• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

FAQ: PMD: Magnagate and the Infinite Labyrinth/Gates to Infinity Discussion Thread

So when do we start recruiting? I'm still fairly early along but I'd like to know when we at least get the chance to grab someone while on a mission. I really don't want to go through a particular desert with my tail between my legs and avoiding everyone in sight. (Yeah, if I can't recruit certain ones, I don't want to fight them. I am a wuss.)

You can recruit Pokemon once chapter 3 starts.

Said chapter is also the only story chapter that you can actually bring your recruits on, however. If you do recruit a Pokemon in any of the later chapters, they'll be sent back to the paradise even if you have space for them in your party.

I never really bothered with your recruited Pokemon in the first place. I just stuck with the Pokemon the story gave you. It helps make that one part in the story make more sense if you go on like they don't exist.

I wasn't blown away by the demo, to be honest, but all these positive reactions have me thinking I should plunk down my thirty four dollars anyway.

I never really bothered with your recruited Pokemon in the first place. I just stuck with the Pokemon the story gave you. It helps make that one part in the story make more sense if you go on like they don't exist.
Oh yeah, the first trip to the Great Glacier. Total gameplay/story segregation going on there.

I have to say, I found the ending to be extremely moving, which I couldn't really say about the last games (the orginal ones, yeah, but I didn't find Explorers' all that sad). This one almost brought tears to my eyes. Also:

I really liked how in the post game you played as your partner. I mean, in Explorers, it was stated that a few months had passed since your disappearance, but this time, we get to see what they were doing during those months. I thought that was great. And did anyone else find Hydreigon and your partner looking up at the camera adorable?

I have to say, this was a great game. Being that it was so different from the first two, I honestly wasn't as excited about it, but it was truly great and moving.

I thought the ending was great, as well. It actually mades me sad when PMD stories end and it just goes to continous missions. Having no more story to progress or no new dialouge, it just makes me feel....lonely?

Also, I thought breaking the fourth wall was an awesome way to link the human and pokémon worlds.

It actually mades me sad when PMD stories end and it just goes to continous missions. Having no more story to progress or no new dialouge, it just makes me feel....lonely?
I know what you mean. The first PMD had a variety of plot events cropping up in Pokemon Square (like Munchlax's cameo and Latios), the second PMD had a shorter story arc involving Cresselia, this one, the story just seems to ... stop. I actually do kind of miss not having any story to guide you in the postgame. Yes, there are still plenty of dungeons to explore and Pokemon to recruit, but no ... "impetus" to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved this game. It got you so emotionally involved, I played through it 4 times and I cried every single time, particularly at the end of the first arc before you play as the partner.

Also, I discovered something about Musical Paradise. You are NOT able to access just 64 songs plus the DC, I just reached Royal rank and I have over 80 tracks, and the only thing I downloaded was the poke forest. This makes me happy, I LOVE the song they play when Post Town celebrates the awesome things you do, like destroying the final boss.

Imma go write a review now.

I'll probably stick with what I'm given, I just want the chance to recruit some...ah, new friends. (We all know which.) Besides, I don't know if I'd want to get any of them any EXP to evolve them as I could get their evolved form later.

Well, at least I know I don't have to whimper through the Desert now. :)

That moment when you cream a Monster House with a single Team Attack. They should have introduced those ages ago <3

As for the left board missions, I'm a sad, lonely 21-year-old. My way around beating those bosses, especially the legendary ones, is Hydreigon. I stockpiled all my stat boosters except calcium and now they go down in about 5 hits. Sometimes I don't even use a reviver seed. I suggest you get a strong Dragon-Type attack and Stone Edge, and you'll cream all of them *provideded the pokemon is strong enough. I'd say the mid-60's is safest*. Even Shiny Ho-Oh cowers before the might of the Voice of Life!

Completed this game the other day. The lack of gender choosing and the "Only one mission at a time" thing is a little annoying, but story-wise it does NOT disappoint! Not quite as good as Explorers, but pretty darn close! Oh and the music?....Chunsoft you've done it again! ^^ This game gets a 9/10 from me!

I liked the story the most out of all the games, largely because it had the most well-developed cast of characters.

It's just a pity they didn't have any side stories like Sky did, because I would've loved getting more backstory on a lot of the team members. I honestly could've cared less about most of the characters who got one in Sky.

That moment when you cream a Monster House with a single Team Attack. They should have introduced those ages ago <3

As for the left board missions, I'm a sad, lonely 21-year-old. My way around beating those bosses, especially the legendary ones, is Hydreigon. I stockpiled all my stat boosters except calcium and now they go down in about 5 hits. Sometimes I don't even use a reviver seed. I suggest you get a strong Dragon-Type attack and Stone Edge, and you'll cream all of them *provideded the pokemon is strong enough. I'd say the mid-60's is safest*. Even Shiny Ho-Oh cowers before the might of the Voice of Life!

Same I wish they did more stuff that you could do over the internet.

I just finished the story line yesterday, it was really a great story. And the part of me :3 being gone was quite endearing.

But I have a feeling that this game was kinda shorter storywise but still really great game.

BTW: ;_; The grudge trap is anoying.

Last edited:
On the left board, I took out a three-star outlaw using a Lv.40 or so Earthquake Excadrill.

Yeah, the battle basically went: Earthquake! Earthquake! Earthquake! Victory.

I just finished the main storyline for the game and I'm still in the early stages for the post-storyline. I really liked it. The storyline moved pretty quickly, but it was also pretty engaging and emotional. The ending made me cry so hard. I'm playing as a Oshawott and my partner is Pikachu. I like how there's a bit more to do after the main storyline instead of jumping right into a usual routine. I am disappointed that there's not a lot of Pokemon to recruit and few Pokemon outside of the fifth generation is a shame too, especially when I would have loved to see a Riolu and Lucario in this game, but it is a solid game for the most part.

So I have finished this game.

I don't really mind all of that 'omg only 144 pokemon!?' stuff. It's not like most people bother trying to recruit everything anyway, also I got lucky and a lot of Pokemon I like are in the game. I like playing PMD games for the story. And the story, well... it was a bit short, but nonetheless enjoyable. I think the best part about it was probably how the side characters got lots more focus than the past games, even if they aren't hugely plot-important; there's way less stereotyping, too. Emolga's probably my favourite Pokemon character ever.

The soundtrack is great. Kilionea Road's theme I like a lot and One Last Look At Paradise is so very beautifully depressing, despite being a pretty simple song.

I don't like it when those stories end. Especially not in this game, since all the characters were so well done and just having them sitting around saying the same lines everyday with nothing happening at all... it's a bit sad. I'm probably thinking too much into it haha.

A couple of new features that I really liked about this game was how all of the Pokemon in your team gain the same amount of experience, even if they're all back in Paradise. That makes it a lot easier to use some of them in the harder jobs, especially if you go through the storyline and not doing much with the Companion Mode like I did. I really liked that your Pokemon can evolve, aside from you and your partner, during the storyline. It's just so refreshing to not have this whole twist at the end with some special area that allows Pokemon to evolve again. Replacing that with showing how you get back into the Pokemon World was a lot better and more interesting.

I also got some of the downloadable dungeons because I wanted to get a Thunderstone without going through one of the two minigames, especially Beartic's Slide, to evolve Pikachu. Plus, I didn't know that I could only get the other Pokemon I could have become like Snivy, Tepig and Axew through some of those dungeons too. I kind of wish that they were included in the games instead of having to buy them, but at least it wasn't too much and aside from the dungeon where you can get more manuals, I don't regret buying them due to finding items and Pokemon that I'd want to join the team. That one dungeon didn't have many manuals and all of the Pokemon I already had or will due to how they'll evolve.

I also got some of the downloadable dungeons because I wanted to get a Thunderstone without going through one of the two minigames, especially Beartic's Slide, to evolve Pikachu. Plus, I didn't know that I could only get the other Pokemon I could have become like Snivy, Tepig and Axew through some of those dungeons too. I kind of wish that they were included in the games instead of having to buy them.

They are available without DLC , but it's a huge pain to recruit them, as you need to explore one of the postgame dungeons (Preferably when they have a high mysteriosity rating) and hope you get sent to the Uncharted Path, where they can be found at a low chance. Which ones you can find depends on what dungeon you reached the Uncharted Path from.

Moonlit Forest, Rusty Mountain = Snivy

Dreamy Island, Silent Tundra = Oshawott and Pikachu

Jaws of the Abyss, Smoking Mountain = Axew and Tepig

They are available without DLC , but it's a huge pain to recruit them, as you need to explore one of the postgame dungeons (Preferably when they have a high mysteriosity rating) and hope you get sent to the Uncharted Path, where they can be found at a low chance. Which ones you can find depends on what dungeon you reached the Uncharted Path from.

Moonlit Forest, Rusty Mountain = Snivy

Dreamy Island, Silent Tundra = Oshawott and Pikachu

Jaws of the Abyss, Smoking Mountain = Axew and Tepig

I kind of wish I knew that before I bought the DLC, but it does sound like it would have been more difficult to find them, let alone get them to join, that way. Plus, I was able to get a few other Pokemon in those areas. Not to mention I still need to get more evolution items and it's a pain to wait until Beartic's Slide has them available as prizes. It's easier to get Starmie to dive to treasure boxes, but it rarely has black boxes.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom