• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Please rate my team!

ShyOctopus

Probably pixelling.
Reaction score
Heyo! I recently became an apprentice, and thus am very new to competitive battling. I was given homework and it was to post the team I used today!

Edit March 14, 2014: Changed up a couple of things!

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch

Gardevoir @ Life Orb
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Destiny Bond

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Thunder Fang
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Last edited:
Not necessarily critical, but: Is there a reason you went for Donphan over Excadrill?

Well 1st thing comes to mind after seeing the team is that you got no sweepers and that you got all walls or tanks.
If that D-Knight and Scizor is gone, then your screwed. And you shouldn't use Gardevoir w/o its Mega Stone. Pixelated Hyper Voice is nothing to be laughed at, especially w/ a 165 Base Special Attack.
Some other problems are your move sets and EV Spread. You should stick w/ a pokemon being a Physical Attacker or a Special Attacker. And same goes w/ the Tanks. Is it a Physical Wall or a Special Wall?
I'm only gana suggest 1 set becuase, ya know, I gatta let the guy do his homework rite? xD Lol, Good ol' Days~

Support
Umbreon @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish
Ev's: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpD
~Foul Play ~Wish ~Protect ~Heal Bell

of course, you can switch the Nature and EV's around to make it a Special Wall or you can use that set and keep it as a Physical Wall. See what i'm getting at~?

Two things

Bug Buzz? Ok I get that you most likely want to be able to be useful if burnt but surely Bug Bite is a better option (though move difficult to obtain this gen).

Three leftovers that is difficult to obtain.

Two things

Bug Buzz? Ok I get that you most likely want to be able to be useful if burnt but surely Bug Bite is a better option (though move difficult to obtain this gen).

Three leftovers that is difficult to obtain.

Def agree on the three leftovers, I was thinking of changing that. But we started with Pokemon Showdown so it wasn't that big a deal.

Not necessarily critical, but: Is there a reason you went for Donphan over Excadrill?

Not particularly, just liked Donphan.

Replace Bug Buzz with U-Turn on Scizor and it looks alright.

That's two different moves suggested to replace Bug Buzz! I think I like U turn better, but still confused.

Well 1st thing comes to mind after seeing the team is that you got no sweepers and that you got all walls or tanks.
If that D-Knight and Scizor is gone, then your screwed. And you shouldn't use Gardevoir w/o its Mega Stone. Pixelated Hyper Voice is nothing to be laughed at, especially w/ a 165 Base Special Attack.
Some other problems are your move sets and EV Spread. You should stick w/ a pokemon being a Physical Attacker or a Special Attacker. And same goes w/ the Tanks. Is it a Physical Wall or a Special Wall?
I'm only gana suggest 1 set becuase, ya know, I gatta let the guy do his homework rite? xD Lol, Good ol' Days~

Support
Umbreon @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish
Ev's: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpD
~Foul Play ~Wish ~Protect ~Heal Bell

of course, you can switch the Nature and EV's around to make it a Special Wall or you can use that set and keep it as a Physical Wall. See what i'm getting at~?

I did feel like it was missing sweepers but I'm still hella new so what do I know. I'll see what I can come up with!

Thank you all for your crit! I appreciate it.

Why did you invest fully in Dragonite's SAtk when all it's moves are physical?

I said go for 252 Spe on Dragpnite. You must of misunderstood me. Same thing with bug buzz. While you could go with u turn I'd say stick with bug bite.

I decided to switch up some move sets from gen 5 when I was helping build the team. We don't really have easy access to gen five move tutor moves which is why Umbreon doesn't have foul play.

Uturn is poor on a defensive boosting set. No point SDancing if your going to uturn out. Plus being slow (no spd invs) means you'd take that fire hit you'd prefer to swop and avoid anyway. Go bug bite as it gets tech boosted to be more damage and removes berries.

I said go for 252 Spe on Dragpnite. You must of misunderstood me. Same thing with bug buzz. While you could go with u turn I'd say stick with bug bite.

I decided to switch up some move sets from gen 5 when I was helping build the team. We don't really have easy access to gen five move tutor moves which is why Umbreon doesn't have foul play.

I'm a goofball so I may have misunderstood you, but I'm wondering if I just messed up putting EVs in. The site was pretty laggy yesterday. It's fixed now, but still, my bad. Still got to learn my abbreviations, ahahaha.

Uturn is poor on a defensive boosting set. No point SDancing if your going to uturn out. Plus being slow (no spd invs) means you'd take that fire hit you'd prefer to swop and avoid anyway. Go bug bite as it gets tech boosted to be more damage and removes berries.

Talked it over with my mentor and we changed Bug Buzz to Bug Bite!

Based on the (you aint getting 3 leftovers in xy arguement) how about tentacruel instead of jellicent. Is equally annoying to fight and uses black sludge which easy to obtain.

Based on the (you aint getting 3 leftovers in xy arguement) how about tentacruel instead of jellicent. Is equally annoying to fight and uses black sludge which easy to obtain.

The reason we used Jellicent over Tentacreul has to do with me giving her as much resistances as possible. Water absorb on Jellicent is pretty nice as it helps Donphan. I think Tentacruel is worth a try though. He seems pretty legit and it would take the strain of three leftovers off as you said.

Go liquid ooze ability with assault vest with knock off, scald, rapid spin and sludge bomb/ice beam.

Nothing would be happy switching into or fighting that.

Also I would do what was mentioned earlier and swap Donphan to a Scarf Excadrill with Mold Breaker. One of the best Spinners in the game. You could also do Air Balloon over Scarf as well to prevent Spikes damage.

Go liquid ooze ability with assault vest with knock off, scald, rapid spin and sludge bomb/ice beam.

Nothing would be happy switching into or fighting that.

I like that set idea quite a bit, but that would negate Umbreon being a specially defensive wall.

Also I would do what was mentioned earlier and swap Donphan to a Scarf Excadrill with Mold Breaker. One of the best Spinners in the game. You could also do Air Balloon over Scarf as well to prevent Spikes damage.

If we decide to do Tentacreul that would clear up a spinner, so I'd like to slap a sweeper on her team instead.

If we decide to do Tentacreul that would clear up a spinner, so I'd like to slap a sweeper on her team instead.

Scarf Exca is also a great sweeper. Iron Head / EQ / Shadow Claw / Rock Slide.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom