• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Plot Bunny Zoo

Hi! I'm here to bounce a couple of story ideas off of you guys. So here's the idea: in a world where Lysander is a little more low key about his evil and sycamore is a little less oblivious about it sycamore is working behind the scenes to take down Lysander. This includes putting together a secret task force to help take down Team Flare. And he doesn't need permission from the Kalos government to do this because he has Interpol permission. Anyway the main character is part of this task force. (The main character of the fanfic I mean. Not the main character of X and Y.) and they help take out Lysander. And the main characters of the game are still around but are mostly out of focus.
I really like this idea.

Last edited:
Something I've been playing with for a long time now, something that was originally going to be part of a Long Walk spinoff story named Kings of the River. As most of the story would have taken place in Mulberry Town, I was going to play around with some British working-class stereotypes. One idea I had was that Townie men would actually have a culture of cooking (Playing with the stereotype that working-class men only cook when there's a barbecue present). There was going to be a scene with a bunch of twenty-something Townie men arguing over marinades in much the same way as they might stereotypically argue over cars or sports or something.

I still have a fondness for the idea, but I've struggled to really find a place for it elsewhere and I don't know whether it's really funny enough to be worth the effort.

I feel like I mentioned this a while ago, but the base concept is that the Heroes and Villains switch places, but not ability.

In other words, these faceless figures manage to take control of immensely powerful cosmic horror like creatures and with a team behind them, take over regions of the world leading to a global dystopian, war state with all these god-like 'teams' battling for control of the planet.
A few youngsters manage to break away and find themselves taking command of smaller, weaker creatures in order to try and take down the state themselves. However, they are always destined to lose, it's a pointless quest, with most of them ending up insane, dead or both by the end of their arcs.

I'm in both a Sonic the Hedgehog mood AND a Greek Mythology mood.

Should I write a story combining the two? (like Secret Rings or the Black Knight, only with Greek mythology). I could totally imagine Eggman as Chiron for some reason, and Knuckles as Heracles (for the obvious reasons). However, this idea will feature the gods of Olympus, but they won't be Sonic-ified. Sonic's friends will be various heroes instead.

I'm in both a Sonic the Hedgehog mood AND a Greek Mythology mood.

Should I write a story combining the two? (like Secret Rings or the Black Knight, only with Greek mythology). I could totally imagine Eggman as Chiron for some reason, and Knuckles as Heracles (for the obvious reasons). However, this idea will feature the gods of Olympus, but they won't be Sonic-ified. Sonic's friends will be various heroes instead.
I think the idea has potential. I am not sure what sort of mix of humans and gods and Sonic characters you are thinking of, but if you are committed to both than the idea should work :)

Okay, I’m toying with writing a story about a guy who somehow gets sucked into an ultra wormhole when he’s young, and ends up spending a few years living with one of the Ultra Beasts until the wormhole opens up again and spits him back out alongside the Ultra Beast he’s befriended. The UB ends up confused by the strange new world and is frightened and panicky, and the main character has to deal not only with calming it down, but helping it adapt to Alola and help Alola accept it, all while readjusting to the world that he used to live in.

Okay, I’m toying with writing a story about a guy who somehow gets sucked into an ultra wormhole when he’s young, and ends up spending a few years living with one of the Ultra Beasts until the wormhole opens up again and spits him back out alongside the Ultra Beast he’s befriended. The UB ends up confused by the strange new world and is frightened and panicky, and the main character has to deal not only with calming it down, but helping it adapt to Alola and help Alola accept it, all while readjusting to the world that he used to live in.

Did you need help with any particular part of the plot or whatnot? I was actually thinking today that I’ve still not seen many Alola or Ultra Beast fics yet so I’d be excited to see this in action!

Last edited:
Did you need help with any particular part of the plot or whatnot? I was actually thinking today that I’ve still not seen many Alola or Ultra Beast fics yet so I’d be excited to see this in action!
I was just seeing what y’all thought of the idea. I’ve really been wanting to write the Ultra Beasts as something other than an antagonist, because I haven’t seen it happen yet

Fascinating. I would definitely read this.

I was just seeing what y’all thought of the idea. I’ve really been wanting to write the Ultra Beasts as something other than an antagonist, because I haven’t seen it happen yet

You could potentially include the Faller canon idea somehow, a concept I personally find has a ton of potential for fanfiction. I'd do a fic on one myself if I wasn't already tackling three. : ' )

I have an idea for a story set in a fantasy world superficially similar to our own called EverBright, and I can think of characters and worldbuilding, but not a conflict. My idea is that Team Protagonist start off with a simple goal, then along the way they discover hints at the world's past, and ultimately discover the vile villain of this saccharine "show". I don't want it to be too complicated, though.

The protagonist, Estelle, is a mischievous flying-squirrel-alike (a glylla) who had no intention of leaving her home forest until something went awry and she decided to sort it out herself, and the deuteragonist, Torbey, is a shy phoenix/bird-of-prey (a bonflyer) who turns out to have been exiled from the shiny city on the other side of the land. He feels indebted to Estelle because she saved his life.

By the way, is it obvious that Torbey should be pronounced "tor-bee"?

By the way, is it obvious that Torbey should be pronounced "tor-bee"?

i wouldn't say obvious, i did read it that way first but then i immediately read it "tor-bay" in my head. i think this is where british/american differences might factor in. "Torbee" would make the pronunciation obvious, but i don't know if that really sounds like a real name anymore.

also i'm not very keen on mid-word capitalization in place names as that happens practically nowhere irl outside product names, should just call it Everbright imo.

It was originally spelled "Torby", but I thought people would pronounce it as "tor-bye" (same with "Torbie"), and "Torbee" reminds me of eusocial insects of the family Apidae. My logic was that "ey" at the end of a name is pronounced "ee", like Weasley, or Siddeley, or Grimsley.

...i don't really see that, to me Torby is way more obviously tor-bee than Torbey. i mean, you have a plethora of adjectives that end with y, such as furry, murky, muddy, hungry, angry etc. and then you already have names like Toby or Gray or Monty.

to add to this, when i see Torbie, i think cookie, beanie, hippie, Barbie, Fergie, so we must think very differently.

I was taught that "ie" is pronounced "eye" (there's no good way to write this sound in the English language, by the way), but it's more often pronounced "ee".

Torby it is, then. It's a portmanteau of the Japanese words tori (bird) and tobu (to fly). Also, here's a happy coincidence: in Japanese, "fire bird" and "lonely" (literally "one person") are homophones, hitori.

Torbey is like the opposite-but-similar of Torquay (pronounced tor-kee), a place in Devon, England.

I'm pretty sure Torquay comes from Spanish, but me no habla Español.

I also want to hopefully make a universe out of EverBright.

Back on-topic, I can think of scenarios (eg: Estelle and Torbey get annoyed by a bunch of cute things who talk like they came from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon), but not a plot conflict. Since @diamondpearl876 posted while I was typing this, what do you mean by character conflict? I can't think of what Torby would actually want to do, since it's not like he's going to talk about his past with someone he just met.

My original idea for a conflict was that there was a villain who was basically a cross between Grovyle the Thief and Necrozma, but then I realised it was a bit convoluted.

I'm pretty sure Torquay comes from Spanish, but me no habla Español.

I also want to hopefully make a universe out of EverBright.

Back on-topic, I can think of scenarios (eg: Estelle and Torbey get annoyed by a bunch of cute things who talk like they came from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon), but not a plot conflict. Since @diamondpearl876 posted while I was typing this, what do you mean by character conflict? I can't think of what Torby would actually want to do, since it's not like he's going to talk about his past with someone he just met.

My original idea for a conflict was that there was a villain who was basically a cross between Grovyle the Thief and Necrozma, but then I realised it was a bit convoluted.

Conflict isn't always external, ie. something the character wants to do. You seem to have internal conflicts going on right now with a mix of external.

"The protagonist, Estelle, is a mischievous flying-squirrel-alike (a glylla) who had no intention of leaving her home forest until something went awry and she decided to sort it out herself."

What went awry? How did this change her views on the world? It certainly shook things up to make her leave home. Did she learn to mistrust people as a result? Is she searching for a new home now?

"and the deuteragonist, Torbey, is a shy phoenix/bird-of-prey (a bonflyer) who turns out to have been exiled from the shiny city on the other side of the land. He feels indebted to Estelle because she saved his life."

You can build external conflict off of the "feeling indebted" part. Maybe he wants to be free but feels trapped in his situation with Estelle. Maybe he wants to find ways to return home. Maybe he's perfectly happy where he is and every other character is beating him over the head with a stick because they don't think he should be happy.

That's what I mean by character conflict - things you characters feel and want to do as a result of the past scenarios they experienced.

As for plot... that's harder to say. It sounds like this is going to be an epic plot, and I don't know if you wanna go a more traditional route or not. I've always found it easier to come up with character conflicts then help come up with a plot conflict, so outlining a villain like you're trying to sounds like a good start.

Back
Top Bottom