• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review Pocket Monsters: The Origin

* Jolteon: It's true that Ash never had a Jolteon, but it's clear that his role in Red's team is the same that Ash's Pikachu.

Jolteon got KOed every time it showed up. Pikachu is one of Ash's strongest Pokemon. Charizard is Red's "Pikachu".

You are wrong, my friend. Jolteon was able to defeat Team Rocket (Koffing) in "Chapter 02 - Cubone". Jolteon was defeated by Giovanni's Rhyhorn, the same way Ash's Pikachu was defeated by Giovanni's Persian. He also defeated some of Blue's Pokemon (possibly Pidgeot and some other) before being finally defeated by Blastoise. Pikachu is strong, but he's not invincible; in some ways, because he's not evolved. He could defeat Regice, but he couldn't defeat Gary's Eevee and Electivire. Charizard share the fact of being Red's first Pokemon like Ash's Pikachu, but everything else is like Ash's Charizard.

* Jolteon: It's true that Ash never had a Jolteon, but it's clear that his role in Red's team is the same that Ash's Pikachu.

Jolteon got KOed every time it showed up. Pikachu is one of Ash's strongest Pokemon. Charizard is Red's "Pikachu".

You are wrong, my friend. Jolteon was able to defeat Team Rocket (Koffing) in "Chapter 02 - Cubone". Jolteon was defeated by Giovanni's Rhyhorn, the same way Ash's Pikachu was defeated by Giovanni's Persian. He also defeated some of Blue's Pokemon (possibly Pidgeot and some other) before being finally defeated by Blastoise. Pikachu is strong, but he's not invincible; in some ways, because he's not evolved. He could defeat Regice, but he couldn't defeat Gary's Eevee and Electivire. Charizard share the fact of being Red's first Pokemon like Ash's Pikachu, but everything else is like Ash's Charizard.

My point was that Jolteon does not play the same role as Pikachu. Charizard is more suited for that role.

Origin Red's Lizardon is along the lines of a composite between Satoshi's Pikachu, as well as his Satoshi's Lizardon (obviously).

I still think the Origin versions of Red and Green should have had Pikachu and Eevee as their starters, honestly. It's a Red/Green version-based special, sure, but if they're going to throw FRLG and XY crap in there, might as well make a reference to Yellow version, the last Generation I main series game (and my personal favorite out of all the Kanto games).

Well, maybe because there's a big difference here and an important fact. This "Red" is not actually the one from the real "origins", but the one from the remake with "Red Fire" and "Green Leaf". In the original versions, we have the real Red/Ash and his rival Blue/Green/Gary. In the remakes, all the characters are redesigned but they are still the same, except the player character that includes all the new options of the most recent generations, like choosing if you are male or female.

Uh, "real" Red? The Red in the remakes and his rival are still the same characters, just redesigned - I don't see what you're getting at or what you're trying to say. The female character is also a redesign of an intended female player character that was left out of the Red/Green versions.

There's no "Red Fire" or "Green Leaf". It's just Red, Green, and a female character that lacks an official name. The redesign of Red reappeared in HeartGold/SoulSilver and Black 2/White 2 and was clearly named Red in those, not "Red Fire". Likewise, Green is still called Green (or Blue outside of Asia).

Actually, there's a big mystery that bugged me at the same level of who's Ash's father, and it could be solved with the changes in the remake. You see, in the anime's first episode, there was 4 trainers who started their Pokemon journey (Ash, Gary and two "never seen" trainers). That day, at Oak's Lab, there was four Pokemon to pick that day: Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur and Pikachu. We know Ash picked Pikachu and Gary picked Squirtle; therefore, the two "never seen" trainers had to get Charmander and Bulbasaur. And now I believe those two Never-Seen trainers are the player characters from "Red Fire" and "Green Leaf". The female trainer could be the one who picked Bulbasaur, and the male trainer could be the one who picked Charmander. It suits pretty well, don't you think?

The other two trainers that left Masara Town quit being trainers in the middle of Satoshi's Kanto journey. Kind of a weird role to give to player characters (or rather, redesigns) that never "existed" until 2004, especially since the role leaves them unseen and unimportant anyway.

Plus, having two versions of the same character exist in one canon just because they're redesigned is stupid, not to mention absolutely redundant when the spot could be taken by the original characters or filler characters. Using that logic, there should be multiple versions of Katsura running around Kanto... Because of a small oversight with a cameo during DP, we have another anime version of Hibiki/Gold out there besides Kenta in the animeverse which was incredibly redundant, we certainly don't need another Red hogging up space, especially with Origin giving us a sweet alternative canon that provides another Red, which doesn't cause any confusion or redundancy at all (or at least, shouldn't).

Richie started with Charmander, and hes basically a palette swapped Red.

We know Hiroshi owned a Hitokage (Zippo), but it's not known if it's his starter. It could have easily been Leon, his Pikachu, since he was designed to be an expy of Satoshi. It's safe to rule him out as one of the kids that left Masara Town at the same time as Satoshi, seeing as he's still a trainer.

Also, he's certainly *not* a palette swap of Red. That would be Satoshi, Red's anime counterpart. Yes, they all wear hats, but the actual details in Hiroshi's design look nothing like the details in Red's design. It's not a simple recolor, Hiroshi has an entirely different design.

Look... let's compare their designs.

Game Red (Generation I)

SQK0ebh.png

Satoshi (Anime Red, Generation I)

itslylM.png

- Added facial markings.
- Jacket changed from red to blue
- Hat is somewhat redesigned, and has an L symbol instead of what appears to be the Green Badge (but otherwise, pretty much the same).

Satoshi (Sugimori Art, Generation I)

tumblr_m4536b1FIy1r64jmlo1_400.jpg

Looks absolutely no different from Red, he even loses his facial markings. This is Ken Sugimori's depiction of Satoshi, no joke.

Hiroshi (Anime-Original Character)

HsvHTMN.jpg

richie.jpg

- Different hat with some sort of strap, and it's not even the same color.
- Different hairstyle, and different hair color.
- Completely different clothes.

Look, it's a kid with a weird hairstyle and a hat. OK. Could be used to describe every other protagonist in this series. He is *reminiscent* of Red, sure, but that's only because he was made to be reminiscent of Satoshi, who is technically the anime's equivalent of Red. Friggin' Touya is reminiscent of Red, are we going to make connections between them now too?

Last edited:
I don't usually make a point to watch the dub versions of episodes, but I loved this series so much I gave it a shot. I made myself be patient with it and wait until all the episodes were up :p

Imo they did a fantastic job dubbing this. The dialogue & voices were great, and the Mega Charizard X/Mewtwo scene was just as amazing as I remembered it to be. I was afraid I'd be a little bored watching something I've already seen a few times, but I was just as captivated as I was the first time. It gave me back all of those happy memories of playing Red/Blue as a kid <3 I was so excited when Blue said "Smell ya later"

But one thing I noticed, did they cut out the short flashback of Charmander when Charizard was slashing Mewtwo? Red still said something about how much Charmander had grown, but I don't remember seeing the flashback of it swiping.

I really hope they release this on DVD outside of Japan, I'd definitely buy it.

I want to comment something else from these special episodes, and I hope there will be some more answers to it. You see, I have a suspiction that some of the things we saw in the episodes could be spoilers about future events in the anime. It's very possible, considering that one of the objetives of these specials was the introduction of MegaCharizard X. Anyway, these are the spoilers I suspect they were hiding inside the episodes; about what it could happen in Ash's adventures in Kalos:

+ MegaCharizard X: It's clear that Ash's Charizard will appear during the Kalos' adventures, and it will surely gain a Megaevolution. In my opinion, that Megaevolution will be MegaCharizard X, as it's the one used by Red's Charizard and both Pokemon have a lot of similarities. There are other reasons to suspect on MegaCharizard X. It look slike a Shiny Charizard, it's the Megaevolution more similar physically to regular Charizard, it replaces the Flying type by the Dragon type, most of the current attacks of Ash's Charizard are physical (Slash, Wing Attack and Dragon Tail), and it shares similarities with the Legendary Dragon of Teselia (black Dragon type like Zekrom and Fire/Dragon type like Reshiram).
+ Lapras: I want to believe that Ash's Lapras will return in this Generation (as it did in Johto), and this time, it will stay with Ash. I have been suspecting this since I know Lapras is one of the rideable Pokemon with their own animation in the games.
+ Jolteon: OK, I'm not convinced of this idea, but after so much time, I think it will be time for Ash to capture another Electric Pokemon. A Jolteon looks good, honestly; but in case Ash catch an Eevee, he could also evolve it to Sylveon and gain a Fairy type Pokemon (but this Pokemon doesn't look like worthy for Ash, honestly).
+ Haunter-Gengar: I think is time for Ash to capture a Ghost Type Pokemon too. I guess the normal option would be a Ghost Type from Kalos, but I think it would be better for Ash to capture a Gengar. In the Sinnoh games, there was a special time when you could capture wild Gengars in the "Rotom Mansion". Besides, for what I heard, Gengar is Ken Sugimori's favourite Pokemon.

+ Hitmonlee: I would like to think that Ash will capture one of these Pokemon because it suits him well, after seeing him using a Hitmonle in "Pasta la Vista". However, as it's a pure Fighting Type Pokemon, I would like to think maybe this is a clue that Ash's Primeape will finally return to the anima and with Ash. We haven't see it from years, but they have kept remembering us his existence with several cameos. So, why not?
+ Kabutops: I think it's also time for Ash to finally get a Fossil Pokemon, as they don't seem to be as "dificult to obtain" anymore and we have seen several trainers with this kind of Pokemon in the past. Kabutos is the most "offensive" between him and Omastar (who is "defensive"); so I believe Ash could possibly capture the most "offensive" Fossil Pokemon of Kalos, Tyrunt/Tyrantrum. This Pokemon also has a big similarity with Greymon, from Pokemon's "twin anime" (Digimon); which could be another reason for Ash to capture it.
+ Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres: Some old Legendary Pokemon are not as "great" as they used to be; so I believe Ash could finally capture a Legendary Pokemon in the future. I believe maybe Ash could capture a Moltres, as it's the Pokemon you see in Kalos if you pick Froakie as your starter Pokemon. Besides, ironically, Moltres is a firebird, as the potentially future Ash's Talonflame.
+ Mewtwo: Well, the writers of the anime own us a big explanation because of the existence of a second Mewtwo. But anyway, since it seems Mewtwo is no longer an "unique Pokemon", and in Kalos you find this Pokemon in a secret cave (like in the first generation's games), I would like to think maybe Ash will capture a Mewtwo in this Generation. He could also befriend the same Pokemon he met in the first movie and it decides to go with Ash voluntarily. In anyway, it would be a Mewtwo with the Megaevolution of MegaMewtwo X, as it suits for Ash being partially a Fighting type Pokemon.

+ Great Ball/Ultra Ball/Master Ball: After seeing these PokeBalls in the specials, I believe they will finally debuted in the anime; possibly in the PokeBall's Factory. If Ash gets some of these PokeBalls, they will surely be used to capture some "important" Pokemon.
+ Giovanni Rematch: This is something they will have to give us, one way or another. After so many years, in Tesselia, Ash and Giovanni finally have a direct battle; but Ash's Pikachu lost too easily to Giovanni's Persian. This can't be left this way!! In Kalos, they will have to give us a rematch of Ash vs Giovanni; allowing Ash to win this time. My opinion, it will be a battle with Ash using his Charizard, just like Red won his Gym Battle against Giovanni using his Charizard.

Well, what do you think of these potential predictions?

The world doesn't revolve around the regular anime, so I see no reason to assume that Origin foreshadows anything about Ash's story. There is a reason why Origin is a separate continuity.

Because of Origins poor viewship in japan i doubt it will become a standard series.
That's flawed logic considering that it got roughly the same ratings as the regular anime is getting these days. Ratings are an imprecise measure for various reasons, anyway.

The world doesn't revolve around the regular anime, so I see no reason to assume that Origin foreshadows anything about Ash's story. There is a reason why Origin is a separate continuity.

I know that, but Red's story had a lot of similarities with some of the events from Ash's story in the anime; as I already mentioned them in a previous post. So, if there are similarities with past events, why wouldn't it be similarities with future events too?

So any word on whether this will get a DVD/Blu-ray release here in the US? It seems awful silly not to since it would make a fortune if they did.

I watched the Japanese version but not the dub yet, I will later. But I just wanna say that I really did enjoy it and wish so bad that this can be like a series. I always enjoyed the anime but Ash isn't growing up and not really maturing so basically we are watching the exact same thing over and over again, and in his time in Unova didn't do him any justice at all but XY series is making the anime fun for me again. And I kinda wish that Red picked Bulbasaur like in the manga and have Green/Blue get Charmander cause for me, Charizard gets to much love everywhere; Charizard is getting overrated.

I watched the Japanese version but not the dub yet, I will later. But I just wanna say that I really did enjoy it and wish so bad that this can be like a series. I always enjoyed the anime but Ash isn't growing up and not really maturing so basically we are watching the exact same thing over and over again, and in his time in Unova didn't do him any justice at all but XY series is making the anime fun for me again. And I kinda wish that Red picked Bulbasaur like in the manga and have Green/Blue get Charmander cause for me, Charizard gets to much love everywhere; Charizard is getting overrated.

Charmander is my favorite pokemon along with Charizard so it actually made me happy. ^_^ Besides, Mega Venusaur wouldn't look that cool fighting Mewtwo... haha. Just my opinion.

Charmander is my favorite pokemon along with Charizard so it actually made me happy. ^_^ Besides, Mega Venusaur wouldn't look that cool fighting Mewtwo... haha. Just my opinion.
Yea the scene where it rises from the water would be problematic for Venusaur. Besides, theres no Mega Venusaur X to promote.

Yea the scene where it rises from the water would be problematic for Venusaur. Besides, theres no Mega Venusaur X to promote.

If they did it like the manga, there would be no need for that scene lol but yeah, I understand you all

"The manga" you're referring to is only one out of more than a dozen Pokemon manga that exist.

Why should any anime take its example over all the others? While I agree they could have done this special in a number of different and better ways than they did, I don't agree that they should have based it off anything but the games - not some alternative interpretation of them. They should make their own. References and inspirations from other adaptations are alright, but the product itself better be an entirely new adaptation unto itself.

Besides, theres no Mega Venusaur X to promote.
What does it matter? Mega Evolution is Mega Evolution. I don't see your point. They could have definitely used the Mega Evolution it already has and promoted the concept all the same, had they used Fushigibana instead of Lizardon.

Last edited:
Mega Venusaur, Mega Blastoise and Mega Charizard Y were already promoted, they wanted to shock us with the black Dragon type Mega Charizard X in the special.
You do realize that they didn't have to reveal any of the starters' Mega Evolutions back in September, right? The surprise factor could have worked with any Mega Evolution.

Why did they make the special you may ask? (#New_bodies is exactly my point about Mega Charizard X)
Where are these toys you speak of? I haven't seen any for Mega Charizard X or even Charizard itself recently.

I like how the Pokemon no longer say their own names. I always found that to be strange.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom