• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Plot Bunny Zoo

@Rockapheller: I think the important thing to keep in mind when contemplating a retelling of the games is to think of what could make things different but having those diffferences impact on the story and the society. A lot of people go for changes that are pretty minor and are only really aesthetic changes that don't make a whole of a lot of difference. Think about why your characters are going on the journey, give them a reason other than just 'I want to be the very best', and think of the society you want your story to be set in: how do people view Pokemon, Pokemon journeys, the trainers that do them? What has happened in the past to shape the society as it is today? In my story, Eight Easy Steps, after many years of it being fairly standard, I went back and edited it so that the protagonist was influenced by the destruction and subsequent gentrified rebuilding of her hometown. Changing genders and giving them different Pokemon as starters isn't enough to make it different - BUT, as dp said, write the story you want to write. Just have a think about how you could expand it before you do so.

I had this idea come to me in a dream a few months ago and right now it's nothing more than a mere idea and I have no clue where to even start with it or where it will go. It should be noted that I've never written a Pokemon story other than one maybe two crap ones I tried WAAAY back when the URPG was still young on PE2K. I'm used to writing stories for Wrestling. The idea I had was...

Team Rocket gets a new recruit named Jax who is more or less on the same level as Mondo who tries to charm Jessie and make her his girlfriend. We all know Mondo has a thing for Jessie and doesn't take to kindly to it. And then there's poor James.

The problem is I just don't want to make it yet another Jessie/James love story or them always going after Ash and Co for their Pokemon. Though I could add yet another recruit for James' love interest. I really want to try this yet have no clue where or how to start.

I have an idea for a story (pokemon fic) and I know how to start and end it but I don't know what all I should put in the middle. Synopsis is, the latest victim of a serial killer comes back as a Yamask with the victim's face in the mask and the killer has to cover his tracks. It starts with the moments right after the murder and ends with the killer managing to erase the soul of his victim fully.

I guess the middle would be spent on him tracking Yamask down and trying to kill it or so, but i don't really know about how the structure would go. I mean, I don't want this to be a super short fic, because I think the idea's neat.

I had this idea come to me in a dream a few months ago and right now it's nothing more than a mere idea and I have no clue where to even start with it or where it will go. It should be noted that I've never written a Pokemon story other than one maybe two crap ones I tried WAAAY back when the URPG was still young on PE2K. I'm used to writing stories for Wrestling. The idea I had was...

Team Rocket gets a new recruit named Jax who is more or less on the same level as Mondo who tries to charm Jessie and make her his girlfriend. We all know Mondo has a thing for Jessie and doesn't take to kindly to it. And then there's poor James.

The problem is I just don't want to make it yet another Jessie/James love story or them always going after Ash and Co for their Pokemon. Though I could add yet another recruit for James' love interest. I really want to try this yet have no clue where or how to start.

OC X Canon fanfics need to be handled really carefully. Sure, they can be done right, but then an awful lot of them awful end up being done 'wrong'. If the canon character in particular begin acting 'out of character' because your OC is there. If you want to pull this off, having the canon characters acting as naturally as possible is a must and they shouldn't start changing or making reservations so that your OC can have what they want.

I have an idea for a story (pokemon fic) and I know how to start and end it but I don't know what all I should put in the middle. Synopsis is, the latest victim of a serial killer comes back as a Yamask with the victim's face in the mask and the killer has to cover his tracks. It starts with the moments right after the murder and ends with the killer managing to erase the soul of his victim fully.

I guess the middle would be spent on him tracking Yamask down and trying to kill it or so, but i don't really know about how the structure would go. I mean, I don't want this to be a super short fic, because I think the idea's neat.
I think it could work as a short fic, but if you want to make it longer, you could explore the possibility of the 'afterlife' in the Pokemon world in a bit more depth than the games do (although the games don't really give you much at all apart from referencing Yamask itself).

well there is kind of a B-plot in that fic also, since it's a part of a bigger series, so it wouldn't be completely barebones with only that premise. but i do need to have a point where soul-rules and whatever are established. maybe he visits someone for help. hm

I really want to try this yet have no clue where or how to start.

First question to ask yourself is: where's the story? So far you've got a romantic entanglement, and that's it. If they're Team Rocket, what are they doing while this is all going on? What do you want the outcome to be? Is the romantic plot the main plot or is it something that's going to be a secondary point?

I have an entire story planned out in my head... except for the antagonist.

You see, my story is set in a fantasy-ish world inhabited by fictional species. I say "ish" because the extant ones are a lot more mundane than their ancestors. In this story, some force is causing the sky to disappear, and it turns out that this "force" is just a very bitter, flawed mortal. I'm currently thinking of the antagonist being of a species that's the ancestor of the protagonist's species, who was in suspended animation for who-knows-how-long, and became angry upon awakening. I have an idea that rage could be a powerful force in this world, but I'm worried it might sound silly.

Any help, please?

@Nitro Indigo: I am a bit confused as to who the antagonist is: is it the flawed mortal making the sky disappear, or is it the ancestor species, as your post makes them sound like separate entities. Also, I am not sure what you would mean by rage being a powerful force - would it be separate from the species, is it the only emotion that is separate, or are you thinking of it more like a virus or enhanced ability or something? I wouldn't call it silly, but I would need to know more about what you mean before I can judge it.

I have an entire story planned out in my head... except for the antagonist.

You see, my story is set in a fantasy-ish world inhabited by fictional species. I say "ish" because the extant ones are a lot more mundane than their ancestors. In this story, some force is causing the sky to disappear, and it turns out that this "force" is just a very bitter, flawed mortal. I'm currently thinking of the antagonist being of a species that's the ancestor of the protagonist's species, who was in suspended animation for who-knows-how-long, and became angry upon awakening. I have an idea that rage could be a powerful force in this world, but I'm worried it might sound silly.

Any help, please?

I think it highly depends on the philosophical outlook of the tale, is this a more idealistic story where the beast 'making the sky' vanish is just friendly, yet misunderstood slightly more powerful variant of many of the other characters in the tale? Or is this a more cynical setting where the antagonist is an incomprehensible beast from another world beyond our understanding that has no chance of being reasoned with? I think working out why the antagonist is doing it might be a starting point (even if there is no reason for doing so other than 'it's morals don't line up with our understanding of morals).
I think if you took the more idealistic angle then this story could work well for a younger audience (unless you have any specifically dark plot points planned).

What do you guys think about a Pokemon fic that has combined elements from the anime, games, and the Pokemon Adventures manga? I'm planing to make a story that have these combined elements mixed into each other.

What do you guys think about a Pokemon fic that has combined elements from the anime, games, and the Pokemon Adventures manga? I'm planing to make a story that have these combined elements mixed into each other.
That is not particularly uncommon, a lot of people tend to get inspiration for various forms of Pokemon media. The more important thing is how you mesh them together.

So, I just had a really dumb idea for a non-pokemon story set in a society in the not-too-far future.

Imagine a world where things have gotten so bad that the government has legally mandated that all plastic, glass, paper, etc needs to be recycled for the good of society, because the means of creating new materials has become economically unfeasible due to resource shortages. The mandate isn't enough to spur people to action, so the government has teamed up with recycling centers to pay people to bring in these materials. For every pound of recycled material a person brings to a recycling center, they receive five cents in payment.

But before things got to this point, things like plastic bottles already had a five cent return deposit on them. Either because it was overlooked or because the lawmakers grandfathered it into the system, plastic and glass bottles have retained this five cent deposit. Since these bottles weigh significantly less than a pound, massive counterfeiting operations have been established to convert waste plastic/glass into bottles, which are then shipped to the recycling centers in a scheme to screw the government out of more money than they originally intended.

I don't know what the hook of this story would be, or if it would teach some sort of moral or lesson. Perhaps the main character could be a detective who's been sent to dismantle one of these operations, and it can be a lighthearted comedy which shows the detective bungling through his investigation until he figures it all out.

It's a really dumb idea, but for some reason, it feels like it has legs of some sort.

@Emma Prescott What's a return deposit?

Here's an idea I've been entertaining, on-and-off, for almost a year:
The protagonist doesn't belong in the world the story takes place in, and must be forcibly removed from it to protect the fabric of reality... but their presence is also a spanner in the works to the villain's plans.

@Emma Prescott What's a return deposit?
I'm not sure how common it is in other countries and it's a strange concept in other states, but in New York, Hawaii and a handful of other states, there's a system in place where you can return empty beverage containers to places like supermarkets, community centers and recycling centers. Every bottle you return 'deposits' $0.05 into a little tab that you bring to some sort of clerk at the place and they pay you however much you returned. It's supposed to encourage recycling but I'm not sure that it actually does, because the city streets are still blanketed with old cans and bottles.

@Rockapheller write it like any other combat scene? idk, but you can certainly make battles interesting with bringing the attacks to life, like describing them creatively, imo

@Rockapheller: This academy lesson is about action scenes but will undoubtedly be of some help. I personally go for what I consider 'anime style' with battles, where the move order can be random, you can do combination moves, Pokemon can stop moves/use them against their opponents. The best way to learn how to write battles is to read Pokemon battles in other fan fic and get a feel for how other people do it. Crossover Battles is perhaps the easiest point of reference, as they are literally all about battles.

Is there any thread or a post about how to write a Pokémon Battle which is not boring or typical x used a, b was hit etc.? I am not that dull at least, but I think some tips would be helpful still. If there is no such thread or post, then I'd appreciate any tips or guide on that.
PMD:SR - Chapter 2: Escape Route

Emma Prescott's Storm Island
Heh, I guess that says something about how little I've used Pokemon in Land of the Roses so far if you've suggested Storm Island instead. One of my initial promises to myself was to include Pokemon more!

Well, since I've been suggested as possible inspiration, If you're interested in having a look at how I do battles, I'd personally suggest chapters 6 (link), 8 (link), 27 (link), 29 (link) and 34 (link) as the ones I'm particularly most proud of. I think the trick is to think outside of the box. Try to imagine a battle as more than a numbers game, something where a weird strategy could alter the course of the battle in favor of the underdog. When you start to think of unorthodox strategies, your desire to solve battles with a list of punch/counterpunch responses diminishes.

Back
Top Bottom