppose to be you. That's why they barely ever talk.

Blue in FR/LG said he was a chatty gossip
Actually, this is what makes me think of him being quieter.

We all know how Blue is, so I figure Red could be contrast to him, being quieter and more reserved.

Not super-mute stoic like in some fanart, but certainly not a person who talks much. The waiter does call him "strong and silent" and I doubt he's being anything but sincere with that. Blue on the other hand messes around pretty often, so calling him a "chatty gossip" to me seems more fitting sarcastically.

Not being too outspoken and valuing bonding through actions seems fitting too with him being closer to Pokémon in general than Blue. But again, not to the extreme seen in fanart. Just enough to make Blue the popular jock full of himself and Red the quieter underdog.

Agreed.

As for the other characters, I have some rather intricate headcanons (I might actually start a topic for discussion of player character headcanons).

Red is hotblooded. He was shown in those comics that Bulbagarden seem to have removed from the archives recently and in the manual indicates as such when Red "gets excited because you are a curious boy." Leaf can probably share her role with Blue from those comics I mentioned before, a calm and looks like polite girl, not sure as I don't read Japanese.

Ethan can be seen in HGSS if you don't play as him, same as Lyra.

Brendan and May also have personalities seen when you don't play as them. Brendan has a bit of an ego, but is genuinely kind and determined in his goal, May is shy and nervous, tendency to forget but outgoing and excitable, an odd combonation.

Lucas and Dawn are a bit different. Lucas appears to be a thinker, but only after he's accomplished the task he thinks about. Dawn, meanwhile, is friendly and protective of peers and Pokémon, moreso then Lucas since she doesn't even want to think about fighting the player, but would if he wasn't kind to the creatures.

That's the first four, I do doubt I need to expand on the Gen V protagonists given their recent appearances. So I'll just leave this here.

No no no, see, you guys are missing the point.
Player characters a blank slate for whatever you want. They're all emotionless, motivationless, lifeless until you project onto them. The manga counterparts are simply interpretations, and same goes for the anime. They have no personality.

No no no, see, you guys are missing the point.
Player characters a blank slate for whatever you want. They're all emotionless, motivationless, lifeless until you project onto them. The manga counterparts are simply interpretations, and same goes for the anime. They have no personality.
Actually, they do drop hints that indicate the PC has a personality of their own, they just remain quiet to give said illusion you're pointing out. So we're both right, they have a canon personality, but they're also whatever we project onto them :L

I hate when people say silent protagonist = no personality, as if personality can only be determined by dialogue. :rolleyes:

Aye, plus it's more fun to look for the hints then it is to be outright told =P Then again, I'm a bit of an amateur psychologist, so that might just be me |D

Okay I'll just list out my theories that are based on how they act when they are NPC's and how they look on official art.
Red - He's not really much of a talker but he is still hot-blooded and adventurous and he is willing to put himself in danger if it involves saving the day.
Leaf - She too is adventurous and hot-blooded but she has a cheerful personality, is caring and willing to make friends (which explains why she puts up with Blue).
Ethan - He's helpful, adventurous and nurturing if the time calls for it.
Lyra - Pretty much the same as Ethan (they have the same dialogue if they're NPC's so don't really know how to differentiate them).
Brendan - He's kinda egotistical and a bit of a sexist (as an NPC he assumed that May was a boy before meeting her because she was a Gym Leader's kid and even says it out loud) but overall he's a friendly person who is willing to help).
May - She's a shy but kind person who is eager to help out others when the time comes.
(I'll do the rest later)

This is how I see them in canon:

Red - a stoic guy.
Leaf - not much I can say
Ethan - a good advice-giver
Lyra - ditto
Brendan - a good guy overall, but can be a little bit of a jerk.
May - a tomboy who is friendly and very competitive
Lucas - not much I can say
Dawn - a girly girl (in contrast to May) who is quite friendly
Hilbert - a laid-back kind of guy who doesn't worry too much
Hilda - a hot-blooded girl
Nate - not much I can say
Rosa - ditto.

I do think they leave a lot open to interpretation, though. That's why it's easy to use them in fanfics.

Some of the player characters' personalities are interpreted by their looks. I've read that many fans think that Hilbert is a generally nice guy while Hilda is a tough, mature tomboy. Don't know much about the others, though.

Funny you should mention that actually- there's a magazine page kicking around somewhere about Hilbert and Hilda that describes him as seeming cool and mature, and her as appearing tough and cheerful (or something to that effect). It's not so much meant to be their canon personalities as it is what their appearances invoke, but it's still kinda interesting. Want me to go find it?

What, no love for Wes and Michael? Can't say much about the latter, having not played his game, but of the former, I can tell you he's got a lot of balls—he betrayed his organization, stole their secret weapon and blew up their base. Without anyone having time to react. Clearly, this guy's been planning this for a while, so it's obvious he's got some brains, and perhaps a certain flair for the theatrical.

Hilbert seems a lazy, laid back guy
Hilda a tomboy.
May is caring and shy
Brendam is a nerd
Red is stoic
Leaf seems to be a virginal girl
Serena is the hot outgoing neighbor
Calem is a serious guy
Ethan is the cool guy
Lyra is a redneck, she dream to move from New Bark
Dawn is prissy and bossy
Lucas is a spoiled brat, he speak and dress like his grandpa
Rosa is adventurous sportwoman
Nate is airheaded and hyperactive

Most of the player characters' personalities are usually implied from their NPC portrayals, their appearance, or their body language. This is what I think each character is like:

Red: Stoic, serious, barely says anything
Leaf: Similar personality to Red, although she always seems to wear a smile on her face
Ethan/Lyra: Pretty dang energetic since they're always running around with their Marrill.
Brendan: In RSE, he's a bit of a jerk/tsundere who ends up being humbled by May. In ORAS, he's a lot friendlier and sillier and is implied to have a crush on May.
May: Upbeat and cheerful while also being silly, especially in ORAS where she fist pumps and stuff.
Lucas: The nerdy one of the male protagonists
Dawn: The girliest of the female protagonists. She is also quite upbeat. Not even battling Team Galactic gets her down.
Hilbert: Calm and calculating in battle. Contrast his VS sprite and this piece of Battle Subway artwork with Hilda's more energetic expressions.
Hilda: ...Everyone else already beat me to it.
Calem: The dapper as hell bishonen. Tends to stay cool and classy.
Serena: Elegant fashion plate on the outside, burning determination to become a top-tier trainer on the inside

Red: lonely, stoic, melancholic
Leaf: A friendly female version of Red, still a quiet and shy girl
Ethan: adventurous, sympathetic, talkative
Lyra: clumsy, talkative, exaggerated
Brendan: A jerk, but in the end of the day, a nice guy
May: Kind, spontaneous and jolly
Lucas: philosophical, calm, focused
Dawn: polite, gentle, prone to help
Hilbert: Cool american boy
Hilda: headstrong, rebel, choleric
Rosa: dreamer, naive, girly, want to be famous
Nate: hyperactive and impulsive
Calem: classy, elitist, au courant and elegant
Serena: cult, stilish, determined, competitive

GSC ruined my interpretation of Red. In hindsight, I can sort of understand why they included him in the Generation II games as the last, awesomest, bestest battle because they intended these games to be a direct sequel to the Gen I games, but other player characters were never given this treatment and since the series has gone on for so long, I doubt it'll ever happen. I can't play the original games or even FR/LG without thinking he'll eventually become the loner sourpuss seen in GSC/HGSS.

I don't have headcanon personalities for the other playable characters. I pretty much just put myself in their shoes. =3

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom