• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Please Help! How to catch Snorlax in Fire Red?

megabouncer

Reaction score
Please Help! How to catch Snorlax in Fire Red?
I already have the flute and am standing in front of Snorlax RIGHT NOW. I have 14 Great Balls and 3 Pokeballs, and have a Hotmonchan that knows Sky Uppercut. It shouldnt kill the Snorlax. (level 34) and a Pikachu that can paralyze the Snorlax (level 35) and a Gloom (lvl 33) that canmake it go to sleep. I tried catching it but ended up with no ballz or just killing the Snorlax. Anyway i dont like low IV Snorlaxes so i might not take the first few. sny tips on how to catch it? I tried tapping 'A' and rolling the control pad on my DS clockwise, but all it did was help make the Great Ball shake and not catch the Snorlax. Help?

1. Buy more Balls.
2. Buy more Balls.
3. Rotating the D-pad, holding A, B, L, R, Start, Select, or anything doesn't help you catch anything. Neither does going up to the truck with Strength. Never has. Never will.
4. Level up.
5. Buy more Balls.
6. Do not pluralize with z lest you look dumb.
7. The game's name is FireRed, not Firered or Fire Red. One word, CamelCase.
8. Buy more Balls.
9. ?????
10. PROFIT!

Have fun with the Snorlax. And remember, there IS another one, if you really want one with good IVs. Just come back later to get the one on the other side with Ultra Balls, Repeat Balls, and the like. Yes you can get those in FRLG.

Actually, to me it seems like if you spam A DOWN can increase your chances of catching.

The catching formula is:

Bulbapedia said:
is thrown at a wild Pokémon, the game uses a formula based on the wild Pokémon's current health, any status effect it may have, and that Pokémon's catch rate, to determine the chances of catching that Pokémon. The formula is as follows:

Catch_formula_1.png

Where

* HPmax is the number of hit points the Pokémon has at full health,
* HPcurrent is the number of hit points the Pokémon has at the moment,
* rate is the catch rate of the Pokémon,
* bonusball is the multiplier for the Poké Ball used, and
* bonusstatus is the multiplier for any status ailment the Pokémon has (2 for sleep and freeze, 1.5 for paralyze, poison and burn).

Given this formula, the maximum value for a (if the Pokémon could have 0 HP) would be catch rate * bonusball * bonusstatus. The minimum value for a (for a Pokémon with full health) would be 1/3 * catch rate.

If a is greater than or equal to 255, then the Pokémon is caught. If not, then calculate b as follows:

Catch_formula_2.png

Then generate 4 random numbers between 0 and 65535, inclusive. If the random numbers are all less or equal to than b, then the Pokémon is caught; otherwise the ball shakes n times, where n is the number of random numbers that are less than b. Note that b ≥ 65535 if a ≥ 255.

Seems like spamming A DOWN will decrease the chances of having the random numbers from being over 'b'.

Yes, I spammed A DOWN and caught Mesprit.

And pressing A DOWN makes the ball shake more times.

I've always heard up + B, but that just proves even more that it's always been a myth. There is no secret "Master Ball transformation" code.

I always just pressed B as fast as I could. I still do it out of superstition, even though I know it doesn't work. I've gotten so good at it, I often get shocked looks at just how fast I can press it. It sounds like machine-gun fire 8D

The only game I've known it to work on is Red and Blue, seeing as I caught a Mewtwo plus other pokémon with the same tactic.

thas all bull man jst go buy ultraballs more pricey but better quality by the end youll agree, save rite infront of him, play flute, and hurt him till he falls asleep, then hit him once or twice depending on the stregth of your pokemon and ball him, dont go more than five balls if you do just restart

Haha, just KO one of the Snorlaxes(preferably the one not on Cycling Road), and then wait till you get a Pokemon that is above Lvl.60, teach it False Swipe and bring your bottomless bag of Ultra Balls.

Seriously, if you're having problems with this, you are gonna shoot yourself when you try to capture Mewtwo.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom