• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters Special Preview

I wonder if this means Lucario will get a Gigantamax form too, since practically every teaser has showcased Ash's Lucario and Cinderace fighting side by side against Eternatus.
i’ll cry if this happens because i want lucario to have a special form not a terrible gigantimax form. Plus pikachu already has it

That brings up question. How come we never dynamxed in the Eternatus battle? I mean I get it was supposed to basically be the Armor pups time to shine, but you'd think it'd be the perfect time for a kaiju battle
I have a few guesses as to why:

Guess #1: Eternatus had absorbed all the Dynamax energy of Galar into itself to enter its Eternamax form, so the entire mechanic may have been temporarily disabled for the whole region during that battle.

Guess #2: They were fighting atop a roof that unlike Rose Tower wasn't confirmed to be able to sustain a Dynamaxed Pokémon and presumably nobody wanted to risk destroying it and sending everyone plummeting to their deaths.

Guess #3: Leon had already used up the Dynamax energy on his Charizard when he was battling Eternatus, meaning there wasn't anything left for Hop or the Player Character to use.

Of course, these guesses are for the games only and may not mean anything for how the anime will handle things. Maybe Ash and/or Goh will use Dynamax to battle Eternatus or maybe this battle will stay faithful to the games. If the latter, it's possible the anime will provide an explanation for the lack of Dynamax during the Eternatus battle.

This looks awesome. Yeah, its come sooner than expected, but I think they still did the bare minimum for building it up. We got a cameo of eternatus, rose (where Ash and Goh saw him) and a rundown of the DD plot by Sonia herself. It was pretty weak in the games, so I'm keen to see how they can improve upon it here.

One thing I'm really looking forward to is the characterisation of Rose. He was probably the worst villain we've had in a main series pokemon game with such flimsy motivations and sloppy execution. He comes across as a normal guy, then does a 180 at the end and starts going on about the DD, even though its a problem in 1000 years from now? (haven't seen the story in a while, so my bad if I missed some details). It was such a step down from Gen 7 for example. However, here he seems genuinely creepy/unsettling from the get-go. He seems more deluded and convicted in his motivations, and I like how they're really doubling down on his obsession with saving Galar's future - no matter what sacrifices must be made. Here's hoping they explain the 'why' a lot better, and give Eternatus a more clear backstory.

Really excited to see Ash and Goh splitting up, with Ash battling alongside Leon (strengthening their bond) and Goh researching with Sonia (which suits him better character-wise). This really makes each character stand out and help out in the conflict, whereas in Sun&Moon a lot of classmates felt like they were just tagging along in the major conflicts. Glad that Raihan's showing up here too, since his appearance left much to be desired in his debut in episode 27. Galar has some great characters, but they didn't get much screentime in the SS games. Here, I'm excited to see them get the spotlight they deserve, and recurring ones we've seen already (Leon and Bea) are shaping up to be some of my favourites.

Overall, this arc looks promising and a nice break from all the Goh-centered episodes we've been getting these past few months. They have a lot of potential to do SS story justice, and from what we've seen so far, it looks like they're playing their cards right.

Last edited:
That brings up question. How come we never dynamxed in the Eternatus battle? I mean I get it was supposed to basically be the Armor pups time to shine, but you'd think it'd be the perfect time for a kaiju battle
I have a few guesses as to why:

Guess #1: Eternatus had absorbed all the Dynamax energy of Galar into itself to enter its Eternamax form, so the entire mechanic may have been temporarily disabled for the whole region during that battle.

Guess #2: They were fighting atop a roof that unlike Rose Tower wasn't confirmed to be able to sustain a Dynamaxed Pokémon and presumably nobody wanted to risk destroying it and sending everyone plummeting to their deaths.

Guess #3: Leon had already used up the Dynamax energy on his Charizard when he was battling Eternatus, meaning there wasn't anything left for Hop or the Player Character to use.

Of course, these guesses are for the games only and may not mean anything for how the anime will handle things. Maybe Ash and/or Goh will use Dynamax to battle Eternatus or maybe this battle will stay faithful to the games. If the latter, it's possible the anime will provide an explanation for the lack of Dynamax during the Eternatus battle.
Leon explicitly states in the games that some power of Eternatus prevented his team from Dynamaxing. So it's the first option.

Leon explicitly states in the games that some power of Eternatus prevented his team from Dynamaxing. So it's the first option.
Ah, right. I didn't remember that.
Just one flaw to this. We see G-Max Meowth atop the same roof so it's not a question of structural stability and there is at least some amount of Energy around the tower for that to happen.
...Well, I did say in my post that my guesses only applied to the games and that the anime was bound to take liberties. Besides, I've already been told that the reason for lack of Dyanamx in the games was guess #1.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom