• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still wanna give this a try, but my expectations get lower and lower each day for this. Trying to convince myself it may be good, that Lillie may not be a Mary-Sue, and that it could be what the anime needed to rebound after Ash losing teh League again......these trailers and previews are only scaring me off.

I still wanna give this a try, but my expectations get lower and lower each day for this. Trying to convince myself it may be good, that Lillie may not be a Mary-Sue, and that it could be what the anime needed to rebound after Ash losing teh League again......these trailers and previews are only scaring me off.

I'm with you. I'm trying to have faith, but that faith is slowly slipping away. I'm going to give it a chance by watching a few episodes, but the previews and trailers are only making me more and more worried and disheartened.

Samson Oak looks like he'll be a fun character to have around, and I like what more we got to see of our new main cast. Kiawe and Mallow seem like they'll be pretty stand out ones so far. Ash can be as goofy as he wants also, but I just hope he won't forget everything he did in Kalos...
Not to mention, it looks like mallow has a crush on ash

I'm with you. I'm trying to have faith, but that faith is slowly slipping away. I'm going to give it a chance by watching a few episodes, but the previews and trailers are only making me more and more worried and disheartened.
How so? This looks like a fun series! I don't see what's wrong with it. What? Is it illegal for the anime to have fun? I do agree however that the fact that it's a slapstick adventure could make the viewer a little nervous. Good thing you're going to give it a chance

Is there going to be a Pokemon Series where a character doesn't have a crush on Ash? This has been one of the status quo's. Ash goes to a region, and there will be at least one girl that wants to have some sort of affairs with him.

Is there going to be a Pokemon Series where a character doesn't have a crush on Ash? This has been one of the status quo's. Ash goes to a region, and there will be at least one girl that wants to have some sort of affairs with him.
Yeah, but right away? Other female characters have been with ash for quite a while before developing a so-called crush. But this seems to be right off the bat for mallow. Of course, I can only assume that they're showing us the first few episodes in the trailers.

Yeah, but right away? Other female characters have been with ash for quite a while before developing a so-called crush. But this seems to be right off the bat for mallow. Of course, I can only assume that they're showing us the first few episodes in the trailers.

Right-away crush on Ash? Now who does that remind me of? Let me think........oh yeah, SERENA!!

How so? This looks like a fun series! I don't see what's wrong with it. What? Is it illegal for the anime to have fun? I do agree however that the fact that it's a slapstick adventure could make the viewer a little nervous. Good thing you're going to give it a chance

No, it's not illegal for an anime to have fun. But when it becomes over-saturated with things like excessive slapstick and character abuse, then it becomes more like a cartoon and loses any original charm. I have nothing against cartoons or slapstick, as I have may old favorites like Ed, Edd, n' Eddy and Looney Toons, but cartoons and anime should keep their style of humor separate. I liked XY Ash because he can be both fun and serious when the situation calls for it. But reducing him to where he's almost a comedy prop, then that's where I cross the line. I know he's been attacked by Pokemon for comedy in the past, but those days are well over, and Ash's character has evolved way past that. I'm especially concerned because he looks like his intelligence and competence is about to take another hit like in BW, becoming more child-like and overly animated about everything. If anything, this feels like yet another BW-style reboot, which was another series I avoided like the plague. Like I said, I'm going to give it a chance, which, with me, means watching the first 8-10 episodes before giving it a final judgement, but I'm concerned because even the official description calls it non-stop comedy. Like I said, anime can have fun at any given point, but only if it can handle it safely and not make it into a major problem through over-saturation. Samurai Pizza Cats, for example, could handle that kind of excessive comedy, as the show was purposely designed for it (plus the English version got bad, if not non-existent, translations, so they had to wing it), but Pokemon is not like that. So that's what's got me worried. I'll give it my usual 8-10 episode window for judgement, but if it fails to impress me or confirms my fears, then it'll be the second time I'll avoid the anime since BW.

I liked XY Ash because he can be both fun and serious when the situation calls for it.
Eh...XY Ash is many things but fun...isn't exactly how I'd describe him.

To me, XY Ash felt like the writers were so desperate to erase his overly wacky self from BW by appeasing to fans and making Ash super badass and glorified in XY (as a result, the entire group of XY admires Ash so much - a girl has a crush on him and always looks to Ash's pearls of wisdom, the nerd wishes to be like him, and the nerd's little sister wishes her brother could be like Ash). XY Ash is all about battling and being competent and the writers don't even bother to hide that, going as far to make XY Ash superior to every single character in the series (the exceptions being the Champion and the obligatory League trainer).

XY Ash felt super generic and boring to me because it felt like the writers were so focused on showing us just how amazing Ash is that they complete disregarded all other aspects of his character. As a result, we wound up with a hollow shell of a character that Ash used to be.

Last edited:
Right-away crush on Ash? Now who does that remind me of? Let me think........oh yeah, SERENA!!
Not quite. Serena wanted to find ash, because of what he did when she was little. Later on she developed this crush. So no, no one had a right away crush on ash. Mallow would be the first one if that was indeed the case.

I'm especially concerned because he looks like his intelligence and competence is about to take another hit like in BW, becoming more child-like and overly animated about everything.

That's nothing to do with competence or intelligence though. That's about expression and the way this season is choosing to express character emotion. It's perfectly possible for Ash to be a competent trainer while still being an expressive and excitable person - one doesn't have to exclude the other.

Not quite. Serena wanted to find ash, because of what he did when she was little. Later on she developed this crush. So no, no one had a right away crush on ash. Mallow would be the first one if that was indeed the case.

I am afraid you may be mistaken. Finding Ash is the reason she went on her journey, so yes, she did have a crush right off the bat.

That's nothing to do with competence or intelligence though. That's about expression and the way this season is choosing to express character emotion. It's perfectly possible for Ash to be a competent trainer while still being an expressive and excitable person - one doesn't have to exclude the other.

There is a difference between expressing character emotion in a healthy manner and in a unhealthy manner. Ash has shown during several gens (AG, DP, and XY) that he can express his youthful fascination and character very clearly while not going overboard and still be competent. Here, he's not showing any of the latter two, only showing the youthfulness of his personality. Yes, he is a youthful and curious character, but he has also shown that he can be serious when prompted. Here, I'm not seeing any of that, just over-animated excitement and energy. Here, he's acting more like a young child who is just started exploring the world compared to someone who has traveled through six regions and gained tremendous experience over time. Yes, I know, he IS a child, but if anything he's proven to be mature enough that he can handle the various misadventures he encounters. It's, again, like what happened between DP and BW, where everything he had worked so hard for and the character he had become just vanished into thin air, which makes me wonder if TV Tokyo or whoever learned anything from BW. It's another reboot, where all of Ash's progress from the past gets hit by the reset button and his mentality gets hit by the dum-dum ray. Again, I'm going to give in the 8-10 episode window for judgement and hope I'm wrong, but my faith has been shaken with the complete 180 transition from XY to SM.

Ok wait, what now?
1. How so? She grabs his hand to drag him off somewhere, demonstrating absolutely no hint of a crush that I can see. Physical contact doesn't always equal sexual attraction.
2. ...And this character is almost exclusively a throwaway CotD/arc, barring Serena.

I am not expecting (and strongly hoping I'm right) for there to be more of a romance angle in this saga than the previous.

There is a difference between expressing character emotion in a healthy manner and in a unhealthy manner. Ash has shown during several gens (AG, DP, and XY) that he can express his youthful fascination and character very clearly while not going overboard and still be competent. Here, he's not showing any of the latter two, only showing the youthfulness of his personality. Yes, he is a youthful and curious character, but he has also shown that he can be serious when prompted. Here, I'm not seeing any of that, just over-animated excitement and energy.

Where is he going overboard, though? He's in a tropical paradise and having a good time. His reactions to all the new stimuli are perfectly in character.

For that matter, which parts of these previews suggests he's incompetent? Isn't it the opposite? In one shot he's learning how to do a Z-Move, the next he's pulling it off already. "He can be serious when prompted" - why wouldn't he be in Sun and Moon? Look at that shot of him running through the woods without his hat - is he not serious there? The one of him doing the Z-Move has him being serious. If he's confronted by Team Skull, do you think he wouldn't react seriously?

Here, he's acting more like a young child who is just started exploring the world compared to someone who has traveled through six regions and gained tremendous experience over time. Yes, I know, he IS a child, but if anything he's proven to be mature enough that he can handle the various misadventures he encounters.

When Ash first landed in Lumiose City, his reaction was to firstly beg Alexa to call up her sister so he could have a gym battle, complain when he couldn't get one, run around the city excitedly calling out the names of Pokemon he had already seen, then challenge a gym with zero preparation and knowledge. So let's not pretend Sun and Moon is suddenly making a drastic departure from his character.

It's, again, like what happened between DP and BW, where everything he had worked so hard for and the character he had become just vanished into thin air, which makes me wonder if TV Tokyo or whoever learned anything from BW. It's another reboot, where all of Ash's progress from the past gets hit by the reset button and his mentality gets hit by the dum-dum ray. Again, I'm going to give in the 8-10 episode window for judgement and hope I'm wrong, but my faith has been shaken with the complete 180 transition from XY to SM.

Neither BW or SM are reboots. BW opens up with a shot of all of Ash's gym badges and trophies, therefore marking it a direct continuation of DP. Similarly, Sun and Moon will be a direct continuation of XYZ.

Maybe this deserves its own thread but in my view nothing about Ash's character has changed from Johto all the way to Kalos. The only thing that's really changed, and is always changing, even within the same season, is how good he is at battles and that's because he's only as competent as the writers allow him to be.

Not really. She's just showing him around in one scene and looking happy to see him entering the classroom. That doesn't really translate into a crush and they were much more clear on Serena's crush when they were promoting XY as well. It's just a bit of a conclusion to jump to without really any solid evidence.

Here, he's not showing any of the latter two, only showing the youthfulness of his personality. .
And successfully using a brand new mechanic, Z-moves, allowing Pikachu to use Gigavolt Havoc.

But let's ignore that part and focus on Ash being silly so we can call him incompetent.

You both realize that this argument is going nowhere fast. It's obvious that neither side is going to win this. Though to be honest, your arguments are actually making LESS likely to give the anime a chance, since you have failed to prove anything to me, and making it seem WORSE in my eyes. But let's just end this here and now, as it's obvious that we're going around in circles, trying and failing to convince the other whose right and whose wrong. I'm still going to give it a chance, so be thankful for that. But my opinion is just as valid as yours, and my opinion is that the anime appears to be heading down the wrong path. If it proves me wrong, then so be it, and if it proves me right, so be it as well. But let's end this before we waste anymore forum data over a matter of opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom