• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Please explain to me why...

I guess just to make it good against something other than grass.

But if you wanted to get all serious about it, then you could say that bugs fly around in the dark just as much or more than in the day, or at least stuff like moths do. And maybe their underdeveloped brains aren't easily manipulated so that would explain why it's strong against psycic.

But to be honest I doubt either of these theories are true.

Typings just work out that way.

Why does Dark not effect Psychic at all? It just works out that way.

-Bugs bother you, so they interfere with Psychic's concentration.

-Bugs like the dark and shade and stuff.

But most of all, those two needed a second weakness.

-Bugs bother you, so they interfere with Psychic's concentration.

That's what I figured as well. If nothing else, it gives it some kind of reason other than it just being arbitrary for the sake of game mechanics.

Dark's strengths and weaknesses are dodgy no matter how you try to work it out. "Dark" being such an abstract concept, not a "physical" thing with obvious weaknesses like the Fire or Grass types. The same could be said for the Dragon type, really.

Hell, if you wanted to get really logical, it should be weak to Fire if anything, it being a light source and all...

To build upon the 'interfering with concentration' theory, I think that the Bug type (and, while we're at it, the Dark type) represent types of common fear. If you're brain's overloaded with fear, rational or otherwise, it can't function psychically at all. At least, that's my take on it.

I was about to joke that Psychics fear pesky bugs but Kibago-Mayfan's reason works. And of course, I just figured that bugs love the dark. I think a better question is why is Dark stong against Ghost when the same logic for bugs can be applied? Even moreso for than in fact since they "hide in the shadows" as it goes.

-Bugs like the dark and shade and stuff.

But most of all, those two needed a second weakness.
Well, since maybe gen II Psychic's been weak against ghost (IMO it could and probably should work both ways or the other way. A ghost could possess a medium, but a ghost can be exorcised by a psychic), but I hadn't even thought about bugs liking darkness, that's true.

I thought the reason was like Jabberwocky: Circular strength/weakness -

Fighting < Psychic < Dark < Bug, repeat.

That's what I figured as well. If nothing else, it gives it some kind of reason other than it just being arbitrary for the sake of game mechanics.

Dark's strengths and weaknesses are dodgy no matter how you try to work it out. "Dark" being such an abstract concept, not a "physical" thing with obvious weaknesses like the Fire or Grass types. The same could be said for the Dragon type, really.

Hell, if you wanted to get really logical, it should be weak to Fire if anything, it being a light source and all...

it's an even more abstract concept when you consider its Japanese name: "Evil-type" (Aku-taipu). As such, it wouldn't be weak to light sources, though it certainly is an odd concept to consider for a typing considering all Pokemon, which usually obey human trainers, are capable of being either good or bad (or that shade of gray). Though, the name certainly seems to fit the majority of attacks associated with the type, considering they focus mainly on mischief and underhanded trickery, with Dark Pulse (which also had its name changed from Evil Pulse/Aku no Hadou in the Japanese version), and now Night Burst, being about the only "elemental" sort of attack there is.

I think Bugs are strong agaisnt Psychic because their brains are not wired like the ones of other Pokémon- Bugs probably have a hivemind of sorts that the Psychic can't screw with.

And somehow I doubt the Dark type's cheap tricks work agaisnt something that operates on a hivemind level either.

Because bugs are stupid, and don't have to worry about that kind of supernatural stuff...

I think Bugs are strong agaisnt Psychic because their brains are not wired like the ones of other Pokémon- Bugs probably have a hivemind of sorts that the Psychic can't screw with.

Apart from the common fears assessment (which is brilliant), this is my favorite theory =D

--"What Is" Jack

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom