• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

MATURE: Pocket Monsters (7)

Re: Pocket Monsters (5)

Good advice, Kellyn. Thank you. I'll be sure to work on it.

Also:

I'm not sure where to post something like this, but...

-If anyone who is reading this knows of any really good, talented shorthand artists who could draw up some artwork for this fic, I'd be willing to commission ($) someone to come up with characters designs for Milo, Rena, and other characters.

I don't want to spam the Artist's forum, but if anyone knows of someone who would be interested in doing some awesome artwork, I would really appreciate it!

Props to you. This story is easily the most unique and one of the most well-written stories I've read, and I've read a good few thousand. I could definitely learn a hing or two from you. Keep up the good work.

-Make smaller chapters. People try to avoid these big lumps of text.
-If people are sayign something, make sure there is a paragraph in between them

Honestly, with the fanbase and writing skill Legacy has, he could literally make a five page chapter mainly about Milo taking a shit, and it would still get top marks. I think you're like the first to actually complain about "big lumps of text". Besides, I'm kind of like that at times, but if there's anyone who can keep my attention through towering walls of text, it's the fuckin' Legacy.

I could probably make some drawings, but I'm the anti-talent. Hey, maybe I'll still do it for the hell of it, though.

Thanks for the kind words, System Error. I have read your blog and coming from a writer like you, I am seriously humbled by your compliments :)

I can agree with Kellyn tho that my writing is (more than) sometimes very long-winded and can be a bit much. So I appreciate the critique.

Thanks again to all who have taken the time to read. As always, let me know if you want to add your $0.02 to what you want to happen!

lol, I can also help with pics. For Art I've already got high scores. Maybe we can work together, System Error. :p

I agree with System Error, don't limit the length of your chapters, they're good as they are.

Long chapters are usually a problem because it's very rare that writers can maintain interest over chapters of that length but Legacy proves that he can.

Leg's only ever had a problem with long chapters when he went overboard on descriptions of things that weren't all that important, and it seems he's gotten over that, so he's good.

Haha yes, Chapter 1 of TPI... I went back and read that and was like, "Okay, WE GET IT! The forest is dark and rainy." XD

I can draw some art for your story. I got highest marks in my art class and have won lotsa awards too.

Your fic is really great!

Thanks for the offers everyone. I'm wondering if anyone who is interested in doing some art for the story (I could pay a little bit, but not more than like $20USD) could post some sort of sample here, and from there I could choose.

I think it would be really neat to have a Bulbagarden artist do like a drawing for each chapter that could be displayed under each chapter's title. Just a little illustration ala the HP books.

What do you guys think? Anyone interested? Good way to get your name out there at least.

Well, I can't draw but you can still pay me. :p

I've been holding off on reading this story since I kind of like reading already-completed stories, but once I get back home this Sunday I'm planning on finally reading the first five chapters anyway. I did glance through the first chapter, though. To be honest, I did find it a little boring and it didn't pull me in like TPI did (speaking of TPI, I did leave a review there a week ago or so if you didn't see). I can't say I agree that was the best way to begin the story, but I know that your an experienced writer and I'm sure the next few chapters will be a little more exciting.

Sorry for the kind of lackluster review, but I promise I'll have a more in-depth one once I get a chance to read the rest of the chapters. ^^';;

Yeah Pocket Monsters started a little more slowly than TPI for sure, just because it was literally the beginning of this world as opposed to TPI, where it was continuation on Ash Ketchum's life.

I'm struggling to include more action along with the necessary world-building stuff. Hopefully I can pick up the action here soon :)

Well, I would see. Don't know if it will work. I'll see whenever I get time. BTW, I'm sending a PM. :p

wow I just read all five chapters in about 4 hours they were really good can't wait for chapter 6 ^^

Thanks guys! I really seriously appreciate you guys taking the time to read my little story. Anyways, Ch6 should be up possibly by the end of the weekend.

Just finished reading the current chapters. Have to say this is an extremely good piece of writing, and I'll continue reading it. Thanks :D

A/N: Well, Chapter 6 is done. Chapter 5 left off with Milo awaking to see Rena and the other people at the Maple Plain Pokemon Center staring in awe and horror at the T.V.

Thanks again to those who take the time to read this!:ksmile:

Chapter Six: Redemption

Milo, Rena and the other Pokémon Center patrons stared in awe at the scene they saw on television. A male newscaster's somber face was in the foreground as he reported on the chaos unfolding behind him. The words, “Breaking News,” scrolled across the bottom of the screen in loud font.

In the background behind the reporter, Milo saw thick, black clouds of smoke dominating the morning sky. Frantic blood and dirt-covered people were scurrying in every direction in front of what looked like a tall office building of some sort. The flashing lights of the fleet of emergency vehicles could be seen all over. Mounds of broken concrete, burnt metal and other debris, presumably from the decimated, still-burning building, also littered the ground.

The scene was definitely one of chaos and confusion. It looked like a war zone straight from a movie. Milo and the others stood in a sort of hushed terror as they watched the man on the screen try to explain what was happening behind him.

“I'm here live from Golden Valley, where thirty-two people are dead after a massive explosion has ravaged Silph Corporation Headquarters today...” he said gravely.

Milo heard many people gasp all around him. A faint twinge of fear echoed inside his stomach when he heard the somber news. Even though Golden Valley was half-way across the country, the level of destruction was enough to make the people in Maple Plain take notice.

“... The awesome blast shook the metro area only about twenty-five minutes ago, causing a devastating amount of damage to the world renowned technology development facility. Reports are that over sixty Silph employees as well as several bystanders on the street, were injured in the explosion, including the thirty-two confirmed casualties.

“Golden Valley Police are here on the scene, but are not yet confirming the exact cause of the explosion, which reportedly occurred in the research and development wing of the complex and caused extensive damage to over half of the ten-story building. At this point, a gas leak or machinery malfunction is thought to be the cause...”

Milo looked over to his right to see that the pajama-clad Rena had taken out a small tablet of paper and a pen – from where, he had no idea – and was feverishly jotting notes down on it.

“... Police Chief Roger Lennox said that they will be conducting a thorough investigation, and that they will be closing the immediate area of downtown Golden Valley near Silph Corp. for safety reasons until experts can determine significance of the structural damage to the building...

“... It is without question, one of the deadliest accidents that we have ever seen here in Golden Valley. Within the hour, we hope to have a public statement from Silph Corps President David Silph. In the meantime, we'll be sure to keep you updated as soon as we learn anything else. Until then, back to you in the studio, Ron.”

After a few moments of silent reflection, the crowd around Milo began to disperse, most still murmuring about the epic tragedy in Golden Valley. Milo and Rena were left to stand alone in the lounge in front of the television. She turned to him, finally acknowledging his presence.

“Silph is the largest commercial technology manufacturing firm in the country,” she said, as though she thought Milo would be completely ignorant to who they were. “They make everything. Communications equipment, computer systems, parts for hospital machinery, everything... even pokéballs.”

Milo was very familiar with the company already, however. His very own computer at home, an advanced gaming model that he had spent countless hours in front of, was a Silph brand machine. It was true, they were one of the world leaders in terms of developing cutting edge technology.

Milo's Uncle Greg, who had served in Kanto's military years ago, had once told Milo that Silph was the company responsible for the country leading the world in terms of military technological advancement.

“Crazy stuff,” Milo said somberly. “Terrible accident, whatever it was.”

Rena nodded, looking thoughtful for a moment until suddenly her expression changed as though she had just snapped back to reality and remembered Milo's promise to let her accompany him to follow Bryce. She then looked down at herself and realized she was still in her pajamas.

“Anyways,” she said quickly. “I should go get dressed and get my things together. Will you be ready to go in a few minutes?”

“Uh, yeah,” Milo said nervously. “I'm gonna go check on Fawkes on get my supplies from the front.”

But before Rena could leave, a familiar barking noise from behind made them both turn around. To Milo's relief and delight, he saw his Vulpix in Joy's arms as the young woman was walking towards them.

“Fawkes!”

Another bark and the Vulpix leaped spryly from the nurse's clutches to Milo's waiting arms, looking like nothing had ever happened. Her soft brown fur seemed to shimmer brighter now, and her body heat was as warm and healthy as ever.

“Wow, you seem good as new, girl!" Milo said happily.

“It's amazing,” Joy said with a sort of shocked smile on her face. “She's the fastest healer I've ever seen! Look, her wounds are almost completely healed!”

Milo looked and saw that Joy was right. Where the two gruesome stab wounds had been on Fawkes' abdomen, two tiny, almost-invisible, scab-like markings were left in their place. Her gleaming ruby-like eyes were looked bright and well-rested as she licked Milo's face.

“Wow!” Rena said, looking shocked. She took out her notepad once again and began scribbling. “That really is amazing! She's practically as good as new... and after getting attacked by an Ursaring just yesterday!”

Joy looked at Rena with a confused expression and had opened her mouth to speak, but Milo quickly interrupted her.

“So, is Fawkes free to go then, Nurse?”

“Oh, yes. Definitely. She's good to go. Those scabs on her back should be gone by tomorrow at this rate. You can take her whenever you're ready.”

Joy smiled and wished Milo and Fawkes luck before returning back to her office. Rena leaned over and scratched Fawkes behind her ears in greeting before returning to her room to get changed, leaving the two companions to relish their reunion. Milo really was amazed by how fast Fawkes had recovered, but was too overjoyed to really care about how abnormal it seemed.

“I'm so sorry, girl,” he said as he set her down on the ground in front of him. “I should never have put you in that situation. We'll definitely have to let you get some training before we try that again.”

Fawkes barked in agreement, wagging her tongue happily as she followed Milo over to the information desk near the entrance of the building. Milo walked right up to the pudgy blonde woman sitting behind the desk, unable to contain his excited grin. It was like Fawkes' return to health had energized his entire body and returned all of his confidence.

“Milo Young here. I'm participating in the Hugo Bowers competition. I'm here for my supplies,” he announced.

The woman scanned a piece of paper in front of her and then nodded when she apparently found Milo's name on her list.

“Ah, yes. Mr. Young, I wasn't sure if you were still coming,” she said cheerfully. “You're our fourth and final trainer to arrive. The other three already left yesterday.”

“Wow, really? Only four of us?” Milo said, looking slightly surprised.

“Well, only four leaving from this location, yes. Each of the contest's participants start from their nearest Pokémon Center, and you four are the only ones to be registered in our area. There are probably well over a thousand people participating nationwide though,” the receptionist explained.

Milo nodded. He was a bit disappointed to learn that he was already a step behind the other three trainers from the area – one of whom he knew to be Bryce Montgomery – but Milo tried to remind himself that this was not a race. One lost day didn't matter at this point, as long as he could somehow become a decent trainer over the course of the calender year... which Milo knew, was still a daunting task considering what had happened yesterday.

“Here are your maps,” the woman said, handing two folded up sheets of paper. “If you find yourself in an area where you can't get cell phone or GPS service, these will certainly be of use.”

Milo nodded and took the maps of Kanto and stored them in his back pocket.

“Do you have a mobile phone, Mr. Young?” the woman asked.

Milo nodded and handed her his phone. The receptionist took it and connected it to some sort of device that was attached to the computer in front of her. She punched a few keys on the keyboard, and after a few seconds, she disconnected the phone and handed it back to Milo.

“I've uploaded the Pokédex application to your mobile device, Mr. Young,” she explained.

“Pokédex?”

“Yes. Short for Pocket Monster Index,” she explained. “Think of it as sort of a digital encyclopedia of Pokémon. With it, you will be able to take a photo with your phone of any monster you may encounter in the wild, and the program will instantly identify the Pokémon in the picture. Very useful to learn about the creatures you run into, and know whether they're dangerous or not.”

Milo clicked open his phone eagerly. He loved the sound of the index application. He activated the program and pointed his phone camera down at Fawkes and pressed the button to snap the photo.

The phone beeped and instantly, several paragraphs of words along with Fawkes' picture appeared on the small screen. He read:

The monster you have identified is Vulcunus sexcaudalis

Common Name: Vulpix
Height: 1'8”
Weight: 16lbs

These quadrupedal mammalian creatures get their nicknames
from the numbers of tails they have, usually six. Vulpixes
are nearly extinct in the wild with the vast majority being
born and raised in captivity. Their friendly behavior and
ability to learn obedience, along with their unique
appearance have made Vulpixes very popular house
pets all around the country.

Despite their domesticated reputation, some Vulpixes
do have the ability to “breathe fire.” These creatures,
along with several others in the Pokémon kingdom,
can secrete a sort of special saliva that ignites into
flames when it is introduced to the oxygen in the air.

Over time, a Vulpix can be trained to “spit” this saliva
at its enemies, which can result in a jet of flames
capable reaching temperatures hot enough to melt steel.

Milo's eyes didn't leave the sentence about Vulpixes being able to spit fire. He immediately thought of Andy's Charmander and its ability to shoot flames out of its mouth. If Milo could somehow teach Fawkes to do this, perhaps...

“And here are your pokéballs, Mr. Young,” the receptionist said, interrupting his reading.

Milo pocketed his phone and took the small suede drawstring bag the woman handed him. Inside, he heard the metal orbs jostling. He took out one of the balls to admire it. He noticed right away that it looked much newer and shinier than the one Mr. J had given him and that the brand name 'Silph' was stamped on them.

“Is that all then?” Milo asked anxiously, replacing the ball in the satchel.

“Just one more thing,” she replied, searching her desk for something. “Oh yes, here we are. Your first Coin Keeper Clue.”

She handed Milo a small envelope with his name printed on it. He took the letter.

He had forgotten about this aspect of the competition. Each contestant would have to decipher the clues to lead them to the coin keepers, whom they would need to defeat to gauge their progress in the contest. He instantly realized the importance of the letter he held in his hand.

Milo ripped open the envelope. Inside, there was a postcard-sized sheet of paper with a simple phrase printed on it. He read it out loud.

Follow this clue to find your first foe,
For without it, you will wander,
Not knowing where to go.

The Coin Keeper you seek is both strong and wise,
And to find him, you must look where there's no sunrise.
Head north and gaze up at the starry night skies,
Rock hard is his body and stone gray are his eyes.

Milo read the words several times over, but they didn't make much sense to him. So he was looking for someone who was apparently really strong and with gray eyes? That could be anyone. And where on earth would he even begin to start looking?

The only actual hint he had was in the second-to-the-last line of the clue. He knew he had to head north, and he assumed Bryce had received the same clue.

He returned the paper to the envelope and placed it in his pocket. He thanked the receptionist, took his supplies and walked towards the Pokémon Center's entrance where he found Rena waiting near the door holding his backpack.

“Here you go,” she said, handing Milo the bag. “I saw this laying over by the nurse's office. Ready to get going?”

Milo took the backpack. He saw that Rena had changed out of her sleep attire and was now looking ready to travel in a pair of cut-off denim shorts and a gray t-shirt. Her hair was tied back in a pony tail, but Milo tried not to notice how ravishing she still looked.

Fawkes barked happily and scampered over to Rena's feet and rubbed up against her bare legs.

“Hi again, Fawkes,” she giggled. She then looked at Milo and asked, “Where are we headed?”

“Heading north,” Milo said, feeling suddenly bashful. But he tried to sound firm so as not to alert Rena of his uncertainty after reading the clue.

“North? Great, so we're going to Clover Ridge, then? Is that where Bryce said he was headed?”

“Uh, y-yeah. That's right,” Milo said quickly. “Clover Ridge, that's right. If we hurry, maybe we can catch Bryce.”

Milo, who had scarcely paid much attention in geography class growing up, was pretty sure that Clover Ridge was the next closest major town to the north of Maple Plain. And even though he had idea what town or city he would find the coin keeper, at least Clover Ridge would be a step in the right direction, which was north according to his clue.

“Alright, great! Shall we?:”

And with that, Rena led the way out the front doors with Milo and Fawkes walking fast to catch up.

As the trio marched through Rena's quaint suburban hometown of Maple Plain and eventually reached the rural, nature-filled dirt road route to Clover Ridge, Milo and Rena got to know each other better. At least, Milo got to know Rena better.

She mostly talked about her school and her big journalism assignment, which entailed doing an exclusive investigative report on the Bowers competition, and how getting a good grade on her assignment would help her chances in getting into the best journalism colleges in the country.

She also talked about Bryce quite a bit, which obviously didn't please Milo very much.

Milo tried to steer the conversation away from Bryce by telling Rena about his own life, but he was so shy and found it so hard to make himself sound anything but excruciatingly boring that he had begun to resort to making casual mentions of himself being a very skilled cook and the starting second baseman for the Oak Grove all-city baseball team.

As the two of them – with Fawkes scampering happily alongside – continued their long walk down the dirt road, which was lined with thick brush and tall grass, Rena marveled about the scenery.

“Well, it sure did turn out to be a beautiful day, didn't it? It's so nice to get out of the suburbs and enjoy nature,” she said cheerfully and stopped. “Oh, look over there!”

Milo looked up and saw that Rena was pointing at a small group of creatures galloping through the tall grass across the road. The Pokémon stopped when they were partially hidden by the overhanging brush and bent down to graze.

Milo couldn't see exactly what the creatures were, so he quickly took out his phone and did his best to snap a photo of them.

The monster you have identified is Cervidae Stagimus

Common name: Stantler
Height: 4'5”
Weight: 149lbs

These creatures are most defined by their large antlers that
grow on their heads, and are the reason for their common
nickname. As infants, the Stantler's headgear are nothing
more than undeveloped boney knobs growing from their
skulls, but as the creatures mature, their antlers can grow
large enough to use as weapons against enemies.

Stantler are quadrupedal creatures that possess a tan-
colored pelt which allows them to live in even the most
frigid climates.

They are peaceful creatures who thrive in the wild, away
from human interaction. They are found roaming the many
plains and forests of the country, wherever human inhabitants
is sparse.​

Milo should have guessed that the shrouded monsters were Stantler. He had seen them countless times growing up in Oak Grove, either wandering across his backyard or near the edge of the woods just outside of town. But he had never really appreciated just how majestic and formidable they looked with their sharp antlers and muscular hindquarters until now.

“Wow, that's a cool phone you've got there,” Rena said, clearly impressed by the Pokédex app. “Can it do that for any Pokémon?”

But Milo wasn't listening. He was too busy staring at the Stantler across the way. He kept his eyes on them, watching them like a predator watching his prey... And then Milo did something before he could stop himself. Maybe it was just a reaction to the newness of the adventure or the feeling of the pokéballs jangling in his backpack, but for whatever reason, Milo suddenly took off sprinting across the road towards the grazing Stantler.

“Milo?! What are you doing?” he heard Rena call out to him. Fawkes barked at him as well.

But he didn't stop to answer either of them. This was his chance to show Rena – and himself – that he belonged in this competition along with the Bryce Montgomerys of the world. This was his moment. He reached back into the bag and took one of his five pokéballs, churning his legs as hard as he could through the tall grass.

When he got close to the Stantler, they immediately sensed his presence and galloped off. But Milo was determined. He reared back and threw his ball at one of the slower moving stags probably twenty feet ahead of him.

The orb flew through the air with velocity that surprised Milo. It connected with the buttocks of the Stantler and burst open. A flash of white light made Milo's heart jump, but it quickly fizzled out, and the ball fell harmlessly to the ground as the pack of Stantler ran off into the woods.

Milo swore under his breath as he walked dejectedly over to retrieve his empty ball from the weeds. He sensed Rena's eyes on him from across the way – not in a good way – and he wanted to just crawl into the high grass or run into the woods and hide.

“What was that all about?” she asked him, when he finally made his way back. “Were you trying to catch that Stantler? You know a pokéball won't work on a fully-grown Stantler without weakening it in battle first, right?”

“Of course I do,” Milo replied, trying to sound casual. “I was... I was just playin' around.”

Rena nodded, but Milo couldn't tell if she bought it or not. The two teens and Fawkes continued to walk down the dirt road silently, as though Milo's bizarre behavior had transformed the entire trip into one long, awkward encounter.

Milo was too embarrassed about his attempt to capture his first pocket monster to say anything, and he feared Rena felt the same way. He thought back to when Bryce had revealed his two monsters to him in the Pokémon Center the day before. Milo shuddered at the memory of the towering, slithering snake and the jagged, angry-looking rock creature.

And he remembered Bryce saying that Milo's Vulpix wouldn't stand a chance against his beasts. Deep down, Milo agreed, although it infuriated him to do so. He knew his only chance to get better would be to get stronger Pokémon, but if he needed to weaken them in order to capture them, he was stuck. How would he ever manage to weaken a super-strong monster when all he had was Fawkes and Shinx?

“So, Milo,” Rena said, interrupting Milo's thoughts and the silence. “I gotta ask... Have you ever caught a wild Pokémon before? I notice Fawkes is the only one you have, and surely she wasn't born in the wild, was she?”

Milo stared up at Rena, not knowing what to say. He wanted her to think he was just as interesting of a traveling partner as Bryce, but he was sure that she was sensing his inexperience and didn't want her to think he was a liar.

“Uh, sure I have,” he said, deciding the stick to his guns. “And Fawkes isn't my only monster. Here, lemme show you.”

Milo nervously rifled through his backpack until he found the old, scratched and tarnished pokéball Mr. Jacobs had given him. He tossed it down on the ground and Shinx materialized at his feet.

“Whoa, what's that?!” Rena asked, gawking at the furry cub. She instinctively took out her notepad, even though she didn't look like she knew what she was going to write.

“This is Shinx,” he replied, and Rena instantly began writing.

“Shinx? I've never seen a Pokémon like this before! Can you do that thing you do with your phone again?”

“Oh, uh... sure,” Milo said. He again pointed his cell phone down at Shinx and clicked a button.

The monster you have identified is a baby Lynxalis Electrosis

Common Name: Shinx
Height: 1'8”
Weight: 22lbs

Shinx are the first of three life stages that the Lynxalis Electrosis
undergo. The young cubs are defined by their bright blue
fur and large, yellow eyes.

As Shinx mature into their 'Luxio' and 'Luxray' stages of life, their
fur begins to darken, and they begin to grow a long, black mane
around their faces.

Shinx are indigenous to the country of Sinnoh, and are not known
to be living in Kanto in the wild. Even overseas, Shinx are rare
and normally live in the mountains. Their thick furry coats
help them survive the cold climates.

They are highly sought after by humans because of their ability
to use static electricity as protection and as a method for
hunting food. The fibrous hairs of its fur collect static energy
from the air and allows Shinx to release it in the form of electric
shocks to stun its opponents.​

Rena feverishly scribbled down every word that Milo's Pokédex gave on Shinx. Finally, she looked down at the furry creature, gave an expression of admiration and bent down to pet him.

“Careful,” Milo warned, thinking of the shock Shinx had given his mother. “I wouldn't get too close to him, if I were you. He's not like Fawkes... he doesn't seem to like being touched.”

But to Milo's amazement, Shinx sniffed Rena's outstretched hand for a few seconds before apparently deciding she was trustworthy and allowed her to scratch him underneath his ears and chin. Shinx purred loudly and proceeded to rub himself up lovingly against her legs as she crouched and giggled.

“What a cutey!” she said. “Where did you say you caught him? Your phone says Shinxes don't live anywhere in Kanto.”

“Um... well, yeah,” he stammered, his mind racing to come up with another fib. “My... family took a vacation last summer to Sinnoh. Got lucky I guess. We were hiking in the mountains and we came across Shinx here. Caught him on my first try.”

“Wow,” Rena said, looking impressed. “So, Fawkes and Shinx, huh? Do you have any other Pokémon you haven't shown me?”

Milo forced a nervous chuckle.

“I have plenty of Pokémon back at home,” he lied. “But when I decided to join the competition, I wanted to start fresh, ya know? Wanted to catch all new ones and go through the entire process and see them grow.”

Rena wrote down what Milo had said in her notebook. Milo didn't know what to think of this, but surmised that it must be a good sign.

As the group continued down the road for what seemed like hours and hours, Milo's feet began to ache even more. The dirt path ahead looked as though it stretched on endlessly. Clover Ridge was no where in sight. Fawkes was also looking sluggish as she lagged behind, no longer willing to happily sniff the flowers and chase small insects through the grass.

“We're almost there, I think,” Rena said, who was still very peppy and enthused but had apparently noticed the others obvious fatigue. “Only a few more miles to the edge of the city.”

Milo opened up his backpack once again, retrieving some of the food capsules he had brought for Fawkes and Shinx.

“Hungry guys?” he asked.

Fawkes barked desperately, standing up on her hind legs to beg. Shinx, who wasn't as exhausted as his counterpart, still looked eager for food as well.

Milo chuckled. He was starving as well, and amid all the rush and excitement he had experienced so far on his journey, he realized he hadn't eaten anything substantial since his visit to the restaurant in Viridian City the day before. He briefly wondered what Fawkes' food capsules tasted like, but thought better of it. He tossed the two capsules down onto the ground in front of his two monsters.

Fawkes and Shinx eagerly ran up to devour the food, but a sudden whooshing sound and a blur of black and red zoomed in front of them. Startled, everyone looked around, trying to see what had happened.

“Did you see that!? What was that?” Milo said.

Rena nodded, a mixed expression of curiosity and fear on her face. There was no sign of whatever it was that had whizzed by them, though.

After a few seconds, Fawkes again began to whine. Milo looked down and realized that the two food capsules he had dropped were now suddenly gone.

Confused, Milo reached into his pocket once again and dropped two more capsules at the feet of Fawkes and Shinx. Wagging her tails, Fawkes lunged at the food, but once again...

ZOOM!

The black and red blur zipped past the two Pokémon once again, this time from the opposite direction, and once again stole their food in one fell swoop before speeding out of sight.

By this time, Milo's Pokémon were furious. Neon blue sparks were emanating from Shinx's body and his eyes were narrowed as he tried to scan the area for whatever had snatched their lunch.

And Fawkes looked angrier and more vicious than Milo had ever seen her. Normally-mild mannered and sweet, the Vulpix was growling loudly, baring her teeth. And most shockingly, Milo saw that puffs of smoke were now coming out of Fawkes' mouth and ears like an overheated car.

“Something's watching us,” Rena said nervously. “Whatever it is, it's stealing their food.”

“Yeah, and it's really freaking fast whatever it is,” Milo replied.

The group continued to scan the tall grass and stare up into the tall trees, trying to catch a glimpse of anything black or red, but they couldn't see anything aside from the peaceful nature all around. They still had the eerie feeling, however, that whatever had been pilfering their food was still watching them from somewhere.

This gave Milo an idea.

“Shinx,” he said, as though he thought the Pokémon could understand him. “I'm going to throw food down onto the ground one more time. When that thing flies in to take it, you shock it with your electricity.”

Shinx didn't look like he had understood, as he continued to locate the thief in the grass. But Milo hoped his Pokémon had gotten the message as he once again prepared to toss some food on the ground.

“Fawkes, you stand behind me,” he said, ushering his Vulpix a safe distance from Shinx. “I don't want you getting hurt again.”

Rena took cover behind Milo as well and placed her hand bracingly on his shoulder in preparation for Shinx's electric shock. This obviously got Milo's attention, and suddenly he felt as though this mission was among the most important ever in the history of the world. It was time to defeat whoever this food thief was.

“All right, ready, Shinx?”

He tossed the food on the ground yet again and waited for Shinx to electrocute their thief.

After a few seconds of anxious silence, it happened again. It was like slow motion as Milo saw the black blur come screaming out of a tree and fly towards them.

Milo looked at Shinx, but to his horror, the electrified monster had his back turned to the mysterious creature, still trying to locate it.

“Shinx! Behind you!” Milo yelled out. But he knew the thief would be too fast for Shinx to react in time. It looked like once again, the strange black and red creature would snatch their food and get away.

But suddenly, much to Milo's utter amazement, he saw Fawkes zoom past him and leap towards the food pellet on the ground. The Vulpix was moving faster than Milo had ever seen. She was her own brown blur speeding towards the black and red one, and the two met at fallen morsel of Vulpix food.

“Fawkes!” Milo screamed, fearing that she was about to land herself in the hospital once again.

But with the speed of a lightning strike, something that looked like small ball of orange fire exploded out of Fawkes' mouth and struck the black blur head on.

Fawkes landed harmlessly on the ground next to Shinx, scampered up to the food capsule and devoured it in one motion, looking as happy as could be to finally eat something. Her tails were wagging and she had a pleased expression on her face.

Milo stood with his mouth hanging wide open in awe of what Fawkes had done. He stared down at the fallen thief lying motionless on the dirt road. Vulpix had completely incapacitated it with her first flame attack.

The stunned creature was a red and black feathered bird with a sharp, jagged beak and sharp, strong-looking talons.

“Hey, it's a Spearow,” Rena said, looking down at it.

“Is it dead?” Milo asked.

“No it's just stunned I think. Look, you can see it's still breathing. Fawkes weakened it pretty good, though.”

Milo tried to look like he had expected Fawkes to do what she had done, but it was difficult to hide his amazement.

Suddenly, Milo realized his opportunity. The Spearow at his feet had been defeated by Fawkes, but before that, had exhibited impressive speed during its swooping attacks. Milo reached in his backpack again and took out one of the empty pokéballs.

“Great job, Fawkes,” Rena said, bending down to pet the satisfied Vulpix.

“Yeah,” was all Milo could manage to say. He was still a little shocked by his pet's outburst, but tried to compose himself.

He tossed the pokéball down at the Spearow, trying his best to hide the overwhelming feeling of excitement dancing in his stomach. As a bright flash of red light exploded out of the ball, Milo smiled.

“Guess you were really hungry, weren't you, Fawkes?”

_________
to be continued....

Well thanks for reading. If you wouldn't mind leaving a few thoughts or suggestions as feedback, I'd GREATLY appreciate it! :)

Re: Pocket Monsters (6)

Damn, Milo keeps digging himself deeper and deeper doesn't he? It wouldn't hurt to tell the truth once in a while.

Good chapter overall. The scene on the TV was a little anticlimactic, but I'm sure it's important. You managed to fit a lot in here without making the chapter too long. My guess is that the first badge coin keeper is in a cave (somewhere without a sunrise). Clever little riddle there. Looking forward to more.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom