• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pocket Monsters: The Origin anime special to air Oct. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This special can't be canon with the regular anime, unless these are the other two trainers that left pallet town at the same time as Ash and Gary.... (expect Gary got Blastoise)

This special can't be canon with the regular anime, unless these are the other two trainers that left pallet town at the same time as Ash and Gary.... (expect Gary got Blastoise)

Of course its not. Oak and Brock look completely different

It's obviously not canon to the regular anime. SATOSHI = ANIME RED. SHIGERU = ANIME GREEN.

Their backstories would contradict with the backstories of these characters, who are based on the same game characters. Four suspiciously-similar characters left from the same hometown? There's another Takeshi that isn't a Pokemon breeder/doctor? What, Green suddenly got a brother (or cousin)? What's the point of doing this?

The fact that you even questioned it worries me.

I am bit interested to see this, though having Charizard Mega-evolve at the end would obviously anger a bunch of Genwunners because of how it promotes Gen 6 (or it may enlighten them into buying X/Y, which isn't going to happen given how close-minded Genwunners usually are), so I hope they don't do that.

I do wish this was a full-on series, like one about 26 episodes to co-air with the regular anime, but it's a one-off special sadly and we're going to have to suffer with Ash Ketchum for all eternity except in our fanfics. Still, it's nice we're getting an OVA based on the first games (now if only they did this with X/Y).

When I first heard the news, I thought it was going to be a new anime series. Very disappointed that it''s just a special but it looks like a good watch regardless.

It doesn't have to. Not all TV specials do that, kind of like how the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon specials were never completed. It's probably just going to be a special that focuses on the beginnings of Red and Blue as something different. It could also be to commemorate FRLG's tenth anniversary which will be next year, and that they're doing this early.
1. Many times more people care about this than any PMD episode ever.
2. PMD episodes can just be one mission, which they are. This specifically deals with the events of Red and Blue, including the Team Rocket subplot and the Elite Four. There's no way it's just one feature, like the hour-long Mewtwo Returns.

What's the bet they are going to pick the highest pitched and most annoying VA for the English dub. They'll ruin Red. I know it.
I'm very excited for this and hopefully it gets dubbed. Though if it does I hope to God they don't give Red and Blue awful voices.
You can never please all the fans all the time, but we have no reason to believe that the VAs will be bad.

I think that the idea is pretty interesting and I'd like to see where they are planning on going with it. I am hoping that they use the special to test the waters and that if it goes well we can see a full 13 or 26 episode season going through the original adventure. I wouldn't consider myself a Genwunner but the idea definitely interests me.
I agree completely.

The end clip with Red and Ash circling around under water then both going into a bright light, reminds me of DNA Digivolution.
You mean Red and Charizard?

You are entering another dimension, a dimension of not only sight and sound but also of mindless fanboyism. You're entering - the Genwun Zone!
I would take any new anime series featuring the game protagonists over Ash and Pikachu's endlessly retconned lives any day. Guess what? RGBY just happen to be the most popular and best selling Generation of games. People love Kanto , as it has appeared in 4 Generations of the main series games.

This looks really good. It sucks that it's only a special, but perhaps people will now realize that Ash and Red are not the same person.
Except Origins is independent from the anime universe, and Satoshi is still the main anime universe's version of Red whether people like it or not. The canon mashing needs to stop...
So what exactly are you saying that isn't already well-known? Of course Ash will remain the main anime's main character. Of course Origins is something completely different. It sounds like you're trying to refute ImBlue without really saying anything at all.

When I first heard the news, I thought it was going to be a new anime series. Very disappointed that it''s just a special but it looks like a good watch regardless.

Me too, though I rather have a new anime series without Ash Ketchum for the X/Y series myself, but we can't always get what we want sadly...

Were Red and Charizard about to fuse at the end? Is this a stealth ReBurst adaptation?

This looks really good. It sucks that it's only a special, but perhaps people will now realize that Ash and Red are not the same person.
Except Origins is independent from the anime universe, and Satoshi is still the main anime universe's version of Red whether people like it or not. The canon mashing needs to stop...
So what exactly are you saying that isn't already well-known? Of course Ash will remain the main anime's main character. Of course Origins is something completely different. It sounds like you're trying to refute ImBlue without really saying anything at all.

...Did you like, not read what he and I wrote at all? He says Origins will make people realize that "Red and Ash are not the same person."

Read in-between the lines. My point is: How the fuck does it prove anything if they're unrelated shows?! That's like saying Batman Show B will make people realize that Joker B is a different person from Joker A from Batman Show A. What? People need to stop being butthurt over Satoshi being the main anime's representation of Red and that they are the same character written and designed differently by different writers for different continuities.

The only way to prove that they're not the same person is to write them. In. The. Same. Damn. Show.

Jeez. Concept.

It may only be a special but who knows? If it gets popular enough, they may consider make a side series independent from the regular anime.

By the way, has anyone noticed that the Pokémon shown so far resembles their original artwork instead of their modern look?

This seems pretty exciting, for someone who never read the Pokémon Adventures Manga.

The only way to prove that they're not the same person is to write them. In. The. Same. Damn. Show.
I've always considered counterparts from different canons not being the same person at all. Their character, lives, actions and backstory are different, therefore, even if they don't exist in the same universe, they're still not the same person.

I've always considered counterparts from different canons not being the same person at all. Their character, lives, actions and backstory are different, therefore, even if they don't exist in the same universe, they're still not the same person.
I agree. However, there needs to be a level of fairness in everything.

Claiming Red and Satoshi are the same person makes as much sense as claiming Game Dr. Orchid and Anime Dr. Orchid are the same person (which people do, along with other anime characters that aren't Red).

Either 1. All cross-canon incarnations are different.

Or 2. They're all the same, written differently by different writers for different continuities.

People should pick and choose between those and start making sense.

This seems pretty exciting, for someone who never read the Pokémon Adventures Manga.
...sigh. This has 0% to do with Pokemon Adventures.

I really don't think a "full series" is going to be in the cards, no matter how well this does animation is pretty costly and focusing on older games weekly seems a bit counter-productive. I don't doubt future specials such as this as being beyond the realm of possibility, but GameFreak probably already has an idea involving how much of these they'll produce in the foreseeable future, and I'm betting it's, being generous, a small amount.

Ash is Red, this is just a different portrayal. Similar to James Bond where lots of people have portrayed him, and each is unique but it's the same character.
They even gave Red Ash's Orange Island team in HGSS, the Pikachu in question even had the same Moveset.

I doubt this incarnation of Red will have Pikachu however, it seems like the Charmander/Charizard is the main partner that he shares a special bond with this time.

They even gave Red Ash's Orange Island team in HGSS, the Pikachu in question even had the same Moveset.
Pikachu's moveset may arguably be a reference, but the rest of his team are in-game event Pokemon from the original games. They're not based on the anime.

I doubt this incarnation of Red will have Pikachu however, it seems like the Charmander/Charizard is the main partner that he shares a special bond with this time.
How does that make it impossible for him to simply catch a Pikachu? It doesn't need to be his starter.

Pikachu's moveset may arguably be a reference, but the rest of his team are in-game event Pokemon from the original games. They're not based on the anime.

How does that make it impossible for him to simply catch a Pikachu? It doesn't need to be his starter.

Pikachu was never an ingame event apart from in Pokemon Yellow, which wasn't really canon it was a special, you could never get all 3 starters apart from again in Yellow.
Also the fact it used to be Espeon but then they changed it to Lapras I think was meant to drive the point home a little harder. Why would they give his team less type coverage if not to make a point?

Either way there's no way of proving which of us is correct, you believe it to be based on Pokemon Yellow, I think it's the anime. The fact that yellow is based off the Anime as well means we're kind of both right.

As for Pikachu, it's too iconic to be owned by anyone other than Ash, they can get away with the odd COTD having it but even that's been a while ago.

I am just wondering who's art style it is, because it doesn't look like Ken Suigmori's. I am also not forgiving to the Pokemon Company for not releasing a Black/White 2 special. I hate how the Black/White 2 trailer teased me thinking there was going to be one.

Well, it's called Origins for a reason. :p

This is interesting though. I'll watch it if it gets dubbed, but if not, I won't be too upset.

Pikachu was never an ingame event apart from in Pokemon Yellow, which wasn't really canon it was a special, you could never get all 3 starters apart from again in Yellow.
It's an iconic Pokemon that has been owned by all of Red's counterparts. There's no proof that it's based on just the anime. I'm not going to lie that Satoshi may have been the Red that started the trend though.

Also the fact it used to be Espeon but then they changed it to Lapras I think was meant to drive the point home a little harder. Why would they give his team less type coverage if not to make a point?
To represent Geeration I better while not favoring either one of the Eevee evolutions at the same time.

Either way there's no way of proving which of us is correct, you believe it to be based on Pokemon Yellow, I think it's the anime. The fact that yellow is based off the Anime as well means we're kind of both right.

Yellow is not "based" on the anime. It incorporates popular aspects inspired by the anime. It's still Red, Green, and Blue to the core with neat extras.

As for Pikachu, it's too iconic to be owned by anyone other than Ash, they can get away with the odd COTD having it but even that's been a while ago.

Um, WHAT? All of Red's incarnations have owned a Pikachu. Your logic fails.

I am just wondering who's art style it is, because it doesn't look like Ken Suigmori's. I am also not forgiving to the Pokemon Company for not releasing a Black/White 2 special. I hate how the Black/White 2 trailer teased me thinking there was going to be one.

Not their fault. The trailer was clearly advertising the games, not a TV special...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom