• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review Pocket Monsters: The Origin

Was just rewatching the fourth part, and spotted this... one of the photos in the Hall of Fame sports Rougela in her original, black-face design.

TPCi will definitely have to edit that. How could the animators make such a big mistake?

Was just rewatching the fourth part, and spotted this... one of the photos in the Hall of Fame sports Rougela in her original, black-face design.

TPCi will definitely have to edit that. How could the animators make such a big mistake?

Because in the original Red and Green/Blue game Jynx was originally like that. Remember this special is about the original games.

Paulisthebest said:
I'm curious how Marowak was killed by an electric rod considering it is a ground type...

...I hope this is not a serious question.

투 애니원 said:
Because in the original Red and Green/Blue game Jynx was originally like that. Remember this special is about the original games.

Well, up until the whole Mega Lizardon X thing anyway.

Besides, Rougela's purple skin isn't just a "new feature" that was added in later generations, like Abilities or certain Type weaknesses. It's a retcon that's been happening across the board - from video game releases (the Virtual Console version of Pokemon Snap) to Blu-rays (the first movie Blu-ray in Japan) to episodes of the TV series (the 2012 edit of the Kanto episode "Rougela's Christmas") - and The Origin ignoring said retcon is surprising given how militant they've been in erasing every trace of the original design from the franchise up until now.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pokemon gets edited in the Japanese DVD / Blu-ray release in addition to the English dub.

OMFG it took Red ONLY 4 EPISODES to beat the Pokemon League and become Champion while pussy Ash is traveling for 15 years and still can't beat one league(Orange Islands don't count).

I gotta say I absolutely loved every second of this, it was my dream anime from the first time I turned on my gameboy and picked my bulbasaur. I really wish it didn't blow trough so fast, I really would have loved to see Mt. Moon, Misty, S.S. Anne, Blaine, and all my other favourite scenes played out. If they turned this into a full season I think I'd have a heart attack :smokin:

OMFG it took Red ONLY 4 EPISODES to beat the Pokemon League and become Champion while pussy Ash is traveling for 15 years and still can't beat one league(Orange Islands don't count).

thank you so much, this made my entire week

Ya with a bunch of fail ass pokemon who couldn't beat shit. Take away Charizard and you have a trainer who gets pwned in every battle ever.

*is trying his best to ignore some of the previous posts*

*cringes*

What is intelligent constructive criticism? Never heard of it. red beat the pokemon league in FOUR EPISODES!!!!11 ev training level 100 hp bars leet hax0rz!!!11 Yeah. It's not like they skipped over 3/4 of the journey at all. :| What a nonsensical comparison between the skill of the two versions of the character, especially since those two canons work differently.

This is my review of the special. I enjoyed it, but it isn't as good as people are making it out to be. Of course, throw in bare video game mechanics and name the Gen I protagonist "Red" and half of the fandom will call it a masterpiece. *sigh* Otherwise, it was a fun special. The cons I point out in my review really bring it down, though. It could have been so much better, and being only four episodes really didn't helped matters.

Last edited:
Yeah we can do without the pointless Satoshi/Red "comparisons" here.

This is a review thread, not a Youtube comments section.

How long was it on the screen. If it's one frame, it'd prob stay in the dub version.

If not, it prob will be turned purple when it has a dvd release or dubbed.

Last edited:
Yes, it was a very quick thing, one/two frames, I think...
I don't know, the dubbers seem to have the tendency to catch even the small details quite easily...

It's kind of like how, in the early Kanto days, Satoshi would ask Kasumi why she keeps following him and she'd respond by saying something like "You think I'm following you!? Don't make me laugh! You just happen to be going the same way I'm headed, that's all." She was, of course, bullshitting.

"Blue" choosing Squirtle would feel the same to anyone who hasn't seen the Japanese version before. "Don't be ridiculous! I'm not choosing Squirtle because he's blue, that'd be childish. No, I'm choosing him because...um...because Water beats Fire! Yeah, that's it. That's the reason..." It won't be phrased like that, of course, but it's not unthinkable that whoever doesn't know that Blue was called Green in Japan (all...zero of them, because that's like the single most well-known piece of trivia connected to the franchise) would see Blue's choice as being similiar to Misty's explanation for following Ash.

So, people would thought that he, for some weird reason, is secretly obsessed with blue colour, and acting like a tsundere? Why?

I'm curious how Marowak was killed by an electric rod considering it is a ground type...View attachment 90788

She is obviously tickled to death.

There shoulda been an epilogue to this showing either

A. Red looking under a truck
B. Red surfing up and down the east cost of Cinnabar island.

There is also important questions like:

"Are you a boy or a girl?"
"What is the name of my grandson?"

Personally, I loved it and saw it subbed. It was amazing; I am not one of those who wanted to watch it because of it being the original VG or manga character but simply because it was well-handled. If they were ever to make Pokemon into a live action, this would be a very good format. Red was just so interesting along with Green... the battles were awesome, the characterization was epic, and the emotions were high..

I hope that they'll adopt some of this style of storytelling into the new XY anime season.

Yeah well, regardless of following the game, the Lavender part felt pretty much like a glorified "help people/pokemon for no reason" episode.
And how come Cubone had his mother's skull before she was even dead...? Did she send it to him from the future?

Anyway, it was OK. I liked the first and third episodes. The rest was pretty underwhelming. I don't get the whole praise for the animation. It's a 1:30 special. Did people really expect the same quality as a random episode from the series? Besides, the anime has its share of episodes that don't use stocky animation.

I didn't like how they handled the battles at all. Not that I expected more than 5 minutes per battle since they had less than one hour and a half to work with it.
But what really bugs me is how Red was more bland than the BW League champion upon completing the dex and becoming a champion.
This OAV made being a champion even less of a big deal than the games do. That's quite an accomplishment...

Seeing this just makes it all the more certain applying too much game logic to the anime doesn't works.
Nobody bothered to so much as try to dodge anything. Everyone just took turns and full hits... It was kinda awkward to me.

Last edited:
Personally, I wish this was at least a twelve episode mini-series. As it is, it was pretty good but I feel they could've expanded a lot more with three times the episodes.

I liked the part where the woman in Lavender Town makes the comment about a ghost's hand on Red. Really takes you back, huh?

It was kind of cool seeing Pokemon animated with a different art style, but overall I was underwhelmed. The battles were meh, too much in the "just like the games" direction. RPG-style combat doesn't make for very interesting watching, it needs to be more fluid like an action game, martial arts movie, etc. The battle with Mewtwo at the end was the only one that I could get any excitement out of.

Another thing I didn't like was that the world seemed much less lively than it does in the main anime. The cities looked tiny, and the league? Instead of a spectator event with an audience of thousands, it's all inside a building with no audience at all. Winning it doesn't seem like a big deal.

On the positive side, I though Giovanni was great. His scenes were my favorite parts.

My verdict: merely okay. Following the games 100% doesn't make for a better show. I'll stick with the main anime.

Watching this just makes me appreciate the changes the standard anime made even more, much like the poster above me. I prefer the way the Elite 4 and Champion are on a completely different level than the Gym Leaders and normal trainers, how the Legendary Pokemon are much more powerful and involved in the environment, and each trainer only being allowed the same number of Pokemon. Dodging, making up moves, combining moves, and using moves in ways you can't in the games are what I love to see in the show instead of it just being a better animated version of what I can already do myself.

Even trying to look at this without my own biases in favor of Ash's anime, I still see things that are ridiculous. How's a Rhyhorn supposed to OHKO a Jolteon with Thunderbolt? Isn't Rhyhorn's Special stat abysmal while Jolteon's is pretty good, with it having no STAB and being not very effective? Futhermore, Jolteon's Volt Absorb ability should have nullified it. Speaking of which, if they were going the route that this is Gen 1 so there are no abilities, that's negated by the use of Mega Evolution. Either stay true to the original canon, or don't let Jolteon be affected by an electric move.

Positives I see the lack of stock footage with flashy backgrounds and having some nice camera angles, giving the fans an animated version of things that didn't make it into the regular show like the Marowak and Team Rocket scenes, and even if I didn't personally like the style I do commend them on acknowledging the older fans that did want a more direct and mature adaptation of the games. Even though they did montage their way through a lot of it, I do feel they hit all the main points of the original story and didn't skip anything too major.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom