• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Player Characters Discussion

yeah, these are a giant miss. too young, off-putting features, and negative drip.

you remember when GF straight-up gave us a pair of protags who could legally drive a car in gen 6? that was wild looking back.

I don't like the trainers (and by extension other humans) in this game for one simple reason: Them having actual 3D noses instead of the usual just, line. For some reason that single feature makes the models just... not feel like Pokemon human models anymore. Or just Pokemon humans in general, makes them feel a tad... generic?

I've never heard of Pokemon player characters looking too young until now. Any way they look a bit generic to me and I'll be hitting a clothes shop at the first opportunity.

I really hope they go more gender neutral with the characters. The 8 options at the beginning of like every game for the last 10 years was outdated THEN. The singular “they” is used in so many games, why does a “which one looks like you” with 4 skin tone options also lock you into a he or she for all dialogue, and lock out half the clothing options?

I’m HOPING that the unisex uniforms means we may finally see this, but I’m not holding my breath. Literally the first thing Prof Laventon said to me was call me a boy, in the game that released last month, just because I chose the short haired picture, so I doubt much will change.

I said this elsewhere but, as much as it all being Gender Neutral would be great. My expectations say otherwise, which is why i hope it isn't all gender neutral clothes just because, as great as it would be, i don't expect gamefreak would let the more masculine character wear things like skirts or stockings, which means if all clothes were for both genders the game wouldn't have any of those as clothing options. Along with any other clothes that would be "too feminine". Which i'm not the biggest fan of.

There's discorse? I mean their ages are probably anywhere between 10 (Gen 1) and 15 (Gen 5/Legends) so looking young is par for the course.

Do they want adult protags or something?
The Gen VI Protagonist is stated to be older than Emma, who is seventeen. I think that’s the oldest we’ve ever gone in the main series. Gen V Protagonists were 14.

As for my thoughts on the designs…I’m really not a fan either :/
I think the concept of the uniform is interesting - especially the colour changing - but I’m really not a fan of shorts, and the characters themselves do look…kind of bland. I do hope customisation works like SwSh rather than BDSP or PLA, as a result. BDSP’s styles weren’t awful - not even really bad, just limiting - but I hated not getting to wear anything cute and high-femme in PLA and am hoping it was just to keep the options period-accurate.

After a few days i've come to be fine with the protag's designs. They are in the same group as SM/USUM for me where they aren't great or interesting but they aren't bad either.
This is just from a design and art standpoint though, i still can't stand the models.

Not a big fan of the male character design for now (though I didn't really like them for several generations by now), but the worst flaw to me has always been the limitation in terms of hair style (there is no reason to not allow my character to have a hair length like the female - especially since my hair is actually longer than the average girl/woman that I pass by on the street). If I should really buy the game I'm seriously considering to choose the female protagonist this time.

They would have to completely change the human models faces, i think its safe to say that part is final
The 2D art of them is definitely final, but I hope they work on the shaking of the faces and stuff because… I like the 2D art for sure, but they look creepy in this beta footage.

BDSP showed us just how dramatically the shading can change during production, so I am hopeful.

The 2D art of them is definitely final, but I hope they work on the shaking of the faces and stuff because… I like the 2D art for sure, but they look creepy in this beta footage.

BDSP showed us just how dramatically the shading can change during production, so I am hopeful.
This is where I’m at too. I’m warming up to the 2D art, but the 3D models have some kind of weird thing going on with their nose and cheeks. It reminds me of either a porcelain doll or the episode of Jimmy Neutron where everybody had the sick patch.

Yeah I hope that when we start the game we get to choose skin tone, hair color, and eye color separately. And I really hope the not-changing your character picture on what is basically your ID card does not stay at what you chose at the start like it did in Legends Arceus. My girl had cute shorter red hair and bright green eyes at the end of it and every time I went to save it was jarring to see her original look. They gave us the option to change our look immediately there. I have been spoiled. I want this again.

OH MAN I JUST REALIZED AND NEED TO ADD:
Give me a Flamenco dress, Gamefreak. I have never wanted anything more in this moment than defending my champion position in a badass flamenco dress.

Last edited:
I hope that none of the other humans we will see in the game will have this kind of face, or at least teenage and adult humans not having these faces. I couldn't care less about the uniforms or hairstyle, since those can be changed. But I'm just not a fan of how these protagonists look.

I think with how generic these protags look, that we'll get full character creation options at the start of the game. Or rather, I hope that, lol.

I hope that none of the other humans we will see in the game will have this kind of face, or at least teenage and adult humans not having these faces. I couldn't care less about the uniforms or hairstyle, since those can be changed. But I'm just not a fan of how these protagonists look.
Sadly, the NPCs had this face. It looks like they handed off human character designs to the person who did the character designs for Detective Pikachu.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom