• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Plot Bunny Zoo

@Athena: That is where I'm thinking of heading with it. I am still not sure the specifics of it or how much it would really affect the plot in most stories, but I am just taken with the idea of it.

@The Booty Warrior: I don't think you should go in with the idea that you have to make it 'not your standard Journey fic' or what have you. Normally when people try too hard to make it different they can go too far in the other direction which doesn't really help. I think a slice of life-ish tone would probably be better suited to what you've described about the older trainer going with the younger girl, perhaps with an entirely original organisation/group as a threat that's more low-key/realistic than Team Rocket and with ties to the older trainer's past. If you are going to go with the game plot, you need either an original take on the plot or have some thematic reasons for doing a straight adaptation that ties into the characters.

Okay, guys, I need some help for future chapters in my Psychic Duelist Django series. The fifth and final season will be very similar to the Dawn of the Duel arc in the Yugioh anime, but I need some help mapping it out. Let's start with the first event that I need to sort out.

At one point, Cody wins a vacation for six to the Great Barrier Reef Resort in Australia, which the gang capitalizes on for some downtime. Instead, the private plane crashes in the badlands and the gang unwittingly get involved in a Psykinox-related "game": Capsule Monsters quest. I've already mapped out the Capsule Monsters they'll have, as well as the main villain (the ghost of Infinity the Infinite, a powerful Psykinox warlord who conquered more countries than Alexander the Great). But I need some help with the five Trials that they have to pass, plus the bonus Trial due to the fact that they have a connection to six certain Numbers. I've already mapped out the start of the adventure, the last trial as well as the final battle of the mini-arc, but I'm not sure about the remaining trials. I do know that the first trial Django will have to complete himself using the special armor he got, as his friends will be trapped during the battle, but it will leave him out of commission for most of the second trial due to severe exhaustion. However, I don't know what the first four trials and the bonus trial should be. I will say that the bonus trial will result in them gaining Capsule Monster versions of their respective Numbers, but the trial itself I have no idea what. Obviously, these trials will involve monsters from the series, but I'm not sure what monsters and what kind of trials they'll be. Any advice? I don't want to outright copy from the Capsule Monsters episodes, but I don't have much in the way of ideas now.

I'll leave it at that for now, since I've already gotten a sizable chunk of season 5 down in my planning documents, but this 12-13 chapter arc is where I'm kinda stuck. And if you're wondering what it's purpose is, it's to help the gang find clues and gain knowledge on how to complete their true mission: ending the Bloodlust family, uniting the Powers of Numeron and Barian, and unite the three races (humans, Elementals, and Psykinoxes), as the "game" was made by Psykinoxes, so clues to how to end the Spirit/Bloodlust war will be mixed in. So any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

@AceTrainer14 : Actually, slice of life-ish, with a potential criminal organization was largely what I had in mind, though I'm still working details out. After looking through several threads here, I think the problem was my choice of words. Everyone else's definition of journey fic seemed to essentially be "travelling around the region to complete some kind of quest/task", whereas the definition I was using was "game plot". And obviously, those are two different things. I think what I have in mind, while not really a retelling of the games, is largely standard for a journey fic which I know isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Also, thank you for bringing up the possibility of a different crime organization. I hadn't even considered that until you brought it up.

@Beth Pavell : I hear ya and I understand where you're coming from. You've made me think about stuff I'm not sure I'd thought too hard about before. Admittedly, though, I still feel like I could make it work in a way that doesn't feel like a gamebreaker or unexplained mark of specialness. I'll just have to plan it out some more and see if it ultimately ends up being important enough of an idea to keep.

That being said, I do feel I should repeat the gratitude for the words of caution. It would be pretty foolish to not remember that if too many authors don't do it well, there's probably a good reason why.

Last edited:
Making my first post here! in order to ask about an idea that I just had today but aren't too sure of.

So a few years ago I started writing a story called Welcome to Our World which was about Pokémon coming into the real world and a boy getting caugh up in this whole thing it died quickly xD

Now I kind of wanna do it again but I wanna bring it closer to home in a way like the old story had the protagonist in the US and stuff like that but I was thinking the othe rday with the state that my country is in and all like that I kept thinking "how would it be if Pokémon actually appeared or something, how would it influence things.

So I kind of wanna do it again but this time with the story centering where I live and showcasing issues that I've seen here and how the pokemon that start appearing affect that.

My only problem with this is that I'm not sure how complex it could end up becoming and I've never done something with such a big scope before, like I'm afraid of failing if I try to target political themes and stuff.

@Crobatman : I hear ya, bruh. BTW, I remember that story. I think that was the one I read and reviewed. Really liked it.

It is pretty difficult to figure out how to incorporate Pokemon and the politics of today's America into your writing, since they create such a radical change to all sorts of issues, aside from disrupting the geopolitical landscape (I think I'm saying this correctly).

One recommendation I would make would be, for the sake of avoiding over-complicating things, limiting the number of species you'd introduce. I think it'd help with simplicity. As for how small the number should be, that's up to you.

Another thing, too, could be if you were incorporating issues like, perhaps, Islamophobia or the rates at which cops kill African-Americans. Maybe the introduction of Pokemon gives everyone a new enemy to unite against.

Maybe the Pokemon appear and are quickly seen as biological weapons and different political factions are trying to capture them to use against one another. Except then there would logically be a debate about how to classify Pokemon and whether or not they would be considered "banned weapons" if they're biological, since I believe the Geneva Convention outlaws biological warfare. And whether or not any nations, UN membership or not, would think it would be okay to make an exception in the case of Pokemon. And, of course, the animal rights activists.

There are other things, but there's my two cents.

(It is okay to bring up issues like this in the context of a story, right?)

Well I was actually going to focus on the issues going on in my country (which is Venezuela) since I know them better, I mean yes I get that you can just as easily research into other countries but I feel like it'd be better with something I've lived through.

I do have to write down all the possible things that I can make use of with it.

Aside from that I will admit I decided tod o this because I just keep looking at the way things are over here right now and keep thinking "what would happen if people started getting Pokemon?" so maybe it does fall into wish fulfillment a bit.

Well, this is embarrassing. I had assumed you lived in the US. ^^;

But that aside, you go get that wish fulfillment, bruh. I know you have the skills to pull it off without dragging down the story.

Alrighty, then. Aside from the issues of Pokemon being seen as biological weapons and everything that comes with that, perhaps Pokemon could end up ramping up the class warfare to violent levels? Perhaps they've appeared and people are trying to keep them as secret as possible, since their existence could put an end to attempts to get the government and opposition coalition to talk peacefully?

I'd try thinking outside the scope of fighting. It's the first thing everyone jumps to when going for a more "realistic" pokémon story of some kind - there is some merit to it, but it's also so played out. You'd get a bit more mileage out of thinking how pokémon could be used in other applications. How would agriculture benefit from the use of pokémon, for example. What could it do for mining and prospecting. How would people's attitudes to the environment change if they had to be careful of disrupting pokémon ecosystems, that sort of thing

I'd try thinking outside the scope of fighting. It's the first thing everyone jumps to when going for a more "realistic" pokémon story of some kind - there is some merit to it, but it's also so played out. You'd get a bit more mileage out of thinking how pokémon could be used in other applications. How would agriculture benefit from the use of pokémon, for example. What could it do for mining and prospecting. How would people's attitudes to the environment change if they had to be careful of disrupting pokémon ecosystems, that sort of thing

That I will need to consider with my History of Shoyo - which has been on the backburner, I admit. I know that Torkoal would hold a clue for Shoyo's (Pokeverse!Japan) early Meiji-era's industrialization, and I've also have Omnytes, Mamoswines, and other Pokémon as sources for food in pre-history. Some Pokémon could be used for overseas navigations during the Spanish/Portugese colonial era during the Renaissance and onwards. For example, Dragonites (which according to the Pokedex) is said to can travel around the world in less than 16 hours, and can lead lost ships to safety. Perhaps Spanish explorer Francisco Xavier's ship came to Shoyo that way.

With the mentality of having to live with Pokémon, sustainable development would be a another consideration. Exploration of fossil fuels would be more restricted in the Pokeverse, than in real life. In my fanfic history, sprawling suburbs would be more limited to the immediate surrounds of Saffron-Celadon-Viridian and Ecruteak-Goldenrod-Olivine metropolitan areas. People would be less reliant on cars (at least until electric cars become a thing), and more reliant on public transport. There would be more widespread cases of National Parks and other environmental reserves doubling as Trainer's Routes.

Last edited:
So I had a thought for potentially a short story or a one-shot that I probably won't follow up on, because time.

With all of the hubbub about Pokemon Go lately, I thought about it. What would the Pokemon universe's equivalent be? Would children be on their phones all the time, running around town to catch this fantastic creature known as a 'squirrel'? Or roam the countryside in search of the rare and elusive 'horse'? Maybe they'll find the unnecessarily large 'tuna' while at a harbor? All the while, they're ignoring the fascinating Pokemon already around them.

@Crobatman Honestly I'd be quite interested in a story based in Venezuela. I think there's a lot of potential in that idea.

I think the story sounds pretty cool @Crobatman. I think it would require a lot of scene setting throughout the story (I'm thinking Vaira but less fantastical I guess) but trying Pokemon in a non-westernised country would be a totally awesome idea.

So I had a thought for potentially a short story or a one-shot that I probably won't follow up on, because time.

With all of the hubbub about Pokemon Go lately, I thought about it. What would the Pokemon universe's equivalent be? Would children be on their phones all the time, running around town to catch this fantastic creature known as a 'squirrel'? Or roam the countryside in search of the rare and elusive 'horse'? Maybe they'll find the unnecessarily large 'tuna' while at a harbor? All the while, they're ignoring the fascinating Pokemon already around them.
It'd probably just be the same thing as it is in our world, just with their regions in it. Consider that they have Game Boys with Pokémon games within the series. I'd imagine it'd be marketed toward the kids whom aren't old enough for a Trainer Licence and their parents aren't letting them raise a team in the meantime, or whatever the reasoning behind the smaller children trainers is.

So... I've recently been trying my hand at writing a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon fanfic as of late. It's a retelling of the original paired games with my own personal alterations to canon events dotted around (the duo save a different Steel type species in Thunderwave Cave, for instance).

I already have two parts posted in another forum and I've been hoping to bring it here soon when I feel a little more confident in my writing skills. Would anyone be interested in my doing such?

Hello, everyone! I recently started my own Pokemon journey fic and had some plot ideas in mind.

As for the overarching plot, I had in mind a group of people who wanted to use the powers of Darkrai's Dark Void to control Pokemon and build a powerful enough army of Pokemon to over throw the league and establish their own. They are all people who have failed to defeat Cynthia in the past, though grow to desire more than control over the league as the story would go on.

As for character related plots, I had overarching rivalries planned between my main character Davis, and his friend Colin. His friend Marissa will be thrown into the mix, but she's generally going to be the one who prefers to stay out of conflict and just rolls her eyes at her friends often. There is also Davis' older brother who will act as a rival. So far, its only been hinted that Davis' does not have a good relationship with him. Of course, I do have a slump for my protagonist as well, which would reinforce his insecurities to himself.

This is just about what I have, pertaining to the plot.

Back
Top Bottom