• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pocket Monsters Special Merchandise?

NeoKING

空前絶後
Reaction score
Okay, so when I was a kid, I remember winning a Pokemon Puzzle Set from the local roller skating rink's reward games. The thing about this puzzle was that when completed, it had an image of Yellow and Pika from Pocket Monsters Special looking at the moon. But I was a kid, I had no idea who Yellow was. So, I was wondering if there's other Pocket Monsters Special merchandise or any other puzzles like these around, and if anyone has anything non-manga related to PokeSpe?

Other than a DP bag sold on Netkun's website, I'm not sure on whether there was any other merchandise or not. For your puzzle set, was it official merchandise? It could be a bootleg.

Other than a DP bag sold on Netkun's website, I'm not sure on whether there was any other merchandise or not. For your puzzle set, was it official merchandise? It could be a bootleg.

I think it was a bootleg. That'd explain it. I was young, so I couldn't be sure, but I think "Pocket Monsters" was written in Chinese instead of Japanese katakana. And it was an image of Yellow and Pika staring at the moon with Yellow-saga Red in the background, I don't think there's ever been an illustration showing that in the actual manga. So yeah, it probably was a bootleg.

I have a bootleg deck of playing cards... most of the cards are anime clipart and badly recoloured Sugimori art, but ONE card has Red and Pika on it. That's the only Adventures/Special merch of any kind I've ever seen. I doubt anything official was ever made, tbh.

post a picture, that sounds cool!

scan0001-4.jpg

I think the artwork itself is bootleg (as is most of the art in this deck) but you can def tell it's supposed to be Red from Pokemon Adventures and not Red (game) or Ash Ketchum.

Haha another really weird card from this desk is part of the cover of a Suzukisan album. :S

Probably because the gag comic fits the sort of humor Ash would watch. Although I'm surprised they didn't squeeze in MPJ as what May watched. The Hill of the Lone Star Tree would have made a perfect tragic romance movie.

Only thing I've seen that's remotely to do with Special is when Hasbro released Pokémon figure sets a while ago (With 2 figures and a Master Ball), the Master Ball's top lid was transparent and you could see through it, whereas in all other media, the top half of Pokéballs have always been a solid purple colour - even later Pokéball toys have it that way.

So whether the transparency was a subtle nod to Special, or just put there for little kids to see what Pokémon is inside their Pokéballs, I dunno. Probably the latter though.

Okay, so when I was a kid, I remember winning a Pokemon Puzzle Set from the local roller skating rink's reward games. The thing about this puzzle was that when completed, it had an image of Yellow and Pika from Pocket Monsters Special looking at the moon. But I was a kid, I had no idea who Yellow was. So, I was wondering if there's other Pocket Monsters Special merchandise or any other puzzles like these around, and if anyone has anything non-manga related to PokeSpe?

Do you still have the puzzle? If so, could you try posting a pic of it or of the box it came in? I'd love to see it!

Do you still have the puzzle? If so, could you try posting a pic of it or of the box it came in? I'd love to see it!

I don't still have it and it didn't come in a box. The board was laminated in plastic with the puzzle already completed.

My brother had a shiny card with what I now realize was Red's party. I had another shiny card, but I forgot what it was (it was the "cute" card out of the pair, naturally). I don't remember why or where we got them. I don't know where they are now either.

...they might have been like Candle Cove, an Eldritch Abomination in the form of kid-friendly media.

We also had the mega-ultra-super-rare-and-quite-legal Spanish translation of one of the rounds :XD2:

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom