• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review Pocket Monsters: The Origin

Positives I see the lack of stock footage with flashy backgrounds and having some nice camera angles,

Worth pointing out that as a short special, Origins just plain gets more budget per episode- not to mention more time to produce an episode, in all likelihood- than a typical anime episode. The anime manages to forgo stock footage in things like the movies and certain specials as well. So it's less to do with Origins in particular and more to do with differing production formats. Just saiyan.

Positives I see the lack of stock footage with flashy backgrounds and having some nice camera angles,

Worth pointing out that as a short special, Origins just plain gets more budget per episode- not to mention more time to produce an episode, in all likelihood- than a typical anime episode. The anime manages to forgo stock footage in things like the movies and certain specials as well. So it's less to do with Origins in particular and more to do with differing production formats. Just saiyan.

I understand that, it's just if the rest of my post was complaining about stuff by comparing it to the regular show, it's only fair I compliment it on what it did right compared to the regular show (pre-XY of course, so far that series has really gotten a giant boost in animation).

Where the heck's the episode? I checked both the PokemonTV website and the app, and the special isn't there. Even the trailer, which i know i saw on the app yesterday, is gone, so they must have updated the content today. Darn it, i got up an extra hour earlier then usual today just so i could watch it before i go to work. I should've just slept that extra hour :mad:

They changed the charmander scream... and Johnny Young Bosch is Brock!! Seems like a NYLA post dub

They changed the charmander scream... and Johnny Young Bosch is Brock!! Seems like a NYLA post dub

The fact they changed the scream is kind of... amusing, to me. Charmander's scream was undoubtedly disturbing, but the fact they edited it just makes it a bit hilarious.

I don't have any qualms with the voices. I really like Green/Blue's voice, and Prof. Oak's voice was decent, too. Red's isn't exactly what I was expecting, but he is well-acted, and I got used to it very quickly.

I knew Johnny Yong Bosch was in this special. I recognized his voice but I wasn't completely sure if it was him or not.

Oak's voice was deeper than I imagine, but that's mostly because I got so used to hearing his old man voice in the anime. I figured they'd change Green's name to Blue since his name is Blue in the games, but it's just weird to hear him referred to as Blue even though he's wearing green all the time. They could have at least changed the color of his shirt for the dub, but I'm probably making more of a deal out of it than it needs to be. I've just always called him Green anyway but that's just me.I also really liked Red's voice. It threw me off at first but I quickly got adjusted to it.

Just watched episode 1. Wow, that was amazing. I had shivers down my spine throughout - the nostalgia! It feels like TPCi took a lot more care with this than with the regular series - Johnny Yong Bosch as Brock was a surprise! I also recognised a few of the other voices, but couldn't put my finger on who voiced them. Having characters say their game dialogue too...too good!

I'm still not sure why they changed Green to Blue in HGSS, never mind here, because of FireRed and LeafGreen.

Just watched part 1. I'm very surprised that Johnny Yong Bosch is Brock! Does anybody know the rest of the voice cast? I admit that I was also thrown off by Oak's voice, especially because James Carter Cathcart emulates Stuart Zagnit very well in the main show.

Another thing that threw me off was that they made Red start off as a very stupid noob, but he changed quickly. The fandom is used to seeing him as a tough world-beater. But overall, I was very entertained by the whole thing and loved the direct game references! They were close to perfect. I also liked the game screens at the beginning and end.

The fact they changed the scream is kind of... amusing, to me. Charmander's scream was undoubtedly disturbing, but the fact they edited it just makes it a bit hilarious.

I don't have any qualms with the voices. I really like Green/Blue's voice, and Prof. Oak's voice was decent, too. Red's isn't exactly what I was expecting, but he is well-acted, and I got used to it very quickly.

They didn't edit the Charmander scream. Not in the way you're suggesting.

All the Pokemon have different voices in the dub.

The English version wasn't as good as the Japanese but it' still pretty great. Origins is everything the Anime should be but isn't and it's really quite a shame. Though the fact that the Japanese Text is still in there is kinda silly. What I loved is that Origins is clearly aimed at people like me who grew up with FireRed and LeafGreen. It's clearly based off those rather than the originals, Red and Green. The way everything looks is the way it looked in those games rather than the originals. If there's one thing I don't understand though is, are the Mega Evolutions permanent in this? It's really never made clear whether they're in battle only or are permanent forms.

The English version wasn't as good as the Japanese but it' still pretty great. Origins is everything the Anime should be but isn't and it's really quite a shame. Though the fact that the Japanese Text is still in there is kinda silly. What I loved is that Origins is clearly aimed at people like me who grew up with FireRed and LeafGreen. It's clearly based off those rather than the originals, Red and Green. The way everything looks is the way it looked in those games rather than the originals. If there's one thing I don't understand though is, are the Mega Evolutions permanent in this? It's really never made clear whether they're in battle only or are permanent forms.

What Japanese text? Any Japanese was changed to English was translated.

And yes it was made clear. Charizard was shown turning back to normal once Mewtwo was caught.

There was Japanese text in Oak's lab on his monitors. It didn't look like Roman letters to me.

There was Japanese text in Oak's lab on his monitors. It didn't look like Roman letters to me.

That wasn't Japanese. It was the made up language the regular anime has been using since AG.

Lucien Dodge has confirmed that he voiced Blue in the English version.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, Bryce Papenbrook voiced Red and Kyle Hebert voiced Oak?

It annoys me that they changed Green's name to Blue so I'm just gonna refer to him as Green anyway.

I miss Zagnit's Oak so, so much. My favorite voice in the history of the franchise.

Red and Green sound older than I expected, but I get the impression they're supposed to be older in this special than their counterparts in the game and the main anime, so it fits.

Green/Gary always reminds me of Axl Rose, and this time is no exception.

Bosch did a good job as Brock IMO.

Just what was that statue creature in Brock's gym? It looked like a cross between a pig and a cat, with wings.

I really liked the music that played towards the end of the fight with Brock.

Kanto really does seem like "the boonies" in this version.

Last edited:
Loved the dubbed version of part 1. I thought that the voices were okay, though I thought Blue's voice should've been deeper. Also, I'm pretty bummed that they removed some of Charmander's scream from the bite attack. I actually found it funny. Not that either of these things made me like the special less. It was still great. Can't wait for the other parts in English.

Just watched the special and loved it. I didn't expect Brock to be voice by Johnny Yong Bosch. He was an awesome Brock! The other voices were great, too. Kyle Herbert did a really good Oak and Red and Blue sound perfect, even though I wanted Red to have English Naruto's voice. :p And the Pokemon sound so adorable. :3 Especially Charmander and both Nidoran.

Also, I recognize the girl in Brock's Gym. She sounds like Rory from B-Daman Crossfire, if I'm not mistaken.

Just realized, I think Red's voice is Chooki's from Tenkai Knights!

It must be so annoying to just be chillin' down the street and then all of a sudden, WILD POKEMON APPEARED! music just starts blaring. O_O Also thought it was hilarious how they said lines like "It's Super Effective!", "It's Not Very Effective..." and other lines directly from the games. They get props for that~

Can't wait for Cubone's story!

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom