• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Plot Bunny Zoo

I've been messing around with various tropes to play around with in regards to my villainous team. I was wondering, what would people think of code-names in relation to those of the zodiac, like Taurus and Gemini? Does anyone know if its been used before?

I've been messing around with various tropes to play around with in regards to my villainous team. I was wondering, what would people think of code-names in relation to those of the zodiac, like Taurus and Gemini? Does anyone know if its been used before?
Team Zodiac would be quite cool. I had a quick google and nothing really came up in terms of fan fiction, so I think you would be fine. Probably avoid Taurus though given the Pokemon.

For a potential story, are there many Pokemon in the Hoenn or Kalos regions that people think are sidelined from fan-fiction? I'm trying to think but struggling to come up with side-lined by interesting ones XD

Team Zodiac would be quite cool. I had a quick google and nothing really came up in terms of fan fiction, so I think you would be fine. Probably avoid Taurus though given the Pokemon.

For a potential story, are there many Pokemon in the Hoenn or Kalos regions that people think are sidelined from fan-fiction? I'm trying to think but struggling to come up with side-lined by interesting ones XD
Mightyena, Furfrou, Linoone, Spinda, Barboach line, Lileep line, Clamperl line, maybe the Scatterbug line are all the ones that I think of when I imagine sidelined Pokemon

Do you mean generations or regional PokéDexes? If regional PokéDexes, go on the Random Pokémon Generator and filter it to Hoenn or Kalos.

Someone on the clichés thread once suggested several alternatives to Lucario (ie: non-uncanny-valley Fighting-types), and one of the Pokémon they suggested was Breloom. I don't recall ever seeing one in a fanfic.

For ages I've wanted to write a concise story set in a fantasy world, but I just don't have the patience to. By "concise", I mean that the plot is relatively simple, where the endgoal is clear from the get-go and there aren't many plot twists; the opposite of complicated. An example of a concise-in-a-good-way story is Gotta Dash 'em All.

I don't see Swellow/Taillow very often, and they're in fact the best regional bird.

Thanks for the ideas, peeps! Does raise some interesting suggestions I hadn't really thought of. Breloom I think is a definite choice that deserves more interesting - great concept and fascinating looking Pokemon.

I hadn't thought of Poochyena, but it would make for a good starter if you think about it, being basically a puppy. It's not often you see it portrayed in a positive light since it is the one most often used by Team Magma/Aqua. And yeah, people generally don't give the regional birds much attention, which is a shame since they can be quite cool.

How about Exploud? I think that's Hoenn, but I honestly couldn't tell you. I don't think the devs of Pokemon even remember that one.

I remember once seeing a post on this forum saying that the only Pokémon the Company remembers are Pikaclones, starters, legendaries, Eeveelutions, Greninja, and Lucario. Then again, someone on that thread also called Ocarina of Time "The Legend of Zelda" without a subtitle.

I'm supposed to be writing a short about a Poochyena, but I lost inspiration.

Does anyone have any suggestions for goals in the Pokemon world, aside from Coordinator and Gym Battles/Battle Frontier?
I've been trying to come up with more goals for my story but I can't seem to think of much.

I've been toying with the idea of a Myth Hunter, where the person is searching to find all the myths of the Pokemon World. This would include the legendary pokemon as well as legendary items.

Does anyone have any suggestions for goals in the Pokemon world, aside from Coordinator and Gym Battles/Battle Frontier?
I've been trying to come up with more goals for my story but I can't seem to think of much.

I've been toying with the idea of a Myth Hunter, where the person is searching to find all the myths of the Pokemon World. This would include the legendary pokemon as well as legendary items.
Maybe Pokémon Biologist, or Ecologist?

Also, I'm now remembering this time I saw a headcanon that unused Pokémon designs (eg: Latiken) exist as cryptids in-universe.

You could take inspiration from all of the trainer titles in the games such as 'Swimmer' or 'Beauty'.
The goals don't have to be to do with Pokemon, but they can use Pokemon as a means of reaching them.

Last edited:
I just like exploring the biology of fictional creatures.

I was thinking about a Dragon-versus-Fairy version of the ability Scrappy called Fury's Blessing, and then I realised that it sounded like a cool plot device for an original story.

EDIT:
Concept I just came up with said:
This story takes place in a world afflicted by Foreverlasting Twilight (name may change) – a world where there is the bare minimum amount of light for an ecosystem to function. This light is provided by crystals that glow in a soft, rippling rainbow pattern, and all creatures in this world avoid them, in fear that touching the crystals will hurt them.

One species that live in this world resemble dragons, who live in caves and eat crystals. They believe in a prophecy that someone will save them… but a young member of this species, who doesn’t match the description of the “chosen one”, gets tired of waiting, and decides to go out and stop the Foreverlasting Twilight.

Last edited:

Collector, one with an unhealthy obsession with collecting them all or rare variants of specific species.

Breeder, one who's interested in grabbing the best traits or possibly developing a new breed. Might not work as a goal in a journey fic due to the time that would take.

Headhunter, one who runs a business as a procurer of certain hard to obtain species, motivated by monetary gain.

Stylist, probably an auxiliary support role to a coordinator, who specializes in dolling Pokemon up for photo shoots, contests or just for fun.

Probably the wrong word, but a Digitizer? Someone who's obsessed with recreating Pokemon in a digital form, similar to Porygon. Maybe the dumbest idea on this list unless you did some sort of simulation-based story.

Collector, one with an unhealthy obsession with collecting them all or rare variants of specific species.

Breeder, one who's interested in grabbing the best traits or possibly developing a new breed. Might not work as a goal in a journey fic due to the time that would take.

Headhunter, one who runs a business as a procurer of certain hard to obtain species, motivated by monetary gain.

Stylist, probably an auxiliary support role to a coordinator, who specializes in dolling Pokemon up for photo shoots, contests or just for fun.

Probably the wrong word, but a Digitizer? Someone who's obsessed with recreating Pokemon in a digital form, similar to Porygon. Maybe the dumbest idea on this list unless you did some sort of simulation-based story.
Oh my gosh, I can't believe I forgot about Stylist and Breeder :( I really like the idea of Stylist, and Headhunter for an antagonistic person.

You could take inspiration from all of the trainer titles in the games such as 'Swimmer' or 'Beauty'.
The goals don't have to be to do with Pokemon, but they can use Pokemon as a means of reaching them.
I agree with @JayGaymes, this is a good idea! It would be nice to see more stories that deal with other aspects of the Pokemon world/other goals. I think I might have to look at some of these professions for one fic.

Yessss. This is a good question. The point of the original games was technically to catch Pokemon to help fill out the Pokedex. You could do something like that: a researcher out to gather information on all sorts of Pokemon. The sequel to my current fic will see the protagonist doing something that's a cross between this and your Myth Hunter idea. He'll be traveling around trying to gather enough information on legendary Pokemon to write a decent Dex entry beyond "It's really rare and no one knows anything about it."

You could also do a sort of Ranger thing, where they travel around dealing with poachers or dangerous Pokemon. That could either be as part of an official organization like the actual Rangers, or they could just be a freelance trainer that catches or otherwise pacifies Pokemon that have become a threat to humans. Lots of potential stories there... Hmm... Now you've got me thinking :p

You could also do a sort of Ranger thing, where they travel around dealing with poachers or dangerous Pokemon. That could either be as part of an official organization like the actual Rangers, or they could just be a freelance trainer that catches or otherwise pacifies Pokemon that have become a threat to humans. Lots of potential stories there... Hmm... Now you've got me thinking :p
Seconded. The only fanfic involving rangers I've ever read is A New World, a New Way, which turns them into an entire organisation of anti-Poképhilia strawmen.

I do think that strict retellings of the game have been done to death at this point, particularly on Fanfiction.net, but there are still interesting ways to go about a journey fic. It's really up to you - write what you want! My only true suggestion would be to not take the material from the games themselves, only the idea of the journey/gym quest/what have you. You could simply continue to add differences from the games like you were already doing to make the story feel wholly original even when your main inspiration was the games. You could even do a Nuzlocke fic. You could have a fic that starts off a journey fic but diverts into something else early on, etc.

Back
Top Bottom