• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pocket Monsters: The Origin anime special to air Oct. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
(I forget which game this was, I took the quote from @Silktree;).

If I recall correctly, this quote from the Pokemon Lab was in all of the Kanto-based games. It's certainly there on my recent playthrough of Yellow. It's also on my LeafGreen.

@The Outrage; Did you quote me by accident, or did you just miss the entire point of my post? I'm not fussed on where Mega Mewtwo canonically fits into the franchise, but more, on the emphasis older Pokémon are being given at the moment over new ones. For example, the last movie before GS featured Lugia, the last one before RS featured Latias and Latios, the last one before DP featured Lucario and the movie before BW featured Zoroark. Whereas with XY...we have Mewtwo, a Gen I Pokémon.

@The Outrage; Did you quote me by accident, or did you just miss the entire point of my post? I'm not fussed on where Mega Mewtwo canonically fits into the franchise, but more, on the emphasis older Pokémon are being given at the moment over new ones. For example, the last movie before GS featured Lugia, the last one before RS featured Latias and Latios, the last one before DP featured Lucario and the movie before BW featured Zoroark. Whereas with XY...we have Mewtwo, a Gen I Pokémon.

I probably missed the point, but the franchise is also heading to it's 20th anniversary so that may explain why they are giving focus to Gen I as much as Gen VI and not because they don't think XY will succeed on its own merit. I mean we were all already super excited before Mega Evolutions.

Finally, a Pokemon anime that actually looks GOOD!

I've been waiting to see Red. Yes, the REAL Red, not that wuss Ash. I am looking forward to this anime special. I hope they make it cool!

I really wish they'd do more specials actually based on the games. This is a step in the right direction.

Not loving the style of this, especially the character designs, but still really looking forward to this.

I've been waiting to see Red. Yes, the REAL Red, not that wuss Ash. I am looking forward to this anime special. I hope they make it cool!

The "real" Red would the one from the games. But there's little to doubt that this Red will be closest to the in-game Red. At least in terms of how Game Freak views him.

Also, I'm starting to grow concerned with just how much The Pokémon Company is focusing on nostalgia of previous generations in the run-up to XY's release - such as Mega Mewtwo being the Gen VI poster Pokémon in the latest movie, Mega Evolutions focusing on old Pokémon and now this - airing just under 2 weeks before XY's release. It's actually sorta damaging my faith in the games, like TPC are trying to say that they don't think XY have enough merit to do well on their own. Yeah, they're already selling like hotcakes on pre-orders and will no doubt sell well, but still...
How dare they treat the games as an actual series rather than a collection of individual generations.

At the very least, an XY special should be airing then, not a Red/Green one.
That would just spoil the games' story. With Origin they can cleverly foreshadow what's to come by alluding to the connection between the two generations. An XY special may happen eventually.

Did you quote me by accident, or did you just miss the entire point of my post? I'm not fussed on where Mega Mewtwo canonically fits into the franchise, but more, on the emphasis older Pokémon are being given at the moment over new ones. For example, the last movie before GS featured Lugia, the last one before RS featured Latias and Latios, the last one before DP featured Lucario and the movie before BW featured Zoroark. Whereas with XY...we have Mewtwo, a Gen I Pokémon.
So basically you want things to remain unchanged, even though it doesn't really matter when they start promoting Generation VI Pokémon at full force. Also, Movie 16 was hardly the best way to pander to the older fans.

All of the characters from The Origin look more realistic, rather than cartoonish look in the mainstream anime. Look at Ash Ketchum's design, the eyes are too chubby. Red is more realistic.

I think a new anime series is all we, the Pokémon anime lovers, have been wishing for (even unconsciously) since nearly 10 years ago, when we realized they had no more intention the anime was more than a childish sponsor for the games. Too bad that they confirmed it's just a special. Maybe they are just testing the audience. Maybe they plan to release only specials like that in special occasions, maybe once or twice a year. Or maybe they are planning something new related to the classic Red & Green games.

Well, I just wished they made a completely new, regular and game-based anime series. It would be good to watch some not-so-predictable stuff about Pokémon on TV. It could even coexist with the old series. However, I do not have many illusions about that. I don't think they will want to split their audience in two Pokémon series, even if it could bring back the older audience or a more mature new audience, especially taking into consideration the fact that there are big chances that the new series would be far more interesting than the old one, even for children. The new series would claim more creative efforts than the old one, it could not be long-term so effective as the old one.

Nevertheless, I still hope they periodically release specials like that, following the story of the games. It would be perfect because it wouldn't "compete" with the old series, they would have much time to work very well in each episode (resulting in a superior quality) and there would be long periods between a game release and its special animation (so there wouldn't be spoilers).

Last edited:
This is the kind of anime I was hoping for Pokemon for a decade!! With a competent protagonist truly talented as being a Pokemon Trainer, with well-written appropriate adventurous plot and no slice-of-life nonsense slapstick, with a truly villainous antagonist await in the journey ahead!

... Men, why can't the current canon anime having the plot quality just like this special!?[/SIZE]

... You can tell this all from that one-minute-and-a-bit preview, how? Or are you just projecting everything you want the anime to be onto this because it's not the anime and therefore must be better? :/

I personally place very heavy emphasis on plot quality much more over than graphic quality. If the plot just sucks like the Pokemon anime with Ash Ketchum, I don't care a damn to watch it, just at the very least reading the plot summary written by the viewers.
If Origin is really going to based off from the RGB game, even not 100% equivalent, but like at least 80%, that is already fine enough to ensure the plot will be much much MUCH better than current Pokemon anime, at the very least it will not be so childish and characteristically unrealistic. Please, let this Pokemon Origin anime be an adventure story, not a comical slapstick show.

But however, that doesn't mean I don't care graphic quality at all. My concern regarding on anime is just that plot is 1st place, whereas graphic is 2nd (sound and voiceacting is the 3rd).
Please understand that what I mean by "graphic" is not just character designs, but the MOST IMPORTANTLY the action smoothness and special effects. I'm glad that Origin is not made purely by OLM, but with help from Production I.G. and XEBEC (the most importantly ESPECIALLY XEBEC!!! I'd watched many anime made by this company!) So at the very least graphic quality will have a definite guarantee up to certain point, at least probably it should be above my personal rating.

How dare they treat the games as an actual series rather than a collection of individual generations.
It's like Nintendo releasing an Iwata Asks session on the Gameboy in the run-up to the 3DS' release. Pokémon is a product driven franchise, not a story driven one.

At the very least, an XY special should be airing then, not a Red/Green one.
That would just spoil the games' story. With Origin they can cleverly foreshadow what's to come by alluding to the connection between the two generations. An XY special may happen eventually.
Except it wouldn't spoil the games' story unless they write it that way. Sure, this special may be covering the beginning and end of Red's journey, but an XY special wouldn't have to do that.
Also, an XY special shouldn't be a case of "may happen eventually", it should be "This special is airing 10 days before XY are out - let's do it now! A RG special may happen eventually".

Did you quote me by accident, or did you just miss the entire point of my post? I'm not fussed on where Mega Mewtwo canonically fits into the franchise, but more, on the emphasis older Pokémon are being given at the moment over new ones. For example, the last movie before GS featured Lugia, the last one before RS featured Latias and Latios, the last one before DP featured Lucario and the movie before BW featured Zoroark. Whereas with XY...we have Mewtwo, a Gen I Pokémon.
So basically you want things to remain unchanged, even though it doesn't really matter when they start promoting Generation VI Pokémon at full force. Also, Movie 16 was hardly the best way to pander to the older fans.
Marketing 101: You start big promotion before your product is released, not after.

And let's not detract this into a discussion on the merits or lack-of of movie 16, but the point is there: Mewtwo, a Generation I Pokémon, was the cover star that is usually reserved to promote a new generation.

I probably missed the point, but the franchise is also heading to it's 20th anniversary so that may explain why they are giving focus to Gen I as much as Gen VI and not because they don't think XY will succeed on its own merit. I mean we were all already super excited before Mega Evolutions.
Except the 20th anniversary is 3 years away.

Guys, who's that Pokémon?

A new pokémon?
a MegaSubstitute? haha
Just a random creature showing in the background?

It's none of the GenI menu sprites either

WTP.png

Last edited:
Pokémon is a product driven franchise, not a story driven one.
That's the way it's been so far, but so? It seems to me that you take issue with an unexpected move that promotes the games via the story in the context of the series.

Except it wouldn't spoil the games' story unless they write it that way. Sure, this special may be covering the beginning and end of Red's journey, but an XY special wouldn't have to do that.
So what would it do that wouldn't spoil the story or be banal for a special?

Also, an XY special shouldn't be a case of "may happen eventually", it should be "This special is airing 10 days before XY are out - let's do it now! A RG special may happen eventually".
Obviously the higher-ups don't agree with you.

Marketing 101: You start big promotion before your product is released, not after.
They are promoting the new Pokémon via the regular anime, which is more than they did for the last generation. The movie isn't everything.

And let's not detract this into a discussion on the merits or lack-of of movie 16, but the point is there: Mewtwo, a Generation I Pokémon, was the cover star that is usually reserved to promote a new generation.
You're going to have to deal with the fact that Mega Evolutions are an important new feature that Game Freak want to promote. Mewtwo can be relevant to the games even without being a new Pokémon; I seem to recall that you said that yourself.

It will be closer to two years by the time XY are released; the anniversary will no doubt be part of Generation VI. It makes sense for there to be Kanto references in the main entries of this generation, and for Mega Evolution to exist as a way to revisit all kinds of older Pokémon.

@Joshawott;
So all these other months focusing on XY, and having one month left to advertise, but spending one month on Mega Evolutions is bad marketing?

And yes, you do have a big promotion before the release of a game. But guess what, Pokémon: The Origin is being released in October. It's hardly being used to promote XY. It seems more like its going to be released along side it to explain certain things....like why Mewtwo is in Kalos and Mega Evolution if that scene with Red and Charizard is indicative. It's certainly better than having a lot of pointless exposition in-game that may detract from the core story.

That's the way it's been so far, but so? It seems to me that you take issue with an unexpected move that promotes the games via the story in the context of the series.
You mean, promotes the story of an upcoming game via an animated special for a game that was released 17 years ago?"? I loved the animated trailers for Black 2/White 2; they were fresh, original and generated a lot of hype. I would have been more than happy with something like that for XY.

So what would it do that wouldn't spoil the story or be banal for a special?
Well for starters, we don't even know how long this special is going to be do we? So we don't know how much time it will have to cover. It's simple though: Focus only on the beginning of XY's story, as if it was a pseudo-beginning episode for an XY anime.

Obviously the higher-ups don't agree with you.
You don't say? Captain Obvious saves the day again!

They are promoting the new Pokémon via the regular anime, which is more than they did for the last generation. The movie isn't everything.
The movie is like a giant billboard for their promotions though - the movies have always been Pokémon's biggest marketing tool.

You're going to have to deal with the fact that Mega Evolutions are an important new feature that Game Freak want to promote. Mewtwo can be relevant to the games even without being a new Pokémon; I seem to recall that you said that yourself.
Mega Evolutions are indeed a big feature of the games, but they are overshadowing everything else about XY at this stage when the focus should clearly be on the new Pokémon, rather than expansions on previous Pokémon, just like how every pre-release period has new evolutions/pre-evolutions, but a majority of significant new species'.

It will be closer to two years by the time XY are released; the anniversary will no doubt be part of Generation VI. It makes sense for there to be Kanto references in the main entries of this generation, and for Mega Evolution to exist as a way to revisit all kinds of older Pokémon.
By the time the 20th anniversary comes about, it will be time for a new main series entry anyway. Such references should be saved for that game, as to not detract from the beginning of a brand new generation.

@Joshawott;
So all these other months focusing on XY, and having one month left to advertise, but spending one month on Mega Evolutions is bad marketing?

And yes, you do have a big promotion before the release of a game. But guess what, Pokémon: The Origin is being released in October. It's hardly being used to promote XY. It seems more like its going to be released along side it to explain certain things....like why Mewtwo is in Kalos and Mega Evolution if that scene with Red and Charizard is indicative. It's certainly better than having a lot of pointless exposition in-game that may detract from the core story.
Pokémon: The Origin is airing 10 days before the release of Pokémon X and Y. I didn't say that it's being used to promote XY - what I'm saying is, a special airing so close to the launch of the games should be. There has been nothing to suggest that this special will tie into XY in any way.

Also, it's not just one month being spent on Mega Evolutions. The core of XY's pre-release marketing has been Mega Mewtwo, which was revealed in April and kept a mystery for a good 5 months, making it the centre of XY's mysteries alongside Sylveon and the Fairy-type. Then Mewtwo took the lead role in the new movie, which is something that has always been taken up by a new species of Pokémon.

And "that scene with Red and Charizard"? Doesn't hint towards Mega Evolutions at all. Could just be some bull-crap visual for a "believe in each other" kinda moral.

Last edited:
You mean, promotes the story of an upcoming game via an animated special for a game that was released 17 years ago?"?
Yes. The stories will most likely be connected to some extent.

It's simple though: Focus only on the beginning of XY's story, as if it was a pseudo-beginning episode for an XY anime.
The point of that being? The beginning is unlikely to be very interesting, and we'll get something similar enough via the regular anime.

You clearly need a remind of that fact because you're speaking as if you were TPCi's marketing supervisor. You're merely complaining that they aren't doing what you want; it would be more honest if you didn't bring marketing or patterns into this.

Mega Evolutions are indeed a big feature of the games, but they are overshadowing everything else about XY at this stage when the focus should clearly be on the new Pokémon, rather than expansions on previous Pokémon, just like how every pre-release period has new evolutions/pre-evolutions, but a majority of significant new species'.
Overshadowing everything? We had no idea of their existence until 10 days ago, since the Mewtwo foreshadowing was so misleading.

By the time the 20th anniversary comes about, it will be time for a new main series entry anyway. Such references should be saved for that game, as to not detract from the beginning of a brand new generation.
They're blending the new with the old. That should be done throughout the entire generation, rather than calling one game "new" and the other "old" for the sake of fans who want to keep things simple.

And "that scene with Red and Charizard"? Doesn't hint towards Mega Evolutions at all. Could just be some bull-crap visual for a "believe in each other" kinda moral.
There are clearly two stones involved, as indicated. What other purpose could they serve?

Mega.png

Pokémon: The Origin is airing 10 days before the release of Pokémon X and Y. I didn't say that it's being used to promote XY - what I'm saying is, a special airing so close to the launch of the games should be. There has been nothing to suggest that this special will tie into XY in any way

Other than the special hinting that Red meets Mewtwo and an unexplained Mewtwo appearance in XY, the special obviously could not tie into XY unless they explicitly say so....just like how Game Freak explicitly told us everything from the start about Sylveon's type, Mewtwo, and Mega Evolution instead of waiting for months on end.

Also watch that scene closely at the end, its available in HD. Red is clearly holding something in his left hand and Charizard is glowing a rainbow colour

Also, it's not just one month being spent on Mega Evolutions. The core of XY's pre-release marketing has been Mega Mewtwo, which was revealed in April and kept a mystery for a good 5 months, making it the centre of XY's mysteries alongside Sylveon and the Fairy-type. Then Mewtwo took the lead role in the new movie, which is something that has always been taken up by a new species of Pokémon.

Okay, so Mewtwo commands the attention....but we all know it's not Mewtwo, it's what it represents, Mega Evolution. Game Freak is promoting Mega Evolution as its big game changer for this generation--it's what Gen VI will be remembered by. Of course its going to focus on it, and of course its going to focus on older Pokemon because it seems to be used in place of traditional evolution, which from the looks of things, would help Game Freak not bog down their "new Pokemon count" with new evolutions for old species allowing for a nice balance.

And basically, you acknowledge that they spent 5 months telling us nothing about Fairy or Mega Evolution, yet are already writing off The Origin for showcasing an old game and not having to do anything with XY's release even though we've known about it for a whole weekend (even though Mewtwo being involved in XY obviously ties it to Gen I)

Yes. The stories will most likely be connected to some extent.
"Some extent" meaning "hardly at all", just like every main series game not being called Gold, Silver, Crystal or a remake of them.

It's simple though: Focus only on the beginning of XY's story, as if it was a pseudo-beginning episode for an XY anime.
The point of that being? The beginning is unlikely to be very interesting, and we'll get something similar enough via the regular anime.
To I dunno, promote XY and the Kalos region?

You clearly need a remind of that fact because you're speaking as if you were TPCi's marketing supervisor. You're merely complaining that they aren't doing what you want; it would be more honest if you didn't bring marketing or patterns into this.
Except I've never claimed to be TPCi's marketing supervisor or have any such role at all. Also, from what you're saying, it's that in order to express an opinion based on facts and franchise trends, I shouldn't bring facts and trends into the discussion when justifying my opinion?

Overshadowing everything? We had no idea of their existence until 10 days ago, since the Mewtwo foreshadowing was so misleading.
Except we've known about Mewtwo for over 5 months now. Considering that the Mega Evolutions' double helix appears on the Japanese logos as well...Would it kill them to actually give some kind of hype to Xerneas or Yveltal?

They're blending the new with the old. That should be done throughout the entire generation, rather than calling one game "new" and the other "old" for the sake of fans who want to keep things simple.
It's not about keeping things simple - it's about using the brand new shiny stuff to sell the brand new shiny games. People don't like to see the same old things over and over again - it's why franchises like Call of Duty get absolutely slated.
@Silktree; @The Outrage;
Okay, rewatching the trailer in 1080p (as the first time I had a chance to watch it was 3am this morning in SD). I'm not sure if I would put so much stock into a split second of footage when we don't really have a clear shot of what was shown - they could very easily be just be the bubbles like the countless ones they are surrounded by, with the illumination being to give emphasis to Red and Charizard because y'know, underwater tends to be dark.

If it is indeed a Mega Stone though, it will be interesting as obviously, Mega Stones weren't in Red and Green.

Last edited:
You do realize if there's anything more repetitive than CoD it's Pokemon's "Get 8 badges, catch all Pokemon, defeat the bad guys!" formula that's been going on since it started, right? And of course, when you bring that up with Pokemon fans you get "If it ain't broke don't fix it". If you're honestly concerned about Pokemon's repetitiveness, I'd be less concerned about Game Freak's obvious Kanto-boner than it is about how slow it takes Game Freak to change up its formula.

And they are using brand new shiny stuff to sell brand new shiny games. They're using Mega Evolutions as the hot topic this month, but obviously you have a problem with the "old-Pokemon focus" with that even though Game Freak outright claims Mega Evolution to be the biggest news for this generation. So they use new features to promote a new game, and these features happen to be tied to old Pokemon....yet you're complaining they're focusing on the old.

Joshawott said:
"Some extent" meaning "hardly at all", just like every main series game not being called Gold, Silver, Crystal or a remake of them.
Because those games featured an old legendary Pokémon and were released in tandem with a special about previous games, right? Go ahead and assume that it's just pandering if it makes you feel better.

To I dunno, promote XY and the Kalos region?
They don't need a special just for that when the regular anime will serve that purpose soon enough. Again, there may be a special later down the road when the story isn't a secret anymore.

Also, from what you're saying, it's that in order to express an opinion based on facts and franchise trends, I shouldn't bring facts and trends into the discussion when justifying my opinion?
You aren't doing much by regurgitating facts about the past.

Would it kill them to actually give some kind of hype to Xerneas or Yveltal?
They never did that for previous releases. A special about the mascots would no doubt be spoilerific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom