• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, i mean Delia is registering Ash to that school, just like parent do that on normal school. If money do exist there, maybe Delia is paying the money for attending in that school or something like that

What if Ash was offered a Scholarship? It's possible after all, considering Ash's accomplishments.

I don't see the issue with Ash looking "too old" in XY, considering he has been traveling though seven regions now, and a few years has most definitely passed in that span of time. I suppose the new art style is just what it is: a new art style, but it's pretty jarring in comparison to the last few series and only makes Ash look like he turned younger. It doesn't help that the other human characters look about the same as with the older styles.

Granted the anime apparently doesn't even acknowledge the fact that a few years have passed, so I guess the concept of aging is non-existent in that universe. This would be less of an issue if the anime introduced new protagonists for each region like the games and manga did, and not reuse the same one every time.

@Misty-Moo Mind to tell you, I always acknowledged the very fact that Pokemon Anime had ALWAYS been aimed at children, XY and XY&Z sagas are also no exception.
Do you understand, that the overall tone and atmosphere shall make a show more appealing to other audience demographics, regardless of the art style?

Example, Detective Conan broadcast also at the afternoon Golden Hour period similar to Pokemon Anime (Just different day of the week), where during that time young children from school can easily tune in and watch them. But, it is not necessarily "appropriate" shows for preteen children, because it is being a mystery anime where every week there is death of victim of some murder incident, and the protagonist group is to solve the mystery. Yet, this animes always in the Weekly Top 10 View Rate list.
I'm not exactly sure what is the actual audience demographic of Detective Conan, but it is definitely favoured by many older audience as well.
BTW, the other anime that are airing also during 17:00~19:00 recently in Japan time in weekdays includes Yokai Watch, Gintama, Doraemon, YuGiOh, My Hero Academia, Saint Seiya, Aikatsu Stars, K-On!, Precure, Pripara, Beyblade, etc. By theories, these are the animes that has the exact same audience demographic as Pokemon Anime.
But why many (if not all) are welcomed not only by their intended children demographic, but also older demographic that were outside the intended target audience of the broadcaster? Or alternatively, some are unwelcome by the intended children demographic, but welcomed by the older demographic that were not intended by the broadcaster.

I'll not going to give exact answer here. You may figure it yourself.

I definitely like the way Ash is drawn on this new page of information better than the way he was drawn on the original poster. It looks more like the Ash I've been watching over the past 20 years.
I'm guessing that the way he was drawn on the poster was possibly supposed to be an indication that when he performs the Z-move he feels that he looks silly, hence the face that he is making.
I also notice that in the screenshots to the left of his picture, he does seem to be giving off the same vibe of being the serious, determined battler we've become used to over the years.
I'm trying my best, here, to not make any hard decisions about how I'm going to feel about the new series until I actually start watching it.

@クリスタル - my apologies, I obviously wasn't clear enough in my last post, so let me spell it out to you.
I do not wish to discuss this matter with you any further because there is absolutely no point, please do not communicate with me in any way shape or form in the future, thank you.

@Misty-Moo No one ask you to reply to my post, and I also never expect anyone to reply to any of my response in any thread. If you don't want to discuss, you just simply don't quote nor mention me. I also didn't expect any discussion to be develop from my post.
But I take your 'courteous' notification of no contact for this time. I'll remember at the future to avoid your post.
Thank you for reading, and Kind Regards :)

So Delia and Oak are coming along on vacation like the beginning of BW, only this time Mime Jr is with them because they're allowed to acknowledge that old Pokemon exist. If Ash does stay at the school the whole series, or at least keeps coming back to it every now and then, maybe Delia/Oak will be recurring characters? Maybe they'll come to the league-equivalent like Kanto/Johto?

Why haven't we seen more of Team Rocket yet :mad:

If this ends up being a more light-hearted series compared to previous seasons, that's alright with me. As someone who watches the show mainly for the funny filler episodes (all the better if they involve Team Rocket), I'm hoping there'll be lots of fun content in this series. I've never been a particularly big fan of league episodes, so a school atmosphere, as odd as the idea is, will be sort of refreshing. I also have a soft spot for dorky Ash, it's kinda reminiscent of the original series.
As for the art style, I won't complain as long as Masaaki Iwane keeps working on some of the episodes.
I'm also stoked for Alola Meowth and how Team Rocket's gonna react to THAT bit of news...

@クリスタル - fine, I'll interpret the new trailer to indicate that the show is going to be the same as always, a fun adventure aimed at children and you interpret it in a completely different way

Being aimed at children does not equate to dumbing things down which to me (so far) is the impression this new art style gives me. The franchise encompasses kids who are now adults who may still take interest in the franchise with their own children. There really should be a balance there. I see Pokemon more as a family show than just a kid's show. Even if the demographic is for kids, XY proved that you can still tell a more mature storyline while staying within your target age range.

Yes, I do think we should all wait until we see a few episodes before judging too much but you can't blame anyone reacting negatively to the huge tone shift between generations.

While I agree that you can still tell a good mature storyline while staying within the target demographic, I don't know if what we have now for SM necessarily means that there is a huge tone shift between the generations. Design wise, it is a pretty jarring shift between different styles, but that doesn't sound like a tone shift, at least not necessarily. We know too little about the series to say that the tone shift will be that huge. We won't have something huge like Team Flare for awhile, but that would happen regardless of the art style simply due to how they'd need time to setup the new setting and characters.

Plus, this is still just jumping to conclusions and making assumptions based on little information and that does bother me a bit. Would anyone honestly think that XY would be that well received among older fans based on the first trailer with Ash? Not only did he fell off the stairs after proudly announcing himself to the people at the Kalos airport, but he also spent the first half of the first episode being too eager and impatient for a Gym battle. He basically was acting like a hyper ten year old boy and yet both Ash and the XY series as a whole has been praised quite a bit over its run. The same could easily happen with SM. It could just as easily turn out to be a disappointment, but I've seen too many people just assume way too much from just a poster and a thirty second trailer instead of actually giving the series a chance and see some episodes before judging it. I can understand people not liking the new art style and I agree that it's jarring, but using that as the primary evidence for why the series will be bad just rubs me the wrong way.

While I agree that you can still tell a good mature storyline while staying within the target demographic, I don't know if what we have now for SM necessarily means that there is a huge tone shift between the generations. Design wise, it is a pretty jarring shift between different styles, but that doesn't sound like a tone shift, at least not necessarily. We know too little about the series to say that the tone shift will be that huge. We won't have something huge like Team Flare for awhile, but that would happen regardless of the art style simply due to how they'd need time to setup the new setting and characters.

Plus, this is still just jumping to conclusions and making assumptions based on little information and that does bother me a bit. Would anyone honestly think that XY would be that well received among older fans based on the first trailer with Ash? Not only did he fell off the stairs after proudly announcing himself to the people at the Kalos airport, but he also spent the first half of the first episode being too eager and impatient for a Gym battle. He basically was acting like a hyper ten year old boy and yet both Ash and the XY series as a whole has been praised quite a bit over its run. The same could easily happen with SM. It could just as easily turn out to be a disappointment, but I've seen too many people just assume way too much from just a poster and a thirty second trailer instead of actually giving the series a chance and see some episodes before judging it. I can understand people not liking the new art style and I agree that it's jarring, but using that as the primary evidence for why the series will be bad just rubs me the wrong way.

I don't know about you, but I had hope for the XY series the moment I saw Ash in his Kalos design in the preview. There were concern about Ash acting hyperactive, but that didn't change what I thought about the XY design. Then I saw clips of the XY battles having no backdrops and using 3D perspective, which was an upgrade to what I saw in Best Wishes. Then I saw a preview clip of Ash standing on top of the Prism Tower looking badass than ever. And from that point on, I knew that my initial thoughts were vindicated. This Sun & Moon has yet to do anything similar other than reminding me of Studio Ghibli (but that only makes me wishing it had a different protagonist).

I don't know about you, but I had hope for the XY series the moment I saw Ash in his Kalos design in the preview. There were concern about Ash acting hyperactive, but that didn't change what I thought about the XY design. Then I saw clips of the XY battles having no backdrops and using 3D perspective, which was an upgrade to what I saw in Best Wishes. Then I saw a preview clip of Ash standing on top of the Prism Tower looking badass than ever. And from that point on, I knew that my initial thoughts were vindicated. This Sun & Moon has yet to do anything similar other than reminding me of Studio Ghibli (but that only makes me wishing it had a different protagonist).
How many trailer did you see that make you think XY series having significant change? I've been following Pokemon for a decades now, and XY series first trailer only show Ash come out from airplane and yelling, no change seen there. And if you see BW first trailer, it's even more dramatic than XY can provide. And from SM trailer, we can see animation quality got better (i admit there's some derp face there, but only a few) Look at that Z-Moves animation, look at Pikachu's quick attack, i don't see any bad animation at all. It's first trailer far than superior than XY if i can tell you

We know that Alola won't have a league so Ash doesn't have any gyms to compete in. Whether the trials would a good replacement is another matter.

How many trailer did you see that make you think XY series having significant change? I've been following Pokemon for a decades now, and XY series first trailer only show Ash come out from airplane and yelling, no change seen there. And if you see BW first trailer, it's even more dramatic than XY can provide. And from SM trailer, we can see animation quality got better (i admit there's some derp face there, but only a few) Look at that Z-Moves animation, look at Pikachu's quick attack, i don't see any bad animation at all. It's first trailer far than superior than XY if i can tell you

It wasn't the trailer that convinced me something was going to be different in XY. It was Ash's design that tipped me off. I look at this design and ask myself when did Ash look this cool before. Compare with his Unova outfit, it was clearly the superior design for me. Additionally, the design details is notably better, with fingernails and extra tuff of hair overlapping his ears. Combine with a more tighter outfit, Ash comes off looking old, taller and more battle athletic than his previous counterpart (plus he looks more like Red). When it comes to trailers, I wasn't devouring every little clip and teaser back then as I wasn't fully into Pokémon yet. What ultimately draws my interest was a preview clip featuring a badass-looking Froakie and Ash confronting a Garchomp on top of the tower. It looks epic and was not afraid to show damage. And Ash staring down the Garchomp really did cause me to gain respect for the kid.

The Black and White trailers had a sense of adventure and new Pokémon, and I admit I was kinda excited to see a badass Team Rocket (though I was confused about their change of personality) as well as the Team Plasma arc. But Ash's design kinda put me off as his pupils were much brighter and larger than before while the white and blue color scheme doesn't really look appealing to me (felt it should have used more of Hilbert's design). He felt too young and childish compare to his Diamond and Pearl self.

Well it comes to Sun and Moon, I had one thing in the back of my mind. What was Sun and Moon's presentation going to be in the games? What I remember is a Japanese boy moving to Hawaii, being homesick, but made new friends at school. And this is what Sun and Moon anime seems to be going for with it's school setting. This rubs me the wrong way as I've always stated that Ash is not that kind of person, especially after six regions of travel under his belt. Really, the Sun and Moon trailer was indeed great and I do like the premise. It's just that there is only one flaw in the entire trailer. A fatal one to boot. Instead of using a different and new character, it's trying to tell me that kid is Ash from XY&Z. And considering I just recently watched the Team Flare climax a few minutes ago, that rubs me the wrong way.

I shouldn't be making any judgement so soon, but I am simply not feeling optimistic about this premise (especially when I could come up with better scenarios at the top of my head).

It wasn't the trailer that convinced me something was going to be different in XY. It was Ash's design that tipped me off. I look at this design and ask myself when did Ash look this cool before. Compare with his Unova outfit, it was clearly the superior design for me. Additionally, the design details is notably better, with fingernails and extra tuff of hair overlapping his ears. Combine with a more tighter outfit, Ash comes off looking old, taller and more battle athletic than his previous counterpart (plus he looks more like Red). When it comes to trailers, I wasn't devouring every little clip and teaser back then as I wasn't fully into Pokémon yet. What ultimately draws my interest was a preview clip featuring a badass-looking Froakie and Ash confronting a Garchomp on top of the tower. It looks epic and was not afraid to show damage. And Ash staring down the Garchomp really did cause me to gain respect for the kid.

The Black and White trailers had a sense of adventure and new Pokémon, and I admit I was kinda excited to see a badass Team Rocket (though I was confused about their change of personality) as well as the Team Plasma arc. But Ash's design kinda put me off as his pupils were much brighter and larger than before while the white and blue color scheme doesn't really look appealing to me (felt it should have used more of Hilbert's design). He felt too young and childish compare to his Diamond and Pearl self.

Well it comes to Sun and Moon, I had one thing in the back of my mind. What was Sun and Moon's presentation going to be in the games? What I remember is a Japanese boy moving to Hawaii, being homesick, but made new friends at school. And this is what Sun and Moon anime seems to be going for with it's school setting. This rubs me the wrong way as I've always stated that Ash is not that kind of person, especially after six regions of travel under his belt. Really, the Sun and Moon trailer was indeed great and I do like the premise. It's just that there is only one flaw in the entire trailer. A fatal one to boot. Instead of using a different and new character, it's trying to tell me that kid is Ash from XY&Z. And considering I just recently watched the Team Flare climax a few minutes ago, that rubs me the wrong way.

I shouldn't be making any judgement so soon, but I am simply not feeling optimistic about this premise (especially when I could come up with better scenarios at the top of my head).
It's okay being pessimistic, but what i hate from inet these day is judging something without giving it's a chance.
It's still one trailer, and look at that hate train, that's why XY being cancerous, i never said XY series is bad, but Ash is a bit out of character in this series, i won't tell why tho. I prefer giving this chance instead being optimistic or pessimistic just because one trailer. Because if you getting optimistic from the start, you'll get very dissapointed if the series is a trash and satisfied if the series is good, in other side, if you being pessimistic, you'll be like "just as i though" if the series is a trash and you'll be licking your own saliva if the series is good. That's why waiting and giving a chance like "let's wait where the train goes" is a good choice, IMO.

It's okay being pessimistic, but what i hate from inet these day is judging something without giving it's a chance.
It's still one trailer, and look at that hate train, that's why XY being cancerous, i never said XY series is bad, but Ash is a bit out of character in this series, i won't tell why tho. I prefer giving this chance instead being optimistic or pessimistic just because one trailer. Because if you getting optimistic from the start, you'll get very dissapointed if the series is a trash and satisfied if the series is good, in other side, if you being pessimistic, you'll be like "just as i though" if the series is a trash and you'll be licking your own saliva if the series is good. That's why waiting and giving a chance like "let's wait where the train goes" is a good choice, IMO.

Oh, I'm waiting but I have certain expectations. And the one that matters to me the most is: Don't reset Ash. Unfortunately, a certain episode regarding Ash-Greninja has put me on edge lately about whether I should give it a chance or simply wish for TV Tokyo to simply realize what they have done to the anime.

Been away two months and we got this without telling me??

*Inserts minor existential crisis here*

Okay that was overreaction. I was drilled with serotonins after viewing both poster and trailer, remembering...

....Flare Arc just ended. Team Good wins. Lysandre's gone....

....that which, was an incredible update, I must hold to myself preventing unwanted public attentions even families of beloved ones *facepalm*.

About drastic animations' style shift, it didn't bug me much. Essentially still the Pokemon anime Ash we know and we love (for majority). Expecting Team Kato won't do rendering longer, I wonder whose duty shall bestowed from them. Well, goodbye Unova-XY Ash.

One thing did annoy me though. The Plot.

Or I should say The Premise.

Putting our experienced 10-years-old kid into formal education after suffering countless obstacles starting Kanto onwards into currently Kalos, along with many companions come and go by timeline, oh and how close he's getting his lifetime achievements in future (still 10, though 20 years for us) is one disorienting prologue.

I mean we did know Ash's brilliant legacy, but his IQ requires more upgrades? In Alola?

Hello? Where are those life experiences he learned during those ambitious (read: hellish) journeys?

And, does Ash REALLY needs to study Special Effects again??

Alright I'm kidding, maybe not. He could learn Aether Foundation, he could study Ultra Beasts, or -the best- he could take on Surf lessons one more with Lapras [emoji14]

But seriously, can we just assume he can learn these WHILE travelling? I mean, going around 6 regions doesn't make him qualified as Professional Trainers, then how can he obtained all strategizing battle moments, ever since 1997. I'm talking about that Brock's match. He got some headstarts from Brock's Dad, however he already learned "Easy 101" to beat a gym leader.

------------------------------

Assuming these would give headaches, what about introduced characters?

Let's see...

Prof. Kukui - Cool.
Samson Oak - Nostalgic. Don't forget his dandy hairs.
Mallow and her other 3 buds - Promising.
Lillie - Mystic indeed, but still early.
Team Skull - Aye aye captain!

As for starters:

Rowlet - Status unknown due to live absence zero.
Litten - Trying to be Lolcats, eh?
Popplio - Aww...

Rated it 10/10. Don't judge me.

Strange, no Hau. He reminds me of Sawyer although no blood connection between. Cheerful, full-spirited, and eye-energizing, he should be featured along abovementioned characters...

...On second tough-throughout-thoughts, considering he has the same elements with Summer Camp rivals which look what happened during pre-XYZ episodes, maybe it's rational to them NOT letting us inject ourselves forced just to see him on action in television yet, or else...remember the overrated hype to TST? Yeah, it's disastrous.

Glossary:
TST = Tierno-Shauna-Trevor. Also known as The Slowdown Team, because they're very late developed by storyboards.

I'm not saying they're bad. It's just that they were far behind when introduced. Also like any other generic teams, they were too happily can be descibed perfect (Is it? Well, they didn't provide their in-team conflicts AFAIK ). In fact, their presence was much tedious than Sawyer in honest opinions.

And no, Trevor and Tierno's Kalos League match didn't help the boys and Tripokalons Showcase was damn awfully created for Serena and Shauna.

Immediately, I agree on Ryu Taylor's philosophy:

~Tell, Don't Show Only~

Thanks, Ryu!

I hope those XY (minus Z, or maybe few included) tragic events won't happen similarly to S/M again.

*cues for loud applauses*

|| Moving on,
V

-----------------------------
Can say early assumptions of "Pokemon fans" statement based on 30 seconds trailer shouting Sun and Moon will be Best Wishes all over again are gigantic duckquacks.

All of you haven't watch the full episode stream yet, and you're stating S/M was horrible enough? You just digging your own grave, son. You and your prejudice, we'll prove it right in November-December.

-Unown Pokemon quotes of 2016.

30 frickin' seconds.

30!

And here we are witnessing the unholy side of fandom criticizing Ash's new look and his new silly (but awesome) acts just because assuming he's back to square one.

If you're asking which Ash I recognize when the trailer came out, my answer is:

Alola Ash.

Obvious, right?

I don't give attention when a self-proclaimed fan hates something regards of Pokemon, but this issue has already went outta control. Usually, their complaints be like:

"Ash, y u so dumb?
"Ash, you're much lamer than Red!"
"Ash, I hate you!"
"Ash, please love Serena again take her to Alola...."

...wait a sec... *runs*

Um, you got what I meant.

Please allow me to slap myself.

*slap*

*rubs my cheek in pain*

Yeah, I'm not dreaming.

So this, your main problematic campaign supernova deal was that:

You can't let go.

Believe me, D/P was a moment in pain when Brock, Ash,and Dawn went separate in last episodes. Tragically, I can only watch it from the glass wall. I was petrified, fearing the story would go downhill (It did, for once). However as soon as I realize my fear was just overcharged paranoia, I accept the circumstances and keep on. The prove? I'm watching XY(Z). No regrets and no grumpy clouds still surrounding my head. Now, I'm very relaxed whenever any blow would shoot from Pokemon anime. I treat it as one night party or mourn and then reset it towards the next day.

Understand my story? If no then, sorry couldn't help. You need to seek mental examination from psychiatrist over a severe case of brain's fan fantasy floods or the cool word : Being Possessive.

If "yeah" is your answer, congrats, you're one step closer to become a healthy person. Let's go onwards and face reality while sitting in front of our PC/Mobile prepare to watch S/M or saying "I had enough" while retiring with smiles after XYZ.

Phew that's all I had, hope I contributed and helping S/M better than before both present and future. BTW, this post helps to procrastinate your time here lol.

With regards,

ArvAl

P.S. : Do you know I made 8 colons today in this post?

;)

Last edited:
I am not impressed with Ash's smooth? soft? design. I prefer his sharp looks in XY/XY&Z, but that's just my design preference. I guess we should wait for the series to actually start before making conclusions.

Also...

Example, Detective Conan broadcast also at the afternoon Golden Hour period similar to Pokemon Anime (Just different day of the week), where during that time young children from school can easily tune in and watch them. But, it is not necessarily "appropriate" shows for preteen children, because it is being a mystery anime where every week there is death of victim of some murder incident, and the protagonist group is to solve the mystery. Yet, this animes always in the Weekly Top 10 View Rate list.
I'm not exactly sure what is the actual audience demographic of Detective Conan, but it is definitely favoured by many older audience as well.
Detective Conan is more the exception than the norm when it comes to anime with 'young audiences'. I don't know what it's actually like in Japan, but in Korea the rating is 12+, which is the equivalent of PG13 in America iirc so it definitely doesn't share the same target demographic as Pokemon despite airing at the same time period. Like, it's easy to imagine a group of 5-year-olds watching Pokemon, but not Conan where explicit murder occurs in nearly every episode and being dialogue heavy trying to explain in detail how the murder was carried out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom