• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
The staff will never get death threats. Western fans consistently refuse to learn their names, let alone know anything about how to go about contacting these people.

I think we can avoid making insulting generalizations on western fans. I'd prefer for the conversation to not go down that road of belittling western fans.

Some of the fans certainly had no issues complaining to Akemi Omode on Twitter when their Amourshipping fantasies didn't come true.

I still remember that whole fiasco. That was quite strange to say the least.

I wonder if the trials would work the same in the anime as they do in the games? Maybe some minor differences?

I could see them adding more battle elements to the trials, maybe even having more than one person competing at the same time. Assuming, of course, trials will indeed be a thing in the anime.

Really, the one thing that's really drawing me to Sun and Moon, both anime and games, is that its entering new territory and I've little idea what to really expect. Going through the Pokemon seasons, from AG all the way to XY, I knew from the start that each season would follow the same structure and the same storyline - arrival, meet companions, travel, gyms, fillers, league, new region. But for Sun and Moon, who really knows where things are going.

I imagine that the trials will be in the show. That seems to be a pretty significant part of the games and I don't think that they'd pass up on Ash trying a different kind of quest. They could change them up a bit to include more battles, but it's kind of hard to say for sure either way when we still don't know what each trial entails.

Pokenchi showed some new clips from the Sun and Moon anime.

- Ash happily shows off his Z-Ring thing to that Totem Pokemon.
- Ash rides through the waters on a Sharpedo.
- Rowlet has a blush like face while it's in the air.
- Samson Oak makes some Pokemon impressions with his face and Ash and the green haired girl make an unamused face.
- The fire type trainer that Ash goes to school with commands his tortoise Pokemon to use a Fire Z-Move.
- Ash runs through a forest with his Pikachu and the same fire type guy and a Popplio are following Ash.

Last edited:
Damn, Kiawe's Turtonator using Inferno Overdrive was epic as hell. It looked better than that small clip of Pikachu using Gigavolt Havoc from the other trailer. Man I want to see more Z-Moves.

Also, Sampson Oak's Eevee face was actually pretty cute.

Ash is still 10, but he looks even younger than in X/Y (or, for that matter, any other series). Do they want to change the art style again?

I doubt that. They would have been planning ahead for the Sun and Moon anime long before the Kalos League aired, and I'm sure that most major staffing roles were already decided. I also doubt that he would base his career decisions upon the empty threats of a tiny minority of immature fans (not that I'm aware of any actual death threats being made in this instance).
I don't know about kalos legaue, but Sun and Moon project is already begin since last year.

The facial expressions the characters make look ridiculous in my opinion. Ash's animation still looks bad. Don't know what they are thinking changing the show into this.

The facial expressions the characters make look ridiculous in my opinion. Ash's animation still looks bad. Don't know what they are thinking changing the show into this.
Hm, pretty great opinion for someone who know nothing about animation lol.

They're trying to compete with Yo-Kai Watch! to win back their target demographic. Apparently, the only way the writers know how to do this is to make the Anime as much like Yo-Kai Watch! as possible. I don't blame them for doing this, as having any show steal your old ratings by such a significant amount is bad for any show. However, they could have easily let Ash win the Kalos League so they could use a new protagonist instead of alienating the fans outside of the target demographic by making them fear another Best Wishes due to the sudden genre change.

They are trying to get their ratings back up, but the fact that the writers keep pulling these stunts are the reason why the Pokémon Anime currently doesn't have the greatest ratings: they aren't letting any of the main characters achieve their dreams! If anything, this would cause even casual viewers to turn away if they know that nothing will ever happen in terms of the main character's progress towards his goal. These writers might want to rethink the way they do these things.

Also, there still hasn't been anything said about traveling around Alola, which I think isn't the best idea since the show has always been about adventure up until now.

Here in this video he makes some good points about Pokemon Sun and Moon anime animation.

They're trying to compete with Yo-Kai Watch! to win back their target demographic. Apparently, the only way the writers know how to do this is to make the Anime as much like Yo-Kai Watch! as possible. I don't blame them for doing this, as having any show steal your old ratings by such a significant amount is bad for any show. However, they could have easily let Ash win the Kalos League so they could use a new protagonist instead of alienating the fans outside of the target demographic by making them fear another Best Wishes due to the sudden genre change.

I'm not sure if getting a new protagonist would have instantly solved the issue. Long time fans would have been happy, but they aren't focusing on appealing to long time fans. They are focused on appealing to kids for better or for worse. That has always been the case. Besides that, there still would have been some backlash for the decision and it's far too late to reasonably consider replacing Ash. Replacing the main lead after nearly two decades would be a pretty bad move marketing wise.

Kallyle said:
They are trying to get their ratings back up, but the fact that the writers keep pulling these stunts are the reason why the Pokémon Anime currently doesn't have the greatest ratings: they aren't letting any of the main characters achieve their dreams! If anything, this would cause even casual viewers to turn away if they know that nothing will ever happen in terms of the main character's progress towards his goal. These writers might want to rethink the way they do these things.

Well I don't know if that's why the ratings have been down mainly due to the characters not accomplishing their dreams on screen isn't a new development. That has always been the case. And just because they don't reach their end goal doesn't mean that the characters don't make some accomplishments or progress during their journeys. I can understand not liking that we don't see the characters achieve their dreams, but I don't think that would significantly hurt the show's performance. Ratings are kind of tricky in that there's usually more than one reason as to why they're up or down, so I don't think I'd put all of the blame on that aspect of the show, especially when it's been clear for ages that Ash is going to keep traveling to different regions regardless of his ranks in the Leagues.

Kallyle said:
Also, there still hasn't been anything said about traveling around Alola, which I think isn't the best idea since the show has always been about adventure up until now.

I'm pretty sure that the show will still be about having adventures. They've been focusing on the school aspect since it's a gimmick that does get people interested in the anime, or at least talking about it, and for early preview information, having a gimmick aspect is quite helpful. Plus, if the early reviews for the games are any indication, this could be based off the tutorial section where the player character goes to a school, so that would make it even more likely that it's just a temporary setting. It's highly unlikely, if not impossible, for the whole series to be about Ash going to school. The Island Trials require him to move to different island and going on a journey is always going to be a key aspect to the franchise. I don't think that's going to change even with the focus on the school setting here.

Well said by Tsu some time back. Ash is a 10 year-old boy, and he should act like that most of the time. Come on, he's out exploring a new region and he has every right to be excited. He has drive, exuberance and perseverance in his spirit. I am going to be optimistic,
the writers know that a bar has been set by XY/ XY&Z and are surely going to give us cool battles and interesting developments.
I am also a fan of underdogs, so if Ash is affected by slapstick, who cares? I'll root for him even more!

Samson Oak looks like he'll be a fun character to have around, and I like what more we got to see of our new main cast. Kiawe and Mallow seem like they'll be pretty stand out ones so far. Ash can be as goofy as he wants also, but I just hope he won't forget everything he did in Kalos...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom